Thread: Cleaning Flow Sensors

Frequent Visitor

Cleaning Flow Sensors

After having had a 1" flow sensor installed on my main return pump for about 6 months I got an alert that flow had dropped to 0. Pump was still a pumpin' but sensor was not a readin'. Took the sensor out of the circuit - no obvious obstruction, but the paddle wheel was 'locked'. I had to completely take the sensor apart and clean out the spindle holes in order to get it to work again. Maybe missed it but clearly these things require periodic cleaning.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I would like a little more info on this as well. I thought of maybe just a spray of vinegar in each end to saturate the paddle wheel and parts and allowing a brief soak but this is in my main return line so the length of the soak can't be too long. I guess I could always order a spare sensor to swap out.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    I do not think a soak would have revived my sensor. I think a spare may be prudent.

New User
    I am seeing the same thing. I have two 1" sensors on my system and one started reading 0 a week or so ago and a couple days later the other sensor was reading 0. I have not taken them apart to see if they need cleaning, but is this something that I will need to do over time it might change my mind on where I add these. Anyone else seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by mcatlett View Post
    I am seeing the same thing. I have two 1" sensors on my system and one started reading 0 a week or so ago and a couple days later the other sensor was reading 0. I have not taken them apart to see if they need cleaning, but is this something that I will need to do over time it might change my mind on where I add these. Anyone else seeing this?
    Where are they installed on your system and how long had they been in place?
    Chad

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Where are they installed on your system and how long had they been in place?
    Less then 2 months. One is on my main return and the other is on my return to my frag tank. Both are in the main house. one sits vertical and the other is horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by mcatlett View Post
    Less then 2 months. One is on my main return and the other is on my return to my frag tank. Both are in the main house. one sits vertical and the other is horizontal.
    I can understand the main return getting dirty because of food/waste hitting that paddle wheel. Maybe it will just have to be part of a monthly maintenance plan for me. I will see how this one does as I have mine set up like yours, on the return side that is, and post back if any issues come up. Thanks for the feedback.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Happy to report that after cleaning the sensor has worked properly again. Neptune should make it clear that these things need a periodic disassembly and cleaning. It's a perfectly reasonable expectation BTW. Just never really occurred to me. Also means being careful about what you have flow readings trigger.

Regular Vistor
    how did you clean it

Quote Originally Posted by inks View Post
    how did you clean it
    Open it up, soak in vinegar or vinegar/water mixture and hit it with a toothbrush.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    In my case there was no calcium buildup so vinegar not necessary, but there was quite a lot of dirt in the holes that hold the sensor spindle - thus preventing it from spinning. I simply disassembled the sensor (remove the screws) and cleaned all the parts carefully with brushes and a pipe cleaner. Reassembled and good as new.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    In my case there was no calcium buildup so vinegar not necessary, but there was quite a lot of dirt in the holes that hold the sensor spindle - thus preventing it from spinning. I simply disassembled the sensor (remove the screws) and cleaned all the parts carefully with brushes and a pipe cleaner. Reassembled and good as new.
    Exactly what it was on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Every time I've had my 1" sensor stop reading it was because of a snail go stuck in the paddle! I do remove the sensors from my lines every 6 months or so and give them a good rinsing under a high pressure faucet.