Thread: Can I set dos to do AWC one day a week?

New User

Can I set dos to do AWC one day a week?

HI, I would like to know if there is a way to set Dos to do a 20 gal AWC one day a week, without having to turn it on/ off all the time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

In the advanced tab use the day of week command. The example below does a water change only on Saturday

If DOW SMTWTF- Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    In the advanced tab use the day of week command. The example below does a water change only on Saturday

If DOW SMTWTF- Then OFF

HI, thank you for the info. It seems to have done the trick. However when I started doing my first awc, I realized that pump head 2 was running in reverse direction of pump head 1. I have switched the in/out lines on pump 2 for now, but wondering if and how it's possible to switch the direction of pump 2. Any thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The direction is done by using add or remove. Remove runs reverse, add runs forward.

The pump direction is configurable in the wizard. But you should leave it as it is. You have the programming right - one pump runs forward (Add) and the other runs reverse (Remove). That way you clearly see what happened when viewing the DOS activity logs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The direction is done by using add or remove. Remove runs reverse, add runs forward.

Once again, thank you for your help. Jonas

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The pump direction is configurable in the wizard. But you should leave it as it is. You have the programming right - one pump runs forward (Add) and the other runs reverse (Remove). That way you clearly see what happened when viewing the DOS activity logs.
    Yeah I think I'm going to leave it as is, after thinking about it. It makes sense. Thank you for your help.

Regular Vistor
    That is how I have my DOS set and see the green/red for add/remove in the DOS activity logs. I also have enabled the DDR tile in Fusion by way of DIY cabling and changed the volume of the containers in the tile to match that of my container (40 gal) using the classic dashboard. This then gives a visual tracking of how much has been used. The intent was to show both what is added and what was removed in the DDR tile, but when a one pump is set to run in reverse the volume removed will not get registered on the DDR tile.

I could fix by running both pumps in forward, still deciding which method to use. BTW, the old water goes down a drain on not actually into a DDR container.

Capture log.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Regular Vistor
    Update; I changed the initial volume for the pump in reverse mode to zero. Forward pump still set initial at 151400. It now will record in the DDR tile how much is being removed.

I checked in in the classic dashboard before I made this change and it was showing the volume removed way above the original setting of 151500. So the dashboard did keep track of what was removed but since the tile maxes out at 151400 it did now show this. Now it does with the initial set point set at zero

83550709-8E06-486E-B2DD-700FD175810D.jpeg

Frequent Visitor
    I'm new to DOSing and I reading thru the threads to learn. This statement has me wondering if maybe I screwed up my ATO setup.

I connected the lines to the 2 DOS pumps going by the arrows on the physical pump. I'm doing 3800ml per day, running at the same time NSW and OSW.

The forward / reverse of the programming has me wondering if I made a mistake with connecting my lines.

Regular Vistor
    Did you actually change the direction using the wizard? If not, then they way you have the lines connected according to the arrow direction on the pump will work, but you will only see green for both pumps in the activity logs.

To see the green for (NSW) and red (OSW) you will have to reverse the direction of the OSW pump in the wizard AND switch the lines input/output setup you currently have on the OSW pump (flow direction is opposite of physical arrows on the pump).

Keep in mind, if you use the button on the DOS to manually activate, it will temporarly run the pumps in the forward direction. So to prime your pumps you have to do it by the programming.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rioreef View Post
    Did you actually change the direction using the wizard? If not, then they way you have the lines connected according to the arrow direction on the pump will work, but you will only see green for both pumps in the activity logs.

To see the green for (NSW) and red (OSW) you will have to reverse the direction of the OSW pump in the wizard AND switch the lines input/output setup you currently have on the OSW pump (flow direction is opposite of physical arrows on the pump).

Keep in mind, if you use the button on the DOS to manually activate, it will temporarly run the pumps in the forward direction. So to prime your pumps you have to do it by the programming.
    I believe that might be my problem.
    NSW is connected in the direction of the arrows for the correct flow as shown on the DOS pump. In the programming it's set to ADD and has a green + symbol.
    OSW is connected in the direction of the arrows for the correct flow as shown on the DOS pump. I the programming it's set to REMOVE and has a red - symbol.

I've noticed that my sump level is not going down and I was trying to figure out why. I think I now know why.

Having the DOS set to remove, how do you properly Prime the DOS pump?
    Also, how do you properly calibrate the DOS pump? Or is it smart enough to calibrate in the correct direction.

Does the above mean that when doing a manual prime pressing the button on the DOS pump that it does NOT reference the programming for the correct direction of flow?

What is the best way to setup for AWC, follow the arrows on the DOS pump and set both NSW & OSW to both be ADD?

Thanks,
    Last edited by JCase; 01-03-2018 at 17:08. Reason: proper configuration?

Regular Vistor
    From you description, switch the OSW lines on the pump.

Follow the directions in the manual for priming and calibrating. The manual button priming would only work on the NSW once you switch the lines. To prime the OSW, I just set up the programmed amount and set the start time to be a couple of minutes ahead of the current time at that moment. The pump turned on and I made sure it was working properly. Truthfully, I don't remember if the calibration worked off the reverse mode. I have to recalibrate soon and I will find out. If it did not, then I must have attached the lines according to the arrows and calibrated, switch lines, primed and then let the system run and measure the outputs to ensure correctness. Cause I do remember checking output at least.

As far as to what is best, the manual give directions for AWC (select Automatic Water Change at bottom of manual) and I followed those instructions and set one in reverse. Others may have an opinion.

Frequent Visitor
    I switched the lines on the OSW and manually switched the DOS to ON instead of Auto and it ran forward as per the arrows. Which is now the WRONG direction since I switched the lines to the DOS.
    That seems like total BS to me. I switched back to Auto and I'm trying to catch it running so I can tell if its working right and pumping via the programming in the correct direction.

Seems like a lot of BS for the DOS to work. I would think it would reference the programming set up and if you have the programming set to add or remove that it runs in the right direction as per the programming if you set it to ON or you press the button on the DOS pump both should reference the programming and go in the right direction. Priming out any air bubbles is a pain the ass as I can't just hold the button down and watch it. I have to change my programming to prime it. Run over to the DOS and watch it till all the bubbles are gone. Then go change my programming back to what I actually want.

Now my understanding from reading other posts is that sometimes the lines become loose and you have to tighten them because then will suck air sometimes. Again I can't just push the button.

I'm finding it extremely frustrating!!!!! Or is it just me????

I can take it if I'm just thick headed and don't get it.

Frequent Visitor
    I opened a ticket with APEX and worked thru the issue above, I have requested that they look at changing the operation of the DOS pump to have it take into account if you have a REMOVE statement in your programming to have the PRIME and ON working in the REMOVE direction. SEE BELOW.

I followed the manual exactly when setting up the AWC and over 3 days my salinity went from 33 to 33.7 because it was not removing the OSW. The manual makes no reference to connecting the lines in reverse to the way the DOS pump is labeled for IN/OUT

If it is possible I think you should have the DOS pump reference the programming and how ADD/REMOVE is setup to have the ON and PRIME work correctly.

It makes it difficult to have to create special programming to prime the pump when programming is set to REMOVE as well as loosing the functionality of the ON position in the dashboard, if I just want to manually run the DOS for a set amount of time.

Again, I think you SHOULD if possible change the operation of the DOS in regards to REMOVE programming.

Frequent Visitor
    Response from Neptune support:

We will send of your request to the engineers to see if they can redesign the software to make this possible.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by JCase View Post
    Response from Neptune support:

We will send of your request to the engineers to see if they can redesign the software to make this possible.
    Lets hope they make the change.

Hang in there!

New User
    What am I doing wrong here? I would like to do my awc on Monday between 12:00 and 23:59 of 40000ml or 10 gallons in that 12 hr time frame. After nine hrs of dosing only 3900ml have been dosed
    Apex new 2-4-19 2.png
    Apex new 2-4-19 3.png

Delete the Set ON. That overrides the schedule you created and will cause the pump to run at 25ml/minute speed all day long.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Delete the Set ON. That overrides the schedule you created and will cause the pump to run at 25ml/minute speed all day long.
    Is everything else ok then for the once a week change?