Thread: Communication Errors

Frequent Visitor

Communication Errors

Getting a periodic communication error on the new apex (which requires me to reboot the unit to get access to the local dashboard), and I cannot enable heartbeat because it says unreliable connection (or some language like that). Recently switched over from apex lite, on the same network and even the same Ethernet cable, and never had any of these communication problems. Is the 2016 Apex more sensitive to connection quality?

New User
    I purchased an Apex (2016) soon after it went into production. It ran flawlessly in wi-fi mode for about 16 months. In the past 4 weeks it has begun dropping the internet connection up to 500+ times per day (that sounds incredible but its true!). I've been working with Neptune Systems Support via e-mail for over 2 weeks without resolution. They have replaced the Apex Base Unit and I've replaced the modem/router and gone from running in wi-fi mode to hardwired via ethernet cable. My ISP tech support team (AT&T) has been out to the house at least 3 times now to ensure that the service they provide (U-Verse fiber optic) is up to snuff. I am having no internet issues whatsoever with any other devices, just the Apex. At the moment I have no aquarium equipment connected to the Apex because it has become so completely unstable. I don't know how or when this issue will be resolved, but trouble shooting has been very frustrating and time consuming. So far, Neptune Systems has not reached out via telephone which I think would really expedite resolution. They seem to work exclusively via e-mail which really drags the process out with usually only 1 communication from them per 24 hour period. I'm not knocking Neptune Support, but I would sure would prefer to knock this thing out in a few telephone conversations instead of going through weeks of torment. Sorry I can't answer the previous writer's question about Apex (2016) sensitivity issues but just thought I'd get it out there that I'm having the same issue all of a sudden. Coincidence? I don't know.

Have you been following the issues with the latest firmware release? Has support offered a way to roll back to a previous firmware release?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Have you been following the issues with the latest firmware release? Has support offered a way to roll back to a previous firmware release?
    Support can roll back if they think it will help and all new coding has been removed first. You just can't do it from fusion. They will want to take data from you first and schedule a remote session to do the roll back.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Yes, I was making the assumption that he is on the current release and was curious whether support had offered that as a solution for him yet.

New User
    Both my Apex and EB832 are running the latest firmware/software updates. Neither Neptune Support nor I have brought up rolling back the updates to a previous level as a possible fix. However, I have seen others suggesting in this forum that there may be problems associated with those updates. I do not know if there is any validity to those suggestions or not. This morning I received a telephone call from Neptune Support saying they've been monitoring reports from my Apex (I added them to my authorizations at the Manage level a few weeks ago) and they have definitively identified the problem as Apex hardware related. They have initiated another Apex Base Unit swap. (The first swap took place a week or so ago). The Support Technician who called said they've only had one or two situations occur where need for more than one swap became necessary. So, I'm hopeful I'll soon be looking at this issue in the rear view mirror. Time will tell. In reading this forum I also came across a couple of people who mentioned they put their Apex on an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) in order to smooth out any power fluctuations that might affect their Apex. Last night I did likewise but to no avail; the problem persisted. I'll keep y'all posted on how things work out with the replacement Base Unit. I encourage you to hang in there with Neptune Support. While they probably won't set any speed records with respect to problem resolution, they have been genuinely committed to resolving this issue in a methodical fashion. Stay tuned.

New User
    I have a cautiously optimistic report today. The latest Base Unit that Neptune Systems sent to me has now been running (hardwired and DHCP enabled) without a dropped connection to Fusion for approximately 72 hours. All aquarium equipment is plugged into the EB832 and operating as programmed. If this continues, it seems most likely that the root cause of the dropped connection issue resided within the Apex Base Units themselves. However, if this Base Unit begins to drop connection to Fusion then the root cause is back in question. In the meantime, it sure is great to have the Apex back again! "Thank you" to Neptune Systems Support and to everyone who offered their help via this forum. I appreciate it and maybe I'll be able to return the favor sometime.