Thread: How to program afs

New User

How to program afs

Newbie needs help to setup my AFS . would like to feed twice a day 10.00. and 18.00 , just one drum roll . need return pump to shut down for ten minutes ,and skimmer for 15 minutes.

thanks

VFeed (virtual outlet)
    Set OFF
    If Time 10:00 to 10:09 Then ON
    If Time 18:00 to 18:09 Then ON

Feeder
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then ON

Return
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then OFF

Skimmer
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF (optional)
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    sorry but can I copy and paste this in my feeder output configuration or where do input it

All of that does not go in the AFS output - zombie gave you four separate programs: one for a virtual output, one for the feeder itself, one for your return pump output, and one for your skimmer output. The first line of each section in zombie's example is the applicable generic output name. Modify his programming to use your actual names, such as in the skimmer program. For example, if your return pump output is named MainPump, then If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF will not work; you would change that statement to If Outlet MainPump = OFF Then OFF

The overall feeding process is controlled by the virtual output. When it turns on, the return in turn shuts off, the AFS turns on, and also the skimmer turns off because it's operation is tied to that of the return pump

You will need to create the necessary virtual output. Using either APEX Fusion or APEX Local, go to the Outputs view. In the upper right, click on the outlet-in-a-cloud button, then choose Add a Virtual Output.

I would make one change to zombie's example...

Feeder
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON

This adds a delay before the feeder turns on, allowing 30 seconds for water movement in the display tank to calm, and any back-draining after the return pump stops, reducing the likelihood of food getting sucked into the overflow as soon as it is dropped from the feeder.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    THANKS GUYS But one more question is there a way to program so when my feed program shuts pump and skimmer of I get a alarm on my ATK HIGH SENSOR

I assume you mean so you don't get an ATK alarm during feeds...if so, create a VO with this code.

HighH2O
    Set OFF
    If HighSw CLOSED Then ON
    If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

In your email replace the switch statement with

If Outlet HighH2O = ON Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Let's say I want to do this but have it rotate twice. What would be the added code line to make it work?
    OSC?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReeFeRX007 View Post
    Let's say I want to do this but have it rotate twice. What would be the added code line to make it work?
    OSC?

Thanks
    Yes. Instead of using the vFeed VO to turn the AFS ON, we’ll use it to only allow an OSC to cycle the AFS when desired, and disallow the OSC from operating the AFS at all other times.

[AFS]
    OSC 000:30/000:30/000:00 Then ON
    If Output vFeed = OFF Then OFF
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

The vFeed ON duration needs to be 2 minutes though, not 10, otherwise the feeder will operate more than twice.

New User
    OK sounds good. I'll give it a try soon.

Thanks

New User
    Hi Russ. What about the delay. Say I want a 60sec delay before it rotates twice. Is the first 30secs in the OSC line the delay? getting closer to what o want the AFS to do exactly what I want. Thanks for the help.

Yes, in this case the first value in the OSC statement serves as a delay. If you increase that to 1 minute, then the total OSC cycle time will be 1.5 minutes; it will take 3 minutes to do two feeder rotations. So you’ll need to change the If Time statements used in the vFeed VO to also be 3 minutes in duration.