Thread: COR-15 or Varios-6

Frequent Visitor

COR-15 or Varios-6

I’m on the fence considering a pair of pumps for my return and manifold. I’m considering a pair of COR-15s or a pair of Varios-6s. The word is that the CORs will be priced to compete with other pumps having similar flow. I currently have an APEX 2016 but will need to purchase a 1link module to run the second COR as the EB832 will only power one COR along with my single WAV. I’ve come up with some pros and cons for each pump. Let me know if I missed any or if any are not correct.

COR-15
    Pros
    It’s a Neptune Systems Product
    Single wire for power and control
    Fusion shows WATTs, RPM, and Temp
    Neptune Systems Customer Service Team
    This Forum

Cons
    Need additional 1link module for a second COR-15
    Depending on which components fail, one or both of the COR-15s stop pumping.

Varios-6
    Pros
    Will work if 2016 Apex fails - just need to disconnect from the Apex and use the VarioS Controller.
    Additional 1link module not needed
    Safety float switch included

Cons
    Unknown level of support from Reef Octopus
    Power cord and brick required for each pump
    Less pump information available in Fusion
    Additional cable required to connect the two Varios Controllers to the Apex

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Why not a Cor 20?
    Chad

If you only needed 1 pump the 15 would probably be better for you as you could use the 1Link on the EB832 without having to buy another module. Since you need 2 the COR-20 might be better for you. It also addresses 2 of the Cons of the 15 and is a positive you have listed for the Varios

If the Apex or EnergyBar were to fall the 20 would continue to work in standalone mode. Under normal operations you still get all the benefits of monitoring, and fusion control. If you are set on 2 15s getting another 1Link module then would mean you are ready for the Trident in 2018. But if you have 2 20s that means your last EB832 1link port is also open for the Trident as well.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm considering the 15s as I only need 660 GPH at about 5 feet water head for the return. I haven't seen any flow charts for the CORs but I'm thinking the 15 would have plenty. It would be nice to see flow charts for both CORs that show the flow for a given water head and flow percentage. I want two pumps to have an immediate backup for the return when it fails.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm using the Varios 6 and love it. Dead silent, steady, comes with a large debris screen and all the connectors I needed.

Regular Vistor
    Same here - I have a Varios return and another Varios in my skimmer - both are silent, flawless, and work well controlled by my Apex.

Quote Originally Posted by rjkrejci View Post
    I'm using the Varios 6 and love it. Dead silent, steady, comes with a large debris screen and all the connectors I needed.

Frequent Visitor
    You said you want one pump for return and one for the manifold - what were you going to run off the manifold and how much flow did you need? A single Varios 6 would likely be able to do both, possibly the COR15 and definitely the COR20.

I have a Varios6 and agree with the comments above. I just got a COR20 yesterday. Have only had it hooked up for a bit and haven’t had a chance to play around with it, but it definitely puts out more flow than the Varios6 but is also slightly louder (still quiet, mind you, just louder than the Varios.)

The COR gives you a nice display on Fusion with the watts, RPMs and temp (as a percentage.) The latter 2 are interesting, but of very little practical use, so the main advantage of the COR is that you can save a EB outet. As one would expect, the COR is definitely more tightly integrated with the Apex. I haven’t had time to play with all the settings yet, though.

I like the fact that the Varios comes with a intake screen, something the COR doesn’t have.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    The latter 2 are interesting, but of very little practical use, so the main advantage of the COR is that you can save a EB outet. As one would expect, the COR is definitely more tightly integrated with the Apex.
    I have 3 varios 6's, none of which are plugged into an EB. You can easily control them with a VDM or the onboard 0-10v ports on the Apex.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by markstubb View Post
    I have 3 varios 6's, none of which are plugged into an EB. You can easily control them with a VDM or the onboard 0-10v ports on the Apex.
    Yeah, I'd thought of that. Plugging the pump into an EB32 outlet lets you monitor power consumption, which may or may not be important to you, but the COR does it through the interface rather than through the EB outlet.

I'm also not sure how the Varios would behave if something happened to the Apex when controlled by a 0-10V port. Would it keep running or drop down to 0?

Also, I'll amend my statement regarding the noise produced by the COR20 - at the same flow as the Varios6 the COR 20 produces virtually an identical amount of noise; if you ramp it up to full speed, it make slightly more noise but is pumping more water, too. Either way, if you find the noise objectionable then you either have a defective unit, or exceptionally sensitive hearing.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, I'd thought of that. Plugging the pump into an EB32 outlet lets you monitor power consumption, which may or may not be important to you, but the COR does it through the interface rather than through the EB outlet.
    True statement. Wasn't important to me, but could certainly be useful.
    I'm also not sure how the Varios would behave if something happened to the Apex when controlled by a 0-10V port. Would it keep running or drop down to 0?
    Just set the fallback on the variable port like anything else. I haven't tested this, but you can still control the pump on the pump controller, it just doesn't do anything. I wonder if the 0-10v signal goes away, the controller may just revert back to what it was set to locally? I'd have to put a fluke on the 0-10v port to see what it does if the Apex loses power.
    Also, I'll amend my statement regarding the noise produced by the COR20 - at the same flow as the Varios6 the COR 20 produces virtually an identical amount of noise; if you ramp it up to full speed, it make slightly more noise but is pumping more water, too. Either way, if you find the noise objectionable then you either have a defective unit, or exceptionally sensitive hearing.
    Haven't heard a peep out of mine. I'm pretty happy with them. In all honesty, given my substantial investment in Apex under my tank, I may have purchased the COR had they of been on the market last summer when I needed them. I'm sure they're a nice pump.

Just set the fallback on the variable port like anything else. I haven't tested this, but you can still control the pump on the pump controller, it just doesn't do anything. I wonder if the 0-10v signal goes away, the controller may just revert back to what it was set to locally? I'd have to put a fluke on the 0-10v port to see what it does if the Apex loses power.
    This only applies to VDM ports and the fallback can only be ON (100%) or OFF (0). For base unit ports Fallback doesn't do anything and in the event the apex head fails or gets stuck in bootloader the Varios will be at 0.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Haven't heard a peep out of mine. I'm pretty happy with them. In all honesty, given my substantial investment in Apex under my tank, I may have purchased the COR had they of been on the market last summer when I needed them. I'm sure they're a nice pump.
    In my experience, both the Varios and COR pumps are solid pumps. The Varios has been out longer and so has a longer track record, but the so far the COR pumps seem to be good as well. Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong with either pump, and if you already have Varios pumps, it's not worth the cost to change.

Just set the fallback on the variable port like anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    This only applies to VDM ports and the fallback can only be ON (100%) or OFF (0). For base unit ports Fallback doesn't do anything and in the event the apex head fails or gets stuck in bootloader the Varios will be at 0.
    Ok - that was what I was thinking of/afraid of. So in the event of a Apex head unit failure, a pump controlled off of the 0-10V outlet would likely get set to 0 and stop running unless you unplugged the cable, whereas the COR would fall back to it's controller setting, am I understanding correctly?

Ok - that was what I was thinking of/afraid of. So in the event of a Apex head unit failure, a pump controlled off of the 0-10V outlet would likely get set to 0 and stop running unless you unplugged the cable, whereas the COR would fall back to it's controller setting, am I understanding correctly?
    Correct. And the COR can have your normal percentage as fallback so you aren't stuck to just ON/OFF when comms are lost.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Well if i decide to test, that may make things more interesting. My gyres are on v1/2 and v3/4 on the base apex. I have all the varios pumps on a VDM. I wonder why there's a difference? Is it simply because the VDM is a module and the onboard ports are.. not? When the Apex (VDM or otherwise) sends 0v, is it just a short? When the apex fails or goes into bootloader mode, is that connection now open or will it stay shorted? That last part is where I'm assuming the local varios controller will take over.

Well if i decide to test, that may make things more interesting. My gyres are on v1/2 and v3/4 on the base apex. I have all the varios pumps on a VDM. I wonder why there's a difference? Is it simply because the VDM is a module and the onboard ports are.. not? When the Apex (VDM or otherwise) sends 0v, is it just a short? When the apex fails or goes into bootloader mode, is that connection now open or will it stay shorted? That last part is where I'm assuming the local varios controller will take over.
    Its open not shorted. The reason fallback does nothing is because the ports aren't powered up and nothing is controlling them unless the apex is powered and finished booting. The VDM can lose communication so a fallback state exists at a low level.

Frequent Visitor
    if it's open then the normal varios controller should take over operations if connected to the apex, so it would only go to 0 if the control panel was set to that or if connected to a VDM and thats what you had fallback set to - which 0% or 100% as the only two options is, pretty crappy.

if it's open then the normal varios controller should take over operations if connected to the apex, so it would only go to 0 if the control panel was set to that or if connected to a VDM and thats what you had fallback set to - which 0% or 100% as the only two options is, pretty crappy.
    0% is also open....I assume the varios uses some sort of switch to detect if the port is plugged in. If 0% keeps the varios OFF, then so would a reboot or fallback OFF on a VDM.