Thread: Automatic Feeding System keeps turning on

Regular Vistor

Automatic Feeding System keeps turning on

My AFS is turning on when it shouldn't be. I use a virtual outlet (V_Feeder) to control the AFS (Feeder_3_1). I have the VO set to turn on for 1 min 3 different times during the day. Each time the AFS does 1 drum rotation.

I was just sitting here doing tank maintenance and noticed the AFS kept turning on every 5ish mins. The outlets shouldnt be on. Is there something wrong with my programming?

Feeder_3_1
    OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
    If Output V_Feeder = ON Then ON
    If Output V_Feeder = OFF Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then ON
    Defer 000:15 Then OFF

V_Feeder
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 09:00 to 09:01 Then ON
    If Time 13:30 to 13:31 Then ON
    If Time 18:00 to 18:01 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then ON

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Any chance that you had feed mode A on to do the maintenance, lol? Has it been working fine previously? Besides a little redundancy I don't see why it wouldn't.
    Chad

The Feeder program is not right. The way you have it, the OSC statement serves no purpose - it will never be in control of the output state because one of the next two lines will always be true. Also, you shouldn't use two conditional statements (If xxxxx) to test the state of the same output or switch input.... use a Set statement and one If statement. Lastly, there's no benefit to that Defer statement - the AFS will run when it is turned on, and complete its cycle even it the AFS output is turned off while it is part way through that cycle, so there is no point in keeping it on an extra 15 seconds. Now, if you change that to Defer #### Then ON, there would be value; if you also turn of your return pump, skimmer, and/or powerheads when V_Feeder is on, then a 30-second Defer Then ON would delay the feeder cycle a bit, long enough to let the water movement in the tank calm down a bit before the food drops.

Your Feeder_3_1 program should be:

Set OFF
    If Output V_Feeder = ON Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then ON
    Defer 000:030 Then ON (optional)

Lastly, Fallback mode is not available in virtual outputs, so you can delete that statemnet form the V_Feeder program.

However, this does not explain "turning on every 5ish mins". There's nothing in the programming that could cause that.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    So....., I figured out what happened. My display module had fallen off the wall and the Feed A button was being continuously press.
    When I picked it up if it started working again. Thanks for all the input. I'll update my coding

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonleon89 View Post
    So....., I figured out what happened. My display module had fallen off the wall and the Feed A button was being continuously press.
    When I picked it up if it started working again. Thanks for all the input. I'll update my coding
    Wow, crazy glad you figured it out
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Lol, I didn't even consider that as a possible option until you suggested it. Just assumed it had to be something more serious

- - - Updated - - -

@Russ

I thought the OSC code was needed to control the drum rotations. Since the outlet is one 1min the 30secs on/off equal 1 drum rotation. If I increase the time the outlet was on to 2mins would the drum rotate twice? How would I control the drum rotations with your programming?

I thought the OSC code was needed to control the drum rotations. Since the outlet is one 1min the 30secs on/off equal 1 drum rotation. If I increase the time the outlet was on to 2mins would the drum rotate twice? How would I control the drum rotations with your programming?
    The AFS will only cycle one time after its output is turned ON, even if you leave it ON forever. It will not cycle again until it has been turned OFF then ON again.

As I explained, the OSC is not even doing anything for you in the code you posted; the two If Output V_Feeder statements totally override the OSC.

You already have it turning on for 2 minutes.... your If Time ##:00 to ##:01 Then ON statements result in an ON time of 2 minutes, not 1.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

How would I control the drum rotations with your programming?
    The way you're doing it, I think you'd program each drum rotation separately in V_Feeder. I'm not sure if you'd need a one-minute gap between each rotation although I believe so otherwise it would just be on continuously and the feeder wouldn't be reset for the second or third turn.

If you want multiple turns right in a row the easiest way to program that is with the default style where you use the OSC command and use If Time to specify when you don't want it to run.

My question to you is what is the V_Feeder output doing for you that you can't do by just programming the If Time's and FeedA directly into the Feeder_3_1 output? With this:

OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
    If Time 00:00 to 09:00 Then OFF
    If Time 09:02 to 14:00 Then OFF
    If Time 14:02 to 19:00 Then OFF
    If Time 19:02 to 00:00 Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then ON

It feeds one rotation three times a day. Easy to edit for more than one rotation. If I want to turn the autofeeder off indefinitely, I just set the output to off. If I want to do an extra feeding, I just flick the output to on briefly, and then back to auto. I don't normally use the autofeeder but it works fine this way when I go on vacation. You can even watch the extra manual feed happen if you have a live video feed.