Thread: Ice cap gyre module error

Ice cap gyre module error

My ice cap gyre module constantly errors out, causing pump to just pulse and not spin. I turn off/on power to the ice cap module and it restarts normally without issue.

I've been monitoring it to see if it's related to my apex day and night profile time changes but it's at random intervals.

I am getting frustrating and I have no faith I could go on vacation with this module and am considering going back to the Maxspect controller.

Any one else experience issues with this ice cap module?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I am using the Gyre XF250 with the proper Icecap adapter, and have had no problems like you describe. I have numerous profiles running at different times during the day, and just one at night.

Now it's a different matter, but the flow generated by the Apex/Icecap is much less than that generated with the Gyre's own controller. This surprised the heck out of me; I mean, aren't the Gyre and Icecap made by the same company? Fortunately for me, this Gyre is far too powerful with its own controller (at the higher percentages) for my tank; so the Icecap actually provides more usable range where I need it.

I too have the XF250 and noticed the pump doesn't flow as hard as the same % as the Maxspect controller. I am going to pay attention, but I think the 30% I have programmed that might stall it out periodically. I have some experimenting to do. It's difficult because it is so random and intermittent.

The other thing to consider is maybe your Gyre needs cleaning, although I don't know if that would cause the Icecap to error.

I was emailing with Carlos. He had suggested a cleaning, which I did. Didn't stop the errors

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I mean, aren't the Gyre and Icecap made by the same company?
    No... Icecap is a brand owned by CoralVue; the Gyre XF pumps are manufactured by Maxspect, which is a different company. But, CoralVue is the US & Mexico distributor for Maxspect products... that may be how you got the idea they are the same.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

That and they have an ice cap gyre 4k pump that looks like it's a rebranded Maxspect

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    That and they have an ice cap gyre 4k pump that looks like it's a rebranded Maxspect
    ^^^ This is why I thought that, plus unsubstantiated rumor from lfs employees, which I should really know better than to listen to, ever.

Frequent Visitor
    My ice cap gyre module constantly errors out, causing pump to just pulse and not spin. I turn off/on power to the ice cap module and it restarts normally without issue.

I've been monitoring it to see if it's related to my apex day and night profile time changes but it's at random intervals.

I am getting frustrating and I have no faith I could go on vacation with this module and am considering going back to the Maxspect controller.

Any one else experience issues with this ice cap module?

The only times I get or have an error light flashing on my ice cap interface modules is one of three things.
    1) The wires inside the module are not installed correctly in that they have wire insulation between the contact point, though this would normally be an issue when first using product.
    2) Apex needing to be updated along with web pages, sounds strange though I have had issues with older firmware causing stinks with programming and having weird things happen like one pump taking a break during certain modes. Updated and havent had an issue.
    3) After cleaning the gyre pumps if you have one side or both bearing sleeves too tight against the magnet shaft or gunk built up there will be too much resistance in the motor turning the blades and will trigger an error code. A couple times after cleaning the gyres I had to remove the end caps and rotors to re adjust the bearings and make sure there was good clearance between them and the housing.

As discussed earlier Maxspect and Ice Cap are two separate companies both are just distributed by Coral Vue.

One other thing about the Ice Cap module interfaces is sometimes you have to power cycle them after an error event to reset the module if the code is still showing up. Another thing I've had to do after getting multiple error codes. Make sure you are hooking up the cables to the pump and power cables in the correct order so you do not get another error code.

After much diagnostic I believe I've narrowed it down to the gyre cable. Still require a replacement to confirm.

New User
    I’ve had issues with one of my gyres not putting out max flow when the opposite gyre is. I found the gyre was actually running in reverse so when I turned on the unused variable speed port In the apex the pump reverse direction and flow was high again. Narrowed down to a cable but never confirmed. Coralvue is very good with helping and sending replacement parts to help troubleshoot. Having this same problem now with my other gyre so not sure if it’s apex code or what. The variable speed switch thing doesn’t fix the problem.

Frequent Visitor
    Can somebody point out the advantages or disadvantage using the APEX vs the Advanced Controller?

Quote Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
    Can somebody point out the advantages or disadvantage using the APEX vs the Advanced Controller?
    Advantages of icecap/apex

-1 touch feed mode
    -Ability to adjust percentage/flow strength at specific time intervals
    -ability to program safety type programming

Disadvantage icecap/apex

-Less simplistic
    -added cost

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks. I am trying also to avoid 1 single point of failure so your points helped me out.

- - - Updated - - -

Advantages of icecap/apex

-1 touch feed mode
    -Ability to adjust percentage/flow strength at specific time intervals
    -ability to program safety type programming

Disadvantage icecap/apex

-Less simplistic
    -added cost

Thanks. I am trying also to avoid 1 single point of failure so your points helped me out.

New User
    Hey Realist did you find the cause of the problems? I am having the same issue where the pump randomly turns off

Quote Originally Posted by cottagereefere View Post
    Hey Realist did you find the cause of the problems? I am having the same issue where the pump randomly turns off
    Coral vue finally sent me a new module.