Thread: Plugging in Energy Bar into another Energy Bar outlet.

Regular Vistor

Plugging in Energy Bar into another Energy Bar outlet.

I know this is kinda a dumb question and probably not recommended but It might be my only option.

Im out of outlets on the 832 and was planning on getting another one, the only issue I have is that one outlet on my GFI is used for my grounding probes. I want the outlet to trip if there is a sign of electricity in the tank. So could I run another 832 off a 832 or am I just stupid.

Daisy-chaining EnergyBars like that is generally a really bad idea. However, you can get away with doing so *IF* you ensure that you do not exceed the 7A limit for the outlet on the first EnergyBar832 into which the second EnergyBar is plugged.

You’d be much better off to plug the second EB into the wall outlet and plugging the grounding probe into an EB outlet.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Would the Grounding probe trip the fuses in the 832 or the GFI if there was a excess amount of electricity.

Why not plug both EB832s and the grounding probe into an appropriate heavy-duty extension cord, and then plug that into the GFCI?

Quote Originally Posted by wyattray View Post
    Would the Grounding probe trip the fuses in the 832 or the GFI if there was a excess amount of electricity.
    All the grounds are tied regardless of where you plug a grounding probe. A tank fault will trip the GFCI not the EB8 fuses or circuit breaker. Your options are to use an outlet splitter or power strip (you should be using one anyway for surge protection) or if not possible waste an energy bar outlet for it. Personally I am not a fan of grounding probes as manufactured. I always have to add some resistance to the cable to get it to not nuisance trip anyway.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    So a better option would be, Grounding Probe and Surge protector in the outlet. Than the two Energy Bars plugged into the Surge?

New User
    I just got my new Apex (had Classic for many years). I was about to ask this question but I am a good little boy of 55 years lol and I do my searches on forums before I ask the same question. My question will be similar but not exactly the same. I currently have two EB-4's and one EB-8 on my existing Classic system. I have a basement sump where the Apex is and a first floor Display tank where I currently have the one EB-4. I can now get away with the 832 and keep ONE of the EB-4's and leave the EB-4 for just my Display Lights (T5) and the two wave pumps (I have not made the move to the WAV pumps yet).

I want to monitor my total power usage off the 832 INCLUDING the total power of the EB-4 with the lights and wave pumps. Since the lights and the two pumps draw less power than the 7 amps of the single port on the 832. I plan to hook the EB4 up to one of the 832 ports to show at least the total power usage of the lights and the pumps even though I can't get a break down of each port on the EB-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I just got my new Apex (had Classic for many years). I was about to ask this question but I am a good little boy of 55 years lol and I do my searches on forums before I ask the same question. My question will be similar but not exactly the same. I currently have two EB-4's and one EB-8 on my existing Classic system. I have a basement sump where the Apex is and a first floor Display tank where I currently have the one EB-4. I can now get away with the 832 and keep ONE of the EB-4's and leave the EB-4 for just my Display Lights (T5) and the two wave pumps (I have not made the move to the WAV pumps yet).

I want to monitor my total power usage off the 832 INCLUDING the total power of the EB-4 with the lights and wave pumps. Since the lights and the two pumps draw less power than the 7 amps of the single port on the 832. I plan to hook the EB4 up to one of the 832 ports to show at least the total power usage of the lights and the pumps even though I can't get a break down of each port on the EB-4.
    It's bad practice because of reliability, but that would work. I would suggest only doing it for a short period to get the data you want and then plug the eb4 back into the wall afterwards for better reliability.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.