Thread: Varios pump turns off during network connection issues

Frequent Visitor

Varios pump turns off during network connection issues

I have a Varios-6 DC return that I have controlled through the 0-10V interface of the Apex. I have the 0-10v set to 42% (Rtn_normal profile) normally and 10% for feeding (Rtn_Feed) and I have it set and fallback to the 42% profile.

The Return Pump real outlet is only turned off if there's a leak detected and it's set and fallback is ON

I've been having intermittent issues with connection to the internet I'm sorting through. I have a home Orbi mesh network that works super well and have the Apex hard-wired directly to one of the nodes. 99% of the time everything is great, but occasionally I get the intermittent "power issue" that seems to be related to whether the internet is available rather than if the Apex head can talk to the power bar, which is super annoying in itself.

Now the issue...when this happens, my other pieces of equipment seem to stay in their operational modes just fine, and I assume it's not doing the fallback, since my lights stay on (their outlet's fallback is OFF). The Varios, though, gets turned off with the 15m and 60m lights blinking for about 20 seconds, then it turns back on just fine. The skimmer is set to turn off if the return power outlet is OFF, so that turns off as well and comes back on in 2 minutes after the return which is appropriate.

It annoys me and especially my wife, since all of the sudden you get the gurgle of the tank siphoning through the return line and then a little later it turns back on. If I unplug the 10V line to the return's controller, it keeps working just fine through the transient, so it seems the Apex is sending an incorrect signal to the 10V line. I'm still a bit confused why, then, the skimmer would turn off, since it's only looking at the feed and power outlet of the Return line, not the 0-10V.

The more basic issue is why on earth the Apex would do ANYTHING differently based on the network connection...it should just keep on going as if nothing it wrong at all.

Here is my code:
    [VarSpdRtn] (virtual Outlet)
    Fallback Rtn_normal
    Set Rtn_normal
    If FeedA 000 Then Rtn_Feed
    If FeedD 000 Then Rtn_Feed

[Return_3] (real Outlet)
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Output AnyLeak = ON Then OFF

[Skimmer 1] (real Outlet)
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF
    If Output Return_3 = OFF Then OFF
    If Output AnyLeak = ON Then OFF
    Defer 002:00 Then ON
    Defer 000:05 Then OFF

That behavior is actually a reboot not loss of connection. Make sure you are current in your firmware.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the response!

I've updated firmware right away with each release (even the recalled one) with no issue. I suppose I can re-word my question as why does the Apex unit reboot seemingly based on network issues? It happens in spurts and seems to always be related to network issues (Internet is flaky, even at the cable modem). Shouldn't even need a network to be able to operate.

After reading more, the Fallback is only applicable to the Energy Bars and the WXM, which explains why my Vortechs and Radions continue just fine, but my variable control of the return pump does not...may have to re-think using the variable speed if the reboots continue. Still not 100% sure why the skimmer would detect the Return pump as off, though.

Thanks again!

Rick

Odd. Have you tried other connection methods to see if the problem persists? Either way it's probably worthwhile to run a diagnostic session with support.

Frequent Visitor
    I had more of an issue a while back using wifi, but it had been pretty stable for a while. The wifi signal was great (100% strength, 92% quality). Last week, it just lost it's mind and wouldn't connect at all locally or to Fusion. I hardwired it to the node and was able to reset the wifi settings and brought it back on with wifi. Been quite stable since then until last night, where I got about 25 disconnects in 3 hours. During that time, the internet to the outside world was very flaky as well (even hardwired to the router). I hardwired it permanently to the node later after things had settled and it's been mostly good since, but still got a reboot at 4:30 am this morning. I'm a little worried having the 0-10 hooked up to an unreliable system since if the Varios-6 went full blast, I'm guessing water would splash out.

The pump won't ever go full blast if you use fallback OFF. 0-10V does allow fallback states but only 0% and 100%

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks! I had read fallback didn't work with the 0-10v...great to know it does at least to an ON/OFF level. Doesn't help in my case, though

zombie, How is it possible to program the variable out ports for Fallback ON? While the Apex controller is rebooting, it's nonfunctional, so won't any device connected to one of those ports see 0 voltage, and therefore go to it's 0V state (off)? I thought that fallback applies only to the EB832 and WXM, which will keep functioning based on their programmed state even if the controller reboots or actually fails. I am currently also running a VarioS-6 controlled by Apex and have experienced the same situation as rjkrejci, which lasts < 30 seconds and happens when the Apex is rebooting for whatever reason. It took me by surprise the first time because my previous return pump was variable speed but not variably controlled by Apex, only power via the EB, and it would of course always keep working through reboots because the physical outlet's Fallback was set to ON.

I'm pretty sure I tried the Fallback ON line in my variable speed programming for the pump, and it didn't work, with the pump still stopping anytime the Apex was rebooted. But if you think it should work somehow, then maybe I'll try it again. In the mean time, it's on my checklist to disconnect the variable out cable from the VarioS controller box if I'm going to be away from the house overnight or longer; that pump needs to default to ON if the Apex controller were to fail and I'm not there. (I run the pump at 100% anyway, so full ON would not be a problem in my case.)

Fallback works assuming you use a VDM. Fallback isn't functional on the base unit ports.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm using the base unit ports and have no VDM, so no specified fallback for me, although whatever it electrically defaults to is shutting my pump off (and blinking the timer lights on the controller).

I'm still frustrated that the thing re-boots itself. It's been stable today, so maybe the hardwired is helping. If it happens again, I'll talk to tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Fallback works assuming you use a VDM. Fallback isn't functional on the base unit ports.
    Aha! OK, well that makes sense. For me, that's great news. Time to switch my return pump control to the VDM. Thanks again zombie, you da man!