Thread: Is the ALD being discontinued?

Regular Vistor

Is the ALD being discontinued?

I saw some video coverage from macna where there was casual mention of the leak detection kit and the discontinuation of the ALD. What does discontinued mean in this case?

is it just that Neptune won't be manufacturing them anymore?
    will they continue to be compatible with future firmware updates to apex classic, jr and 2016? and updates to fusion as well?

I'm trying to determine if I should be swapping my 3 ald modules and 6 ld probes out for the fmm ones even though they seem to work perfectly fine.

any info is appreciated.

I was at Macna in New Orleans and didn't hear anything about them going away. I had the classic and now the 2016 apex and the ALD module works fine. Lets hope it stays that way!

Even if they stop offering that configuration for sale (no real reason to have two virtually identical leak detection modules), I'm pretty confident that the ALD will continue to be supported in software, probably indefinitely. (I have two of them, currently running 6 leak sensors. Why do you have 3 ALD connected if running < 9 sensors? )

The ALD is no longer being manufactured. The FMM has all the same functionality as the ALD but is far more versatile, in that you can connect not only leak sensors, but flow sensors and optical sensors as well in any mix of up to 4 sensors you may desire, plus the FMM has a DC24 ACC port for controlling 24VDC-powered accessories. The ALD continues to be supported... replacement leak sensors are still available for ALD owners who may need a new one, and the ALD module itself will continue to be supported in firmware/AOS and by tech support.

There's no need to replace your 3 ALDs just because it is not being manufactured any longer.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Why do you have 3 ALD connected if running < 9 sensors? )
    My guess would be that the ALDs are in different locations, and perhaps also used with different Apexes.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Former User
    I understand that you cant use the ALD leak sensors on the FMM module because they are a different connector. Shame I was hoping to get an FMM and use my original leak detectors and then sell my ALD. Why has the connector had to change !!

Is the ALD being discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by mlandscape View Post
    I understand that you cant use the ALD leak sensors on the FMM module because they are a different connector. Shame I was hoping to get an FMM and use my original leak detectors and then sell my ALD. Why has the connector had to change !!
    Theres a simple explanation for that - the phone style jacks used on the ALD are bigger than the 1/8” jacks used in the FMM - there’s not enough room to squeeze 4 of those bigger jacks and the FMM’s power and DC24 jacks all in the module case.

Former User
    Thanks for explaining Russ

Frequent Visitor
    My leak sensors are all rusted on the metal contacts is that normal? Are the sensors for the FMM any different besides the plug? Mine also are wayyyy too sensitive going off with just the slightest moisture present and half the time I have to disconnect them would the newer version be any better

Regular Vistor
    I run three tanks and a mixing station which has barrels for rodi and new saltwater. The tanks each have a dedicated apex and each of them has an ALD and a few probes. The big tank and sump have 3 probes, the two smaller tanks have 2 each. One of the tanks is close to the two barrels and has some probes placed near them.

Russ - this is great news that I don't need to concern myself with upgrading.