Thread: Temp probe reading 121 F

New User

Temp probe reading 121 F

I have recently dusted off an Apex Jr and put it on a Nuvo 20. I purchased new APEX temp and pH probe from BRS which arrived today. I did a hard reset via "Init Memory" and I updated the firmware to version 4.52-5A17. I set it up on apex fusion without a single hiccup. Outlets setup perfectly. My one and only issue is the the temp is reading 121F. The water is 77.8 according to 2 independent temp probes. I tried to calibrate but the probe will only get down to 106F before it recycles beginning at 136F. When I unplug the temp probe the APEX monitor reads 20F. I get the exact same temp readings if I plug it into the pH probe module. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Your temp probe is shorted. Contact BRS and have them send you a new one.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Since you purchased a pH probe too, I’m assuming that you have a PM1. Try the temp probe in the PM1 to see if you get the same or similar high reading.

Also, inspect the temp probe jack on the Jr for any debris, dust, or corrosion.

Take a moment to do these first, before returning the temp probe for exchange.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Since you purchased a pH probe too, I’m assuming that you have a PM1. Try the temp probe in the PM1 to see if you get the same or similar high reading.

Also, inspect the temp probe jack on the Jr for any debris, dust, or corrosion.

Take a moment to do these first, before returning the temp probe for exchange.
    Yes, you are correct, I have the PM1 and I get the same results when plugged into it. I fired up the air compressor and blew out the all the sockets. I used contact cleaner and a Q-tip and cleaned the jack. Still reading wonky. Any further recommendations or should I initiate the return?

I would initiate the return. If it's clean and reads the same in two different ports, it's almost certainly shorted.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.