Thread: ATK excessive pump pressure and siphon break spray

Frequent Visitor

ATK excessive pump pressure and siphon break spray

I’m sure I’ve set something up wrong but when the pump is active on the ATK ot is making a crazy amount of noise as the pressure is relieved by the siphon break (the hole in the coupler). I’m concerned if for some reason the position of the tubing or orientation of the hole were to change water could also escape the top off vessel. I’m sure the effluent from that hole could spray several feet.

Yes, you definitely have to make sure you've got a secure setup where the siphon break, tubing and pump can't move around enough to let that happen. I have it so that, with the pump sitting squarely on the bottom of the RODI reservoir, the siphon break is positioned just under one upper corner, with the outflow pointed down against the inner wall of the reservoir, so there's actually very little splashing sound after the initial startup. And then I have a flat acrylic lid with a corner cutout that I put on top of the reservoir, to make sure the power cord and water line coming out don't move (also to keep dust out.) And then I used the extra port on the FMM to add a leak sensor, which I taped to the outside of the reservoir right where the siphon break were to splash if it somehow managed to, and programmed to shut the ATK off and send an alert if it detects water.

Frequent Visitor
    I understand your setup. Mine is similar. Still is likely the loudest element of my setup. I am considering using a John Guest check valve instead.

If your reservoir is lower than your ATK in the sump, that would work fine I think. The reservoir on my Reefer is positioned above the sump, so I'm guessing a check valve would not suffice to prevent ro water from siphoning from the reservoir into the sump. Unless there's more to these valves than I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    If your reservoir is lower than your ATK in the sump, that would work fine I think. The reservoir on my Reefer is positioned above the sump, so I'm guessing a check valve would not suffice to prevent ro water from siphoning from the reservoir into the sump. Unless there's more to these valves than I realize.
    Check valves can work if they are pointed in from a tee. Basically the same principle as your toilet.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.