Thread: How to use Apex Jr, Breakout, VarioS, Maxspect Gyre Advanced controller (XF230)?

Regular Vistor

How to use Apex Jr, Breakout, VarioS, Maxspect Gyre Advanced controller (XF230)?

Hi All!

I'm pretty confused on how to get this all setup. I've been reading all over forums, but can't seem to figure this all out.

I have:
    • Apex Jr.
    • Neptune ATK
    • Reef Octopus VarioS-4 return (I want 5% or so feed mode instead of shutting it off completely during feeding!)
    • Maxspect Gyre XF130 pump with new Maxspect XF230 advanced controller
    • Apex Breakout Box
    • Neptune AFS
    • Apex display

Questions:
    1. I want to connect the Apex Jr. to the breakout box. But I don't think I can without something else. I already run a temp probe off of it, which I think is where the breakout box would go. What do I need?
    2. What cables do I need to connect the VarioS with the breakout box? When feeding I want the pump low powered enough to hold the water against head pressure to avoid back siphon.
    3. What cables or modules do I need to set the Maxspect Gyre to feed mode with the breakout box?
    4. I'd like to also possibly control a routine autofeeding as well (when I'm away from home) with the AFS that I will daisy chain the aquabus cable to with my ATK's FMM.

Thanks a ton!

The breakout box is input not output (for things like door switches or float switches). If you want variable speed control what you actually need is a VDM module. If you do want switch inputs as well, you would need a PM1 or PM2 module with a Jr.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The breakout box is input not output (for things like door switches or float switches). If you want variable speed control what you actually need is a VDM module. If you do want switch inputs as well, you would need a PM1 or PM2 module with a Jr.
    Oops, I have no idea what I would need a breakout box for then. I bought it thinking it would help control my pumps lol.

OK, so VDM module, and what kind of cables for my VarioS and Gyre pump? Will I need something like the Icecap module for the Gyre? Or will the advanced controller be enough somehow?

You can use a kessil cable for the varios.

For the gyre, I think you need an ice cap (which also uses the kessil cable) unless they added an input to the gyre controller that I haven't heard about yet.

Regular Vistor
    So I would need an Icecap module? Not just a cable for the Gyre? Bummer, I literally just bought the advanced controller since my old controller broke. It seems like I wouldn't have needed it if I just used the apex + icecap module?
    You can use a kessil cable for the varios.

For the gyre, I think you need an ice cap (which also uses the kessil cable) unless they added an input to the gyre controller that I haven't heard about yet.

It really depends on what level of control you want from the apex. If you just want to turn them off for feeding, and ice cap is kind of pointless and the coding is a bit more complex than the advanced controller. On top of that, a VDM has 4 ports, of which the Varios needs 1 and each gyre on an ice cap needs 2 for a total of 5 ports from 2 VDMs to power everything.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the help.

I think I'm just going to get an extra EB4 and just turn things off when feeding. I don't need the Apex to control any of the pumps really. I was thinking of turning the VarioS down to 5% or something when feeding instead of completely off (to prevent the slurping and back siphoning, and needing to turn off my skimmer for the sump level). But maybe I'll just turn off gyre, varios (return), and skimmer during feedings, and have them back on after.

It really depends on what level of control you want from the apex. If you just want to turn them off for feeding, and ice cap is kind of pointless and the coding is a bit more complex than the advanced controller. On top of that, a VDM has 4 ports, of which the Varios needs 1 and each gyre on an ice cap needs 2 for a total of 5 ports from 2 VDMs to power everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
    I was thinking of turning the VarioS down to 5% or something when feeding instead of completely off (to prevent the slurping and back siphoning, and needing to turn off my skimmer for the sump level).
    I don't know, I really like being able to do exactly what you describe (10% output is the standstill level in my case). Very handy. To control your 1 VarioS and 1 Gyre, you'd need 1 VDM https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/led-p...e-systems.html, and 1 Icecap module https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gyre-...30-icecap.html. The Icecap comes with a split two channel cable, one of which you can use to control the VarioS, and one for the Gyre. However if you're going to be running your gyre in alternating mode, then you do need to buy this additional cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/alter...le-icecap.html The Gyre advanced controller is pretty nice and that Icecap module is kinda pricey, so you might skip that. But I'd still consider getting a VDM (plus this cable if not buying the Icecap module which comes with one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mod...le-icecap.html) if only to be able to do neat things with your VarioS. zombie, I don't see a reason why he would need a second VDM at present.

You also mentioned wanted to use your AFS to do routine autofeeding. That should be pretty straightforward to set up as you describe; there's a feeder wizard.

Regular Vistor
    This is all great info! Thank you.

I think I should be ok just turning off the power outlet for the Gyre pump when feeding using an EB4, rather than needing to control it directly with the VDM from the apex. I could get fancy and use the advanced controller to have it timed to shut down between certain hours, but I worry about the clocks getting out of sync over time. My other worry is shutting it off and on might be bad for the controller? My XF130 controller (not advanced) died after shutting it off recently for a feeding, which led me to getting the new advanced controller.

I'll use the VDM to keep my VarioS at a standstill. I think that's great, since it won't back siphon, won't freak out animals when it turns back on, and I won't have to shut off my skimmer (since the water level won't rise from the siphon).

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I don't know, I really like being able to do exactly what you describe (10% output is the standstill level in my case). Very handy. To control your 1 VarioS and 1 Gyre, you'd need 1 VDM https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/led-p...e-systems.html, and 1 Icecap module https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gyre-...30-icecap.html. The Icecap comes with a split two channel cable, one of which you can use to control the VarioS, and one for the Gyre. However if you're going to be running your gyre in alternating mode, then you do need to buy this additional cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/alter...le-icecap.html The Gyre advanced controller is pretty nice and that Icecap module is kinda pricey, so you might skip that. But I'd still consider getting a VDM (plus this cable if not buying the Icecap module which comes with one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mod...le-icecap.html) if only to be able to do neat things with your VarioS. zombie, I don't see a reason why he would need a second VDM at present.

You also mentioned wanted to use your AFS to do routine autofeeding. That should be pretty straightforward to set up as you describe; there's a feeder wizard.