Thread: PMUP total distance?

Frequent Visitor

PMUP total distance?

Reading the specs on the PMUP in the ATK, it says it can pump 14' vertically. What is the total distance (or head pressure) the PMUP can pump?

I'm looking at about a 2.5' vertical to get out of my reservoir, then down though my floor into the crawl space for roughly at 20-25' horizontal run and then another roughly 2'-3' vertical back though the floor into the sump. My SpectraPure UPLC-II can pump this setup, but it looks like the UPLC might have died on me so I'm looking at other options to replace it.

The PMUP can handle that. The extra length results in friction losses, which just slow the flow down, but don't limit the total head substantially (unless you are really close to 14' already). Since this is ATO and slower is better up to a point the extra friction losses are actually probably beneficial.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The PMUP can handle that. The extra length results in friction losses, which just slow the flow down, but don't limit the total head substantially (unless you are really close to 14' already). Since this is ATO and slower is better up to a point the extra friction losses are actually probably beneficial.

Thanks zombie, slow in this case is not an issue like you say. If I can't get the UPLC working again, I will probably switch to the ATK. Does the PMUP have a standard outlet cord on it, video on the NS site makes it look like it plugs into the FMM module and the module is then plugged into a standard outlet? My res is in a remote location obviously, so I only have access to a standard outlet in that room. I guess I could run it stand alone, but that would kind of suck since I do have the Apex system.

It uses a plug on the FMM or a 24V acc port on a 1link or EB832

New User
    So, I run an ATK under my reef tank that is fed by the PMUP in my basement. My head height difference is 11’ and I have a horizontal run of 85’. A couple of things you’ll need to be aware of:

1. The PMUP has a DC24V connector that plugs in to the FMM. It can be run from a 110VAC outlet if you purchase the PSU that has the female DC24V jack, and you plug that PSU into a controlled outlet, i.e. you have an energy bar where you want to place the PMUP.
    2. As Zombie has said, longer runs cause friction losses which in themselves are not an issue, but you can run into a second problem if you get an airlock in the 1/4” line. In my setup, when I first connected the PMUP and turned it on to check it would push water to the sump, everything was fine. However, when the pump turned off, the water in the line did not fully drain back into the water barrel in my basement, leaving airlocks and water in the 1/4” line. From that point forward the PMUP was not able to overcome the airlocks and could not push water to the sump. To overcome this, I a) connected a non-return check valve to the end of the 1/4 line at my sump, b) temporarily connected mains pressure water to the line to push out the airlocks and then c) reconnected the PMUP being careful not to get any air line the line. Once I did this, all is well and the PMUP has been functioning for a couple of months without issue.