Thread: Really dumb question regarding need of extra outlets

Frequent Visitor

Really dumb question regarding need of extra outlets

Hi, I apologize for the ultra newbie question. I am in the process of setting up a new reefer 425xl. I have been reefing for over a decade but this is my first foray into the "controller" universe. I have purchased and becoming familiar with a new Apex 2016 and fusion. As I am setting up my equipment I realized that I need a few more outlets beyond the Energy bar that came with the Apex.

Here's the question...is it ok or possible to purchase a energy bar with 4 or 6 outlets as in the other models and connect it to my Apex 2016?

Thanks for help and guidance.

CD

Frequent Visitor
    You can get a eb4 or eb8 but those don't provide power monitoring per socket. I would just get another eb832

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cdavmd: I bought an extra EB4 because I needed a few more outlets, just like you. Works fine with the 2016 Apex, just plug it into the wall or a UPS and connect to the AquaBus, and you've got 4 more controllable outlet/output tiles on your dash.

I got the EB4 over the EB8, because the EB4 is all mechanical relays, no solid state switches (EB8 has 2). It's true that neither the EB4 or the EB8 gives you the detailed power consumption monitoring that the EB832 does; that information, plus additional 24V outlets, may or may not be worth the substantially higher cost of the EB832.

Although, something you may want to consider is whether you can double or even triple up devices on one EB832 outlet. If they are all controlled identically (for example, 2 heaters running in tandem), and the total amperage for the devices to be powered together by one outlet doesn't exceed 7A, this will work to free up other outlets. I like these splitters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 and even these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Also, any aquarium devices that aren't directly controlled by the Apex can be plugged directly into the wall, other powerstrip or UPS, not an energy bar.

Also was just having this very conversation with someone else. the nice thing about the EB4 is it has 3 mech relays that are rated up to 8A and one rated up to 12A. The 12A is used for large equipment like chillers (I use it for my JBJ 1/3hp). So if your looking to add something that needs a lot more amperage you may want to consider at least 1 EB4. That said outlets 4 and 8 on EB8 handle up to 10A so another EB 8 could suffice.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks everyone!