Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer on/off interval set up

Skimmer on/off interval set up

Hi everyone. I need to program my skimmer on an interval schedule permanently.-ON for only 30 minutes every hour- 24/7. I have no idea how to do this correctly. Could someone post the correct code?
    Punctuation, spell checking and proper use of grammar will get you the answers you are looking for.

Frequent Visitor
    Cant you just program on and off time for each hour? Right down the time schedule

Fallback ON
    If Time 12:00-12:30 then ON
    If Time 12:31-1:00 then OFF
    If Time 1:01-1:30 then ON
    If Time 1:31-2:00 then OFF
    And so on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So that seems a bit extended, but doable in terms of me outputting all the numbers, thank you I do not have a preference on what time- at least what I am thinking.
    Punctuation, spell checking and proper use of grammar will get you the answers you are looking for.

Frequent Visitor
    I figured if you keep it like that you could cut and paste and edit times. I am no pro either with the APEX I am pretty new to it also.

The benefit, that I see, with this code is that I can alter the times- specifically after feeding, if need be. Or for that matter, reducing/ increasing the time for when the skimmer is actually on. Very helpful.

Frequent Visitor
    Hope it works well let me know if this works

There is a much easier way to do that (though I dont understand why anyone would only want a skimmer on 30 minutes and hour).

Fallback ON
    OSC 000:00/030:00/030:00 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Great question!
    My skimmer is over-sized. VERY, over-sized. I currently run a Tunze 9415 DC on a 90 gallon with a 40 breeder sump.- SPS, and LPS and a few stragglers on softies with 11 fish total.

Since up grading from my 9410, my N03 and P04 levels plummeted over the course of months to reveal pale colors. ICP and regular testing on my end has confirmed this. I do not carbon dose. I use two part only with manual Mg additions and water changes.

The reason for the upgrade was due to potential near-future expansion and of course, received on sale. This skimmer, no joke, scrubs the tank thoroughly. That being said, I need to bring back coloration with the tank. Extra feedings -even with the dirtiest of them all-PE frozen MYSIS- doesn't make a dent in these levels. So, after researching the net, and doing experiments here on nutrient addition and control, the skimmer is to blame, nicely, for not only removing DOC's but trace elements rapidly and constantly

K and I drop quickly. I can put the old skimmer back, but I do not enjoy dumping the skimmer cup on the 9410 every 2 days- let alone clean the neck that often as it gets nasty. Avast sells the swabbie, and that is an option. Anecdotally speaking, controlling the skimmer, should alleviate my problem. Thanks Zombie! That seems easier to do.

That makes a bit of sense. Although I personally would just feed more and/or start broadcast feeding corals if phosphates are way too low (this has the added benefit of increased coral growth). You could do a combination of reducing time with OSC and broadcast feeding to strike the right balance.

Thanks, Zombie! I'll try anything now!

zombie I’m horrible with OSC code. Just never took time to learn it bc I didn’t think I’d need it but after readying this I think I will. I have an aquaripure nitrate Filter and it works like a charm but with a skimmer (that’s also over large) I think it may be causing low nutrient issues in my tank. I’d rather leave my skimmer on but I’m thinking maybe running the nitrate filter only 8 hours a day. Maybe that will help bc with a 210 reef full of stonies, polys and lps and 10 fish i never have over .02 in Nitrates and phos are even less. Got growth but its very slow and not as vibrant. dont want to get rid of the nitrate filter (i didn't once and Nitrates shot up to 35ppm in one day!!!!) but maybe running less often will help.... How would that OSC code look? Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    There is a much easier way to do that (though I dont understand why anyone would only want a skimmer on 30 minutes and hour).

Fallback ON

Quote Originally Posted by joenla View Post
    zombie I’m horrible with OSC code. Just never took time to learn it bc I didn’t think I’d need it but after readying this I think I will. I have an aquaripure nitrate Filter and it works like a charm but with a skimmer (that’s also over large) I think it may be causing low nutrient issues in my tank. I’d rather leave my skimmer on but I’m thinking maybe running the nitrate filter only 8 hours a day. Maybe that will help bc with a 210 reef full of stonies, polys and lps and 10 fish i never have over .02 in Nitrates and phos are even less. Got growth but its very slow and not as vibrant. dont want to get rid of the nitrate filter (i didn't once and Nitrates shot up to 35ppm in one day!!!!) but maybe running less often will help.... How would that OSC code look? Thanks for the help!!
    OSC is just a simple pattern of OFF time/ON time/OFF time. The first number is used for offsetting, the second number is how long it lasts for each cycle, and the sum of all three is how often the period or cycle is. So for 8 hours a day using 1 hour cycles would be

OSC 000:00/020:00/040:00 Then ON

so this is off at midnight on at 12:20 and off at 1am? meaning it runs for 40 mins per hour?

so this is off at midnight on at 12:20 and off at 1am? meaning it runs for 20 mins per hour?
    It's on for the first 20 minutes of every hour in the above example for a total of 8 hours per day.

i'm needing to run it for 8 hours straight each 24 hour day. may be easier if i just use the time function

i'm needing to run it for 8 hours straight each 24 hour day. may be easier if i just use the time function
    OSC is there for repeating cycles. For single intervals, if time is a better approach.

got it.thx

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

Fallback ON

I thought of that but I thought he was looking for more specifics with times. Thumb up

New User
    Hello , I’m sorry to be a pain . I’m I’m still confused . I tired everything and nothing is working . Here is what I got and all I need is to add one more statement to shutdown the skimmer from 1:00AM to 2:00AM

Fallback
    OFF
    Set ON
    If Output ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF
    Defer 010:00 Then ON

What do I add ?

Thanks

You want this. I added another line that is important for reboots and power outages as well

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Power Apex OFF 001 Then OFF
    If Time 01:00 to 01:49 Then OFF

New User
    DED52433-643A-472D-99FB-8DC7615B9D44.jpgThank you , but Im’m getting OSC error
    It wants me to start with IF and OSC in line 2??

Thank you again

I accidentally added a line down on the fallback line if you copy pasted it directly in. Fallback OFF should be on line 1.

New User
    That took it . Thank you . Now I will setup my alarm to wake up and see it happening . Lol

I apologize about the several posting of the Pic. Using mobile on the full site is no fun.

thank you again

New User
    Hello there . Looks like Skimmer was off after we added the statement .

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    If Time 01:00 to 01:59 Then OFF

something wrong here ?

thanks

Make sure power monitor is disabled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast