Thread: EcoTech Marine Control & DIY LED's?

New User

EcoTech Marine Control & DIY LED's?

I am about to purchase a 2016 Apex Unit for my system, and have two questions. This will be my First Apex system, just trying to plan out all the parts and tech I need so I can order everything together next week and set it up!

I have the newer M1 Return Pump for my tank, can I control this system with my Apex Unit? Or will a need a Reef Link in order to create timed schedules for ramping up and down flow through out the day?

And in addition to that, I have a DIY Led Setup, currently just turns on and off with a bulky timer on the power strip. With this system I believe I can create a timer, and ramp the lights up and down with the correct driver for the LED's right? I will not need an additional unit or module to do this, it just has to be set up on one of the Variable Dimming ports and get the coding setup from what I've read, correct?

Any links to threads doing these things would be great!

Thanks in advance!

The Vectra is not currently compatible with the WXM module (long story, but echotech never gave neptune the commands so they could make it work).

For the DIY LEDs, you can ramp them as long as you use a driver that accepts a 0-10V dimming signal, and either purchase the bare wire dimming cable or make one out of an Ethernet cable.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll look for a Driver that is compatible with that, at least that's an easy change. And I was a technician for a few years so I have Ethernet line and the tools laying around so all good there

And back to the Vectra, if I do purchase a ReefLink for it, can I then control it through the Apex App & Dashboard? Or would I have to stick with the EcoTech app for the return pump. Not a huge deal, but would be nice to use just one app for my whole system.

The reeflink won't talk to the apex. Only the WXM will and that isn't currently compatible.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Dang. Well now I know, I'll move the Reef link down on my priority list and just stick to controlling it On/Off with the apex and using the included controller on my tank for it. And going to grab a new Driver for my LED's that is compatible with this system. Thanks for the help!