Thread: Synchronizing gyres help

New User

Synchronizing gyres help

Is there a way to antisync 2 gyres to run forward and reverse alternating? For example i want gyre1 to run forward for 20 seconds while the gyre2 runs in reverse. Then gyre 2 runs forward for 20 seconds while gyre 1 runs in reverse. I have figured out how to run one back and forth or 2 alternating but only in forward. This requires me to have all 4 ports working together. Help please.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I'd be curious as well to learn how to sync 4 pumps (which is basically what we're talking about here) with the Apex. Although here's the thing about the Gyre. If you're running them forward and reverse, you've set them up so that one of the two propellers is basically doing nothing in each direction (don't let that 'turbulence' marketing talk fool you) and you get half the output. I tried it with one Gyre and was less than excited. I know it isn't what you asked about, but since you have two to work with, have you considered just operating each Gyre in forward direction, alternating, providing more uniform laminar 'gyre-like' flow, and easier to program as well?

New User
    Thats the way i have it running now. But before that i had one oscilating in forward and reverse and really liked it because it had a quicker response in the direction change of current in close proximity to the gyre. With 2 gyres oscilating forward i get better flow throughout the entire tank but the direction change response is slower

New User
    Shpuld i assume synchronizing 4 pumps cannot be done? Was hoping someone who works for neptune or coralvue would chime in

New User
    Seems strange you would not be able to considering larger tanks may have 2 pumps on each end

You can synchronize as many as you want now. There was a firmware update a while ago that allows the synchronize checkbox to apply to the previous profile. Make your profiles in order and click the sync checkbox on everything except the first one. Make sure those you want anti-sync use initial off time and on time. Those you want sync use on time and off time.

Note: the above assumes that you have the ice cap to control with variable speed ports.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

@dingodan - the variable outputs are extremely flexible - there are several ways to do things as they might pertain to controlling Gyres - it can be especially tricky when reversing the Gyre direction is involved. While you've given some generalized info about what you want to do, you haven't told us how you have things programmed. Don't leave us guessing!

When posting for help here in the forum about enhancing or otherwise modifying programming, help forum members better help you by always posting your current programming, and if you are using profiles, those profiles too.
    zombie is correct about synchronizing Pump profiles, but we cannot safely assume that you are using Pump profiles. Many people use a mixture of OSC statements and Ramp (vs. Pump) profiles to operate their Gyres.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You can synchronize as many as you want now. There was a firmware update a while ago that allows the synchronize checkbox to apply to the previous profile. Make your profiles in order and click the sync checkbox on everything except the first one. Make sure those you want anti-sync use initial off time and on time. Those you want sync use on time and off time.

Note: the above assumes that you have the ice cap to control with variable speed ports.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Thanks i had no idea. Everything i read spoke specificicly to only the even and odd neighbouring profiles to be syncable. I will try to just program it and post if i have any issues. Thanks again

New User
    Worked. Thanks again