Thread: RO water automation

New User

RO water automation

Hi All,

I am completely new to Apex following many years with a GHL system. I am sure this has been covered so sorry for asking for help here. I have not programmed anything so far on the unit beyond simple socket function.

What I want to achieve is to automate my RO reservoir and RO flushing. I want to use a high and low optical float switch to trigger the RO unit turning on and off. I then have a solenoid on the main feed to the RO unit and on the flush. It also has a booster pump that needs turned on. So want the following:

1. Float switch shows reservoir low.
    2. Turn on main RO feed and booster pump.
    3. Turn on membrane flush for 1 minute.
    4. Flush membrane for 1 minute each hour.
    5. This keeps going until float switch shows reservoir full.
    6. Flush membrane for 1 minute.
    7. Off and wait for low sensor again.

Can this be achieved? If so I would really appreciate an idea on how to code it.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Andrew.

Well, this is a very rough sketch and I haven't tried it out, but this is how I'd start with this problem:

Physical outlet controlling both the main ro solenoid and the booster pump, since they turn on together.

Main_Boost:
    Fallback OFF
    If FSLow OPEN Then ON
    If FSHigh CLOSED Then OFF

EDIT: Apparently the membrane flush coding below won't work. I'm sure there's still a way to do what you want, but it would take me a good while to figure it out!

Physical outlet for the membrane flush solenoid:

MemFlush:
    Set OFF
    If Output Main_Boost = ON Then Flush010059

The Profile you use for the flush could look something like this:

Clipboard03.jpg

I didn't put in your last membrane flush. I'm sure it's doable but the method isn't coming to me at the moment. Maybe Russ or someone else will chime in. And, your code may be different depending on exactly how your solenoids operate.

Also, you'll probably want to program various email and/or text alerts in case something goes wrong. Say if the pump runs too long to be normal or if the low sensor stays closed too long to be normal. And you can add leak detectors.
    Last edited by rkpetersen; 10-01-2017 at 10:39. Reason: i did not know that

I would do this instead since profiles don't work on outlets. Replace the outlet names I show with actual ones. The When line is optional but if it takes less than 12 hours to fill I would use it to minimize water on the floor in the event of a float failure. I show 12 hours. I would set it 125% of normal fill time

RO
    If LowSw OPEN Then ON
    If HighSw CLOSED Then OFF
    When ON > 720:00 Then OFF

Booster
    Set OFF
    If Outlet RO = ON Then ON

Flush
    OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON
    If Outlet RO = OFF Then OFF
    If LowSw OPEN Then ON

The flush won't be on for a set time without some overly complex code, so what I did instead here is allow the flushing to turn on between when the low switch closes to when it opens which should keep it on for the first couple minutes.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I would do this instead since profiles don't work on outlets. Replace the outlet names I show with actual ones. I am also assuming your floats are oriented such that UP = OPEN. The When line is optional but if it takes less than 12 hours to fill I would use it to minimize water on the floor in the event of a float failure. I show 12 hours. I would set it 125% of normal fill time

RO
    If LowSw CLOSED Then ON
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF
    When ON > 720:00 Then OFF

Booster
    Set OFF
    If Outlet RO = ON Then ON

Flush
    If LowSw CLOSED Then ON

The flush won't be on for a set time without some overly complex code, so what I did instead here is allow the flushing to turn on between when the low switch closes to when it opens which should keep it on for the first couple minutes.

OMG, who is this?
    Chad

I would do this instead since profiles don't work on outlets. Replace the outlet names I show with actual ones. I am also assuming your floats are oriented such that UP = OPEN.
    This is some excellent information. Although he mentions using optical sensors. With the Neptune ones I'm using, low level is open and high level is closed.

One question - A simple 0%/100% pump profile won't function to switch an outlet? I wondered about this myself. I don't think I've actually used it, but I did notice that the code will upload to the Apex on a physical outlet.

About the flush - I envisioned that the OP wants this RO system to run for many hours, maybe storing the output in a large tank, and that's why he wants to flush it for a minute every hour. Trying to figure out how to make that happen.

Oh, and the reason I put the RO and Booster together - If you're short on physical outlets (as I was before I got a second EB), I've found that it works to put two or more devices on one outlet via a short splitter cord, if the devices always (or optionally) go on and off together. For example, I have my ozonizer and the air pump that supplies it (through an air dryer) plugged in to the same outlet. None of the devices I'm using (including LED lights x 3) are high enough wattage individually that this should be a problem, especially for the EB832, and it hasn't been.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    This is some excellent information. Although he mentions using optical sensors. With the Neptune ones I'm using, low level is open and high level is closed.
    Updated original post. Didn't look closely enough to see optical.

One question - A simple 0%/100% pump profile won't function to switch an outlet? I wondered about this myself. I don't think I've actually used it, but I did notice that the code will upload to the Apex on a physical outlet.
    Just tested this because I forgot exactly what happened. If you use a profile on an actual outlet or virtual outlet it says on the dashboard that the profile is in effect but the outlet just stays OFF.

New User
    Hi rkpeterson,

Yes you are correct. I have a 600 litre RO tank. So it takes a long time to fill. The idea is that it would be running for a long time and a flush at a timed interval would be good for the membrane long term.

Thanks for the code. I am a little unsure of what the OSC code that Zombie has created will do? Is that one flush after one hour then off?

Regards,

Andrew.

If you use a profile on an actual outlet or virtual outlet it says on the dashboard that the profile is in effect but the outlet just stays OFF.
    That is unfortunate. Would be nice to have profiles controlling outlets and not just variable speed ports.

Quote Originally Posted by evian_domino View Post
    Hi rkpeterson,

Yes you are correct. I have a 600 litre RO tank. So it takes a long time to fill. The idea is that it would be running for a long time and a flush at a timed interval would be good for the membrane long term.

Thanks for the code. I am a little unsure of what the OSC code that Zombie has created will do? Is that one flush after one hour then off?

Regards,

Andrew.
    The OSC makes the flush solenoid turn on for 1 minute every hour on the top of the hour.

New User
    Thanks Zombie. I have just been looking up OSC to understand it. Appreciate the help.

That is unfortunate. Would be nice to have profiles controlling outlets and not just variable speed ports.
    All profiles are specifically for use with a certain type of output; in some cases, a profile type may be used with more than one type of output, such as the Ramp type profile.

No profile type works with any output type which is capable of only ON/OFF operation.

Previously you mentioned a Pump profile w/ 0% & 100% Intensities. For a outlet that is only either ON or OFF, the OSC statement provides the equivalent on/off cycling at defined intervals.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Zombie, doesn't he want the flush code to look like this? (I think you just forgot to flip the low switch for the optical sensors.)

Flush
    If LowSw OPEN Then ON

BTW, this is really great, simple and elegant, using the low switch to turn it on and the RO outlet to turn it off. I was thinking about how to use the OSC command for this but couldn't quite get there.

Zombie, doesn't he want the flush code to look like this? (I think you just forgot to flip the low switch for the optical sensors.)

Flush
    If LowSw OPEN Then ON

BTW, this is really great, simple and elegant, using the low switch to turn it on and the RO outlet to turn it off. I was thinking about how to use the OSC command for this but couldn't quite get there.
    Yes. Forgot to change that for optical.

New User
    What am I missing here? When the low switch activates the RO feed then it switches on as does the booster. However as soon as the switch is submerged again it switches off. Doesn't wait for the High switch.

Hope I am making sense.

Help please.

Quote Originally Posted by evian_domino View Post
    What am I missing here? When the low switch activates the RO feed then it switches on as does the booster. However as soon as the switch is submerged again it switches off. Doesn't wait for the High switch.

Hope I am making sense.

Help please.
    You should not have a set OFF statement in the RO outlet, but should have one in the booster outlet.

Can you copy and paste your current exact code for all 3 outlets? Might be something simple to correct.

New User
    Here are the three:

RO_Tap (Supply to RO Unit)

Fallback OFF
    If ROLevL OPEN Then ON
    If ROLevH CLOSED Then OFF
    If RO_Sup CLOSED Then ON

I have a switch box that operates the solenoid if I want to manually switch it on. (This works as expected. It was not in there tomstart with so don't believe it's causing the issue.)

Booster:

Set OFF
    If Output Unused = ON Then ON

RO_Flush

If Output RO_Tap = OFF Then OFF
    If RO_Flu CLOSED Then ON

Opinions welcome.

What is 'Output Unused'? Could it be turning off your booster prematurely?

And it looks like RO_Sup is a momentary switch and not a toggle; just want to confirm this.