Thread: Kessil light not as bright connected to apex... why?

Banned

Kessil light not as bright connected to apex... why?

So I own a kessil a360we LED light that is controlled by my apex. What I have noticed is that it does not burn as bright as when I unplug it from the apex. Trying to figure out why that is. My programing is NOT what is causing this because Apex is telling me its at 100% intensity and 100% color. however again when I disconnect the light from apex ther eis a noticable close to 20% increase in intensity at the highest setting. has anyone else had this problem? Please advise. Thanks

Do you have a digital voltmeter and understand how to use it?

If so, set the apex to 100% and check the voltage between the tip and sleeve and see if you get 10V. Check the same between the ring and the sleeve. If you get 10V or really close with both then the intensity issue lies within the kessil drivers and you will need to contact their support if you want it resolved. If you get something low like 9V then there is an issue in the apex ports and you would want to contact neptune support.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Do you have a digital voltmeter and understand how to use it?

If so, set the apex to 100% and check the voltage between the tip and sleeve and see if you get 10V. Check the same between the ring and the sleeve. If you get 10V or really close with both then the intensity issue lies within the kessil drivers and you will need to contact their support if you want it resolved. If you get something low like 9V then there is an issue in the apex ports and you would want to contact neptune support.

yes I have a multimeter but can you clarify what you mean by tip and sleeve and ring and sleeve?

See pic below

Banned
    See pic below

thanks for the advice... exactly what I needed. its the cable.

Why the cable ?

Quote Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
    Why the cable ?
    A defect in the cable, such as a cold solder joint, could have been attenuating the 0-10v signal.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    A defect in the cable, such as a cold solder joint, could have been attenuating the 0-10v signal.
    Im sorry not to sound rude but I was asking him why in his case it seemed to me that he realized something by seeing the photo

Why the cable ?
    The picture was just there so he knew what to troubleshoot.

There are actually a few ways to tell. One is measuring a high resistance across the cable which would attenuate the signal and low the voltage as Russ mentioned. Another is to try a different cable and see if the same problem persists. Checking the voltage alone only eliminates the kessil as the problem, meaning there could be a problem in the cable or the variable speed port itself. The poster did not indicate which of the two methods he used to determine it was the cable that was the bad part.

The picture was just there so he knew what to troubleshoot.

There are actually a few ways to tell. One is measuring a high resistance across the cable which would attenuate the signal and low the voltage as Russ mentioned. Another is to try a different cable and see if the same problem persists. Checking the voltage alone only eliminates the kessil as the problem, meaning there could be a problem in the cable or the variable speed port itself. The poster did not indicate which of the two methods he used to determine it was the cable that was the bad part.

Right i was asking the poster what they did to figure out the problem was with the cable

I was thinking a third reason the poster used the wrong cable (without a ring or sleeve)

Right i was asking the poster what they did to figure out the problem was with the cable

I was thinking a third reason the poster used the wrong cable (without a ring or sleeve)
    If he used a mono cable without a ring, turning one to ON and the other OFF would short out the variable speed port and either blow it out or send the apex into a continuous restart process. A reduced intensity but still operational means either there is high resistance between the port and the device that causes a voltage split between the cable and the device or that something is wrong internally to the variable speed port that is artificially lowering the voltage supplied.

If he used a mono cable without a ring, turning one to ON and the other OFF would short out the variable speed port and either blow it out or send the apex into a continuous restart process. A reduced intensity but still operational means either there is high resistance between the port and the device that causes a voltage split between the cable and the device or that something is wrong internally to the variable speed port that is artificially lowering the voltage supplied.

Awesome thats the explanation i was looking for thank you

Banned
    the cable must have gotten wet as it ran under the tank and was since replaced. thats what was causing the issue not the apex and not the kessil light either.