Thread: Apex Jr Keeps resetting

Regular Vistor

Apex Jr Keeps resetting

My phone woke me up at 3:00 today with a warning from my tank. The warning was "OFF" which I sometimes get from a quick power flash because the power out warning wasn't triggered yet. I knew the power hadn't gone out because the clocks were all still accurate. I didn't think too much about it, but it happened again a few minutes later. This time, I heard my pumps stop and start and I heard the beep from my Tunze ATO indicating that the power cycled.

I got up to check things out. Everything was running fine. I checked the plugs to make sure they were tight and there were no leaks, etc. As I was standing there, it happened again. Everything shuts down for a second, and restarts.

Now, I have the Apex JR, with 1 return pump and 1 heater. I have 2 EB 8's with various things, but one has the 2nd return pump and one has the ATO. I mention this because all of them turn off. If it was a single EB8 issue, everything wouldn't turn off. I unplugged the EB8s one at a time, but I couldn't simulate the condition. Even unplugging the Apex JR still keeps the ATO and 2nd return pump on.

I had the Apex Jr. plugged into a APC UPS with a big battery for emergency purposes. I thought that may be an issue, so I plugged the Apex directly into an outlet and the problem still happens. The Apex and each EB8 are on separate GFCIs so I don't lose the whole system if something trips, and the GFCIs aren't tripped.

It seems like it is the Apex Jr that is resetting and possibly faulty, it's the only thing that can explain the Main module and both EB8s all resetting at the same time. It's not a heater, my heaters never turn on. I don't have anything that turns on and off like wavemakers. The lights were off except for the low power moonlights.

The firmware is up to date according to Fusion. Other than a faulty Apex Jr module, I am not really sure. It is on a Netgear WIFI module to connect to the internet. I read a loosely similar thread from years ago that someone had a network issue, but I don't see how that would cause this. I can see how that would cause a Fusion connection issue, but it shouldn't make the entire system reboot.

Is this something that I should waste time sending in for repair?

New User
    Hi,

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what did you do? I'm having the same issue with my Apex Jr.

Thanks!

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by pwmitchell View Post
    Hi,

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what did you do? I'm having the same issue with my Apex Jr.

Thanks!
    apex.jpg

I thought that it was updated, but it wasn't. Fusion didn't automatically detect it. One of the things the new firmware fixed was random reboots.

It hasn't happened since I updated the firmware.

New User
    I started having the same issue the last couple of days. Everything would be running OK and it would do what seemed like a restart where everything would turn off and then immediately turn back on. It would run fine for a few minutes and then repeat sometimes or sometimes not happen again. Typically happens in the middle of the night. The other morning it was doing it around every 20 minutes. If I unplug the system from my network it would stop but that is not a long term solution. I do not get any type of error in the logs.

I thought it might be the power supply I used to indicate a power fail so I can shut down everything except Vortech Pumps when power goes out, so I disabled that and disconnected the supply. Checked output of supply on scope and my electronic load (I am an engineer and do power consulting for a living so got the stuff around) but supply was fine. I left it disconnected though just to see if that may fix it. I thought that fixed it as went a couple of days without issue, but system restarted twice last night around 3:30AM, so I unplugged the network cable again and no issues the rest of the night.

I was wondering if it may be the open port I use to connect externally getting hit. I had the port open as this was how you connected before they introduced Fusion. I have disconnected port forwarding on my router to the port on the APEX, so will see if system remains stable. Unfortunately it just did again as I write this, so that is not it. I guess I will try disconnecting from Fusion and run old school to see if that fixes it. Anybody else got a suggestion?

New User
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies and discussion.

Here's what's interesting. I unplugged two powerheads and removed them from my tank and I haven't had a restart since. I am trying to find time to make sure the firmware is updated but its just hard for me to believe that this problem is caused by spotty network issues.

I have not thought about disconnecting it from Fusion so I may try that after I plug my powerheads back into the system.

Thanks!

New User
    Do not rely on Fusion to tell you if firmware is up to date. I updated mine to The 4.53_4D19 from August 2019 which fixed a known issue where older Apex models would randomly reboot due to the network connection. Fusion said I was all good with version 4.53_AB17 and no updates were needed. The latest firmware seems to have fixed it as have not had a reset since updating.

See: https://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/