Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TRIDENT only for the new Apex models ?

Whatever man. People like you just kill me. It just kills me the amount of people that complain over prices. If you want minimum wage to go up guess what everything else goes up with it. To include an Apex! Nothing's cheap anymore. I hold Neptune responsible for everything I purchase from them. I've gotten upset because I've ordered modules that come in not working or after doing the upgrade I had problems. Yes I hold them accountable because I need the system to work. I'm away from home a lot and don't have time to try and fix something that's not working but to sit here and complain because they came out with a newer and better system is ridiculous. Call it what you want I don't care if it's a PC or not a PC. Bottom line is again there in the business to make money just like every other business out there. That's the way it works. Not sure how you don't get this? They put it out there that the older model doesn't support the Trident and other things due to memory issues or what not. I'm not a computer expert not sure why but they said it from the very beginning and didn't try to mislead anyone. Yes they still sell the classic for God sakes why wouldn't they? It's the cheaper older model for those that can't afford the newest thing. No shame in that I used to be one of those people that couldn't afford the newest devices out there. I bought the new one and turned around and sold the old one within a couple days for $150. It always comes down to money and while I'm not trying to belittle anyone or make anyone feel bad that can't afford the newest Apex that's no reason to turn around and talk crap to Neptune just because they came out with a newer Apex that has newer devices that can be attached to it that aren't compatible with the old one. It's not like they didn't tell you this from the very beginning and even if they didn't mention a word of it again that's how it works. They're not doing anything that no other company out there does. Not a car company, not a phone company, not a computer company. Yeah yeah yeah I get it there not a car, phone or computer but it's the same darn principle. It's business. Get over it and move on and stop trying to hide behind your “loyalty” crude.. Nobody’s buying that crap..

Quote Originally Posted by Chase_Dreams View Post
    Listen only whiner is you attacking on a personal level 藍 I can Afford it thanks for your concern though No I do not want to spend in something I already have . As I said in earlier post (you should try to read them ) it's more about Loyalty then money which is the truth . Are you calling me a liar because you offer not one intelligent response? Just personal jabs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Thanks for that info . Do you know how much memory they hold or No ?

I dont know the byte value but it's enough to hold roughly 3 months of data on a classic with one EB8 at 1 minute intervals. The 2016 had like 4 or 8 times the memory I believe.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Fusion is just a interface from web to the controllers internal web interface. But oh well someone don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TRIDENT 2018 only for the new Apex models ?

As stated in the Forum Rules and Policies: "The most important policy is that we expect all forum users to conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner."

Having a spirited discussion is OK, but when that discussion degrades into name-calling and other forms of uncivil behavior, it's time for me to step in... TONE IT DOWN - NOW!

Got it. Unfortunately sometimes "civil and courteous" just doesn't get the point across but I understand where your coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by SysAdmin View Post
    As stated in the Forum Rules and Policies: "The most important policy is that we expect all forum users to conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner."

Having a spirited discussion is OK, but when that discussion degrades into name-calling and other forms of uncivil behavior, it's time for me to step in... TONE IT DOWN - NOW!

Control Freak In Training
    My opinion, Neptune is a marketing driven company, and they are damn good at relieving me of money for all their cool stuff. When I bought my system almost a year ago I debated classic vs new, I read that the company would try to keep things compatable and trusted they would. I also understood that the new product had to be more than the same old stuff put in a new package. In the end I decided on the 2016 because I knew this day would come eventually. Will I be upset if a newer apex comes out in a few years and eventfully an accessory comes out I can't run, why of course. But if it is as awesome as I expect it will be because Neptune hits mostly home runs (or at least a double lol) every time they get a product ready to release, I will likely pony up the money because Im sure I will want it.

The world according to Krazie: The classic Apex is still being made and sold because not everyone wants every capability and every new feature of the new device. This has been proven with the super long life of the Original Aqua controller, the Jr. and the Lite apex's that are not only still around but have applications outside of just tank control. Making one product to fit all customers is a very hard thing to do.

There have been three modules and three devices released since the new Apex was released with it's new EB that is not compatible with the classic. Those devices and modules all work on the classic even though the 2016 apex was already out. Trident is the first device, outside of the Apex 2016 bundled EB832, that will not work with the classic. Heck even Apple obsoleted all of my charging docks and portable speakers when they switched from there original connector to the lightning connector on their devices. That was a conscious decision on their part to force an upgrade. The Trident not working is due to an incompatibility of a new technology with an old device.

Let me see if this puts it into perspective. A 9 year old device is somehow supposed to work with a device that not only did not exist 9 years ago but there was very little information (and no devices outside of a lab) regarding measurements of this kind. Neptune stating that it doesn't work fits into one of a couple of boxes, one: that they put in the time and effort to try and make it work and were just not able to do it due to technology or other issues (and we trust them with that result), or two that they are intentionally forcing you to upgrade to further the sales of their new platform (which you will probably never know if that is the case). We have to choose for ourselves which one we believe and go with that. Unless, you work for Neptune and know which case it is. Neptune has been clear that there would be devices that would not work with the classic, but ask us as users to believe that they did everything they could to make it work. Now we have a device that doesn't, and we either choose to move in the direction of the new device or stay where we are. Is the new capability important to you or not is really the question because the path has already been set and confirmed.

I understand that it's frustrating that we have to change but the fact is the Trident, for whatever reason, will not work with the classic. This thread shows that you see the Trident as an important device for your reefing needs (if it didn't you wouldn't care if it worked or not) and therefore should plan on the upgrade of either a new bundle or a new head unit (if it's offered). The frustration won't change at this point as I don't believe that the Trident will be made to work with the classic.

Frequent Visitor
    The Trident is not compatible with the Classic, only with the new 2016 model. Whether that’s OS/hardware/anything else is irrelevant.

im sure Neptune would sell many more Tridents if it was backward compatible, so just take their word for it.

As a strong suggestion, it would be nice if they did a bundle with the Trident and the brain or trade in against the Classic brain. This would help both Neptune and its customer base

Frequent Visitor
    I really want an upgrade offer from Neptune on my classic. Nothing but the brain, since I already have all the other components. No way am I buying an entire new kit with an energy bar, probes when I already have those and they work, just to get the brain. Come on Neptune, release the brain as a single component, it would drive sales and allow for more Tridents. With the cost of the system the way it is and competition coming onto the market, it would really help.

Regular Vistor
    I wonder how much it will be

Quote Originally Posted by Linkfalcon View Post
    I wonder how much it will be

Trident: $500 - $600 is their expected price

Frequent Visitor
    I don't understand the discussion ... really!

So apple for instance. They still sell the 5SE brand new ... and the 5SE does not support face recognition ... should it now that iPhone X is coming out?

According to some people ... they should right? have a special upgrade program for the 5SE users ... well those 5SE owners they must feel cheeted as they might actually bought the 5SE a week prior to iPhone X announcement.

Neptune ... keep doing what you do ... Trident bring them on ... and if you sell just the brain then perfect ... if not I will probably buy the new version anyway as I need a new energy bar and since I have everything on top of APEX ... a brain backup would feel nice!

All the best,
    Rui

Frequent Visitor
    I said this elsewhere .... I'd hate to see Neptune, or any company frankly, constrain innovation based on the limitations of legacy hardware. Believe them or don't believe them, but tech has come a long way since the classic architecture was developed and it seems entirely reasonable that certain modules will not be backwards compatible.

Frequent Visitor
    The issue for me was buying stuff I already had and being unable to but stuff I need.

Already had, lab grade probes with another year or two left.
    Had: Already bought a pm2.
    Had 3 EB8s.....need more and will prob buy a 3rd.

Need but won't be able to buy, a spare 2016 head unit....i won't ever run my tanks without a back up unit in hand. I am told however that I might be able to buy a 2nd head unit...AFTER I buy 1 full system...dont know if true.

Possible solutions: Wait an extra year or two....ill need all new probes etc. By then anyway.

Apex expands a package options....i would buy a head unit/Trident combo or even a Head unit/EB832/Trident combo pretty much the day they offer those. Depending on when the trident hits market it may be academic....i already might need new probes etc.

Sales...Apex had a 10% sale over the summer but I saw no need to go through the hassle and $700 just to get an EB832 right now........i might feel differently if the happen to run another 10% of sale once the Trident is out and my probes all have that extra life on them cause then it won't be "just for an EB32" ...ill be getting my replacement probes, an EB832 and a trident............ So I believe even a bundle package with the full unit plus a trident sold as a bundled discount may work to.

Hints for Terrence.

I can...if I have to...use my apex classic as my emergency backup unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I'm in a similar situation, but I just figure that probes need replacing, so spares are fine, and extra modules can always either be sold or pressed into alternative roles (PM2 as additional temp).

I don't know about you all but one thing I have found is I have had to purchase energy bars left and right because I needed Outlets 4 and 8. For example I have an air pump that I use on a battery backup that kicks on if they apex power goes out problem is it wouldn't kick on and off unless it was in outlets 4 and 8. I've also had other small pumps do the same thing. Had a small pump running a reactor but when I go to do a water change it wouldn't shut off so I had to plug it into either Outlet 4 or 8. Next thing you know I ended up with 6 energy bars. Here recently I purchased two of the eb832 energy bars (one came with apex). Couple nights ago I tore everything apart to reorganize the outlets and now I have 3 energy bars that I don't even need because of the eb832 energy bar having 8 relay Outlets AND i still have 1 outlet available on a 832 and 7 on one of the eb8's (not that I needed all outlets on all 6 eb8's to begin with). Here's a picture of before and after. Still a rats nest of wires but looks a LOT better than before! My point is while the Apex 2016 is nice I'm loving the energy bars even more. You may not have the problem I have but I just thought I would mention it.

Before
    Old wiring setup.jpg

After
    New wiring setup.jpg

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Eb4 would work.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by joenla View Post
    I don't know about you all but one thing I have found is I have had to purchase energy bars left and right because I needed Outlets 4 and 8. For example I have an air pump that I use on a battery backup that kicks on if they apex power goes out problem is it wouldn't kick on and off unless it was in outlets 4 and 8. I've also had other small pumps do the same thing. Had a small pump running a reactor but when I go to do a water change it wouldn't shut off so I had to plug it into either Outlet 4 or 8. Next thing you know I ended up with 6 energy bars. Here recently I purchased two of the eb832 energy bars (one came with apex). Couple nights ago I tore everything apart to reorganize the outlets and now I have 3 energy bars that I don't even need because of the eb832 energy bar having 8 relay Outlets AND i still have 1 outlet available on a 832 and 7 on one of the eb8's (not that I needed all outlets on all 6 eb8's to begin with). Here's a picture of before and after. Still a rats nest of wires but looks a LOT better than before! My point is while the Apex 2016 is nice I'm loving the energy bars even more. You may not have the problem I have but I just thought I would mention it.

Before
    Old wiring setup.jpg

After
    New wiring setup.jpg
    I'll take one of the EB8s off your hands.

Yeah I have a eb4 but I didn't want to just buy them being they only have 4 outlets. But yeah it does work if you didn't want the eb832's. For me it was just an excuse to get them.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Eb4 would work.

If you need one I can sell one of them. I want to keep 2 just for backup purposes. Only issue is I did write the aquabus address number on it but other than that they're good. How much you willing to shell out?? lol kidding Just PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
    I'll take one of the EB8s off your hands.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I would like to see what is connected on the other end to all that wiring. That must be quite a system. We are getting off topic here in this thread though.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    The reality is Neptune came out with a new Model with NEW CAPABILITIES. What is the point of all the R&D and Cost if you come out with a new Model with no new capabilities? The reason they came out with the new model is because the old one had limitations. They are not leaving anyone behind, there is still full support of all of the "Classic" products. But, if you want the new functionality, then you need the new model, that can actually do it.

Do people really expect them to only come out with products that can be supported by the model without the new functionality? If so, again, what is the point of ever improving on a product? People are upset because they can not use a new product that came out, that they couldn't even imagine when they bought their Classic APEX (Neither could Neptune, by the way). You are not being cheated, you have every bit of functionality that you had when you made the decision to buy it, probably more.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by tklb View Post
    The reality is Neptune came out with a new Model with NEW CAPABILITIES. What is the point of all the R&D and Cost if you come out with a new Model with no new capabilities? The reason they came out with the new model is because the old one had limitations. They are not leaving anyone behind, there is still full support of all of the "Classic" products. But, if you want the new functionality, then you need the new model, that can actually do it.

Do people really expect them to only come out with products that can be supported by the model without the new functionality? If so, again, what is the point of ever improving on a product? People are upset because they can not use a new product that came out, that they couldn't even imagine when they bought their Classic APEX (Neither could Neptune, by the way). You are not being cheated, you have every bit of functionality that you had when you made the decision to buy it, probably more.
    Yes they can come out and do whatever they wish you are correct and I’m not sure you are understanding the view point I was making and frankly I could care less this topic is way old and I already made my mind up months ago
    cheer

Frequent Visitor
    Yes they can come out and do whatever they wish you are correct and I’m not sure you are understanding the view point I was making and frankly I could care less this topic is way old and I already made my mind up months ago
    cheer

Great, hope you are happy with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123