Thread: DC protein skimmer pump programming help

Frequent Visitor

DC protein skimmer pump programming help

So I just picked up a new Varios 4S pump for my protein skimmer and I need a little help with the programming.

I have 3 profiles made

Skim_Clean
    Skim_Feed
    Skim_Norm

A virtual outlet name SkimNorm

What I'm trying to do is have Skim_Norm run after Skim_Clean runs for X amount of time.

Here is my current program on my VarSpd:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output Pump = OFF Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    If Power Main_EB832 Off 001 Then OFF
    If Skim_H CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Here's how I'd do you what you want. I imagine there are other ways but this approach seems to work for me.

At the end of this process, you'll have two output tiles controlling your skimmer pump. One for the actual physical power outlet (on/off), and a virtual output for variable speed control.

First, you'll need to connect an Apex variable out jack to the jack on the bottom of the VarioS controller, using this cable. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mod...le-icecap.html Then you have to program the proper variable speed output. It could be one of 4 tiles, depending on which channel you've connected to your pump controller. (With the Icecap cable attached and looking at the face of the Apex 2016, channel 1,2,3,4 cords run left to right.) Pull the correct tile out from the hidden tiles to your dashboard (if you previously hid it).

In this variable speed tile's programming, first go to the Wizard mode and set just two data points, 00:00 and 23:59; set them to the percentage pump output you want for normal skimming (let's say 50%). This is now the default pump speed whenever this output is set to auto. (Btw, you won't need the skim_norm profile with this approach.) Update your Apex with this.

Then go back to 'Basic View' programming mode. Your Wizard programming will be there, translated into 'tdata'. How do you want to activate Skim_Clean? At certain times of the day? Or by using for example FeedD? Add the appropriate lines and update the Apex. Should now look something like this:

Fallback OFF
    tdata 00:00:00,0,0,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 23:58:00,0,0,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    If Time 08:00 to 08:10 Then Skim_Clean
    If Time 20:00 to 20:10 Then Skim_Clean
    If FeedA 000 Then Skim_Feed
    If FeedD 000 Then Skim_Clean

The X amount of time that Skim_Clean runs, on pressing the FeedD button, is of course, the programmed duration of FeedD.