Thread: ATK 'Advanced Programming' - help needed

New User

ATK 'Advanced Programming' - help needed

Hi guys,

We are new to the forum here. I tried talking with support on what we want to do and they suggested we hit up the experts - you guys! I'm a beginner working within Apex, however I have successfully setup a few different pieces this far including our Auto water change via DOS, we have the basics setup with temp monitoring, Ph monitoring, Calcium reactor up and running, etc. Now we have the ATK and we want to see what we can do with it!

If our thought process is off, or you know of a better way, we are all ears.

We have ATK, 2 additional 'optical sensors' (I call them eyes) and the Neptune solenoid.

This is the end picture in 2 separate programmings:

1st: Sump auto top off via DOS
    We have eye 1 & 2 in the sump for high and low. We want to be able to do the following:

If switch (eye) 1 is open (water is low) run DOS for X ml
    If Ph is above 8.1, use fresh (left pump on DOS)
    If Ph is below 8.09, use Kalk (right pump on DOS)

2nd Piece: Top off freshwater reservoir
    Eyes 3&4 will be in the fresh container. We want the water to get down to eye 3, and fill to eye 4. Is there a way to let it drop all the way to eye 3 and tell it to fill to eye 4? I don’t want this one filling constantly, only filling the gap between the eyes when needed versus running on and off all day topping off the ATO reservoir.

We also are planning on using an additional mechanical float switch within the ATO freshwater reservoir similar to the ones that are on the ATK set.

In the future, we want to add another solenoid with a 10 minute purge before the ATO is filled that can be controlled by the energy bar.

So, what do you guys think? Can you suggest the advanced programming for this and help walk me through it a bit? I really am intrigued to learn this all and hope to understand it further so I don't have to come on here for every piece needed. The Apex is recognizing the ATK, and ready to start working - your help is appreciated!

To clarify further, I'm not looking to make this advanced, if you have easier solutions, I'm all ears!

This is the approach I would take personally.

First, take a rough guess or estimate on the evaporation per day, then double that value. Then go into the DOS wizard and set it to dose that value for both heads over a 24 hour period. If you have no idea set it for a couple gallons and you can fine tune by checking the logs after running it for a few days.

Then navigate over to the advanced tab of the DOS setup and add these lines (replace switch names to match)

(For Kalk head)
    If LowSw CLOSED Then OFF
    If HighSw CLOSED Then OFF
    If pH > 8.09 Then OFF

(For fresh head)
    If LowSw CLOSED Then OFF
    If HighSw CLOSED Then OFF
    If pH < 8.10 Then OFF

For the reservoir refill, start with this and you can add some safety lines after it's tested and you have a rough idea how long the fill takes. I am showing a when statement with Xs remove that line to start, and once you have timed the fill, replace the Xs with 1.25 to 1.5 times the fill time. Note there should not be a set statement.

Fallback OFF
    If ResLow OPEN Then ON
    If ResHigh CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > XXX:XX Then OFF

In addition to all of this, there are a lot of other optional things you can do for alerts and failsafes. If you are interested check out my how-to guide entitled "ATO Failsafes" to learn those methods.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Zombie, you are amazing. I didn't think this would be overly complex, and thank you for taking the time to respond with full detail. I'm excited to get this running tonight and will check back in with how it's doing. Also headed to checkout your ATO failsafes thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Zombie, where can I find your article? Searched the forum and don't see any threads with ATO failsafes created by you?

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ATO-Failsafes

By using the DOS wizard, you are already performing the OSC based approach in effect. The good takeaways for your particular code that may be good additions are the stuck switch detection and conductivity cutoff. Note those are all written for float switches, so OPEN vs CLOSED has the opposite behavior for optical switches.

New User
    Great. Thank you.

My module is reading 1,3&4 are full, however I only have 1,2&3 plugged in right now. Any idea or resolution on how to fix it to read the correct switches for the eye sensors? I'm nervous to get this all going when it's reading the wrong sensors or labeling them incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by MrReefK View Post
    Great. Thank you.

My module is reading 1,3&4 are full, however I only have 1,2&3 plugged in right now. Any idea or resolution on how to fix it to read the correct switches for the eye sensors? I'm nervous to get this all going when it's reading the wrong sensors or labeling them incorrectly.

Go to the module page and make sure all 4 are configured as optical and then upload. The ATK getting started page has a video that explains that process if it isn't obvious what you need to do when you get to that page. If configured properly, an unplugged switch will read as CLOSED.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Go to the module page and make sure all 4 are configured as optical and then upload. The ATK getting started page has a video that explains that process if it isn't obvious what you need to do when you get to that page. If configured properly, an unplugged switch will read as CLOSED.

Got it now. Had to unplug the module and everything plugged into it - went through the 'task' again to get it to recognize and it picked up the 2nd without a problem this time. Thanks!