Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATK with a remote resevoir location?

Frequent Visitor

ATK with a remote resevoir location?

My current setup has the display tank out in the main part of the house and my RO/DI reservoir is in the laundry room about 20 ~ 30 feet away. My Apex 2016 system is under the DT stand along with my sump.

From the ATK videos and documents, it looks like I have to have the pump in the reservoir, but the optical sensors and float switch in the sump. Is a setup like mine even possible with the ATK?

New here, And I just got the apex(switcing from Archon). I have the same problem as you and you cant use the ATK. So i order eye and Mod to use the eyes and stiil use my brs 50ml doeing pump for ato. Well thats what I have found.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by MJNTWise View Post
    New here, And I just got the apex(switcing from Archon). I have the same problem as you and you cant use the ATK. So i order eye and Mod to use the eyes and stiil use my brs 50ml doeing pump for ato. Well thats what I have found.
    I just got my ATK and hooked it up to my Apex. My ATO 65 gal RODI is 60' away - I too used 60' of tubing and one of my dosing pumps to pull the water and just triggered the switch ON/OFF based on . I have the ATK setup switch_3x being OPENED and CLOSED. I use a 5 gallon bucket right now to add some salt using the ATK setup pump. What I think would be great is if Neptune had an adapter that I could plug into the Pump that came with the ATO. I would run an extension cord 60' to my RODI tank and control via APEX Coding. Not sure if they actually make one so might have to go to plan B and setup my own pump to Push the water. Dosing pump takes a long time is too noisy for me to tolerate for long.

New User
    I use a 2 1/2 gallon jug sitting under my tank for easy access. I do have to fill it up every week but it works well. The pump is in the jug so everything is convenient and it was easy to set up. I have a 125 gallon tank with a 30gal sump and refugium and seems to be plenty. Just my two cents.

I have a 225 display tank with my reservoir in the basement and the ATK is working fine.

Do you have a location somewhere between the display tank and the reservoir where you can mount the ATK? My suggestion is to find that location somewhere in the middle but close enough that the optical sensors can still be connected. Then put the pump in the reservoir and run the tubing to the ATK/FMM location. I needed the extension for the pump power cable too, but it all works fine.

Good luck!

Frequent Visitor
    How long are all the cables the come with it?

Frequent Visitor
    Cable length is a question I have as well. I have a 60 gallon reservoir about 12 feet away. I can connect the module to the DOS by the reservoir or under my tank by the sump. Maybe there are extension cables you can get to help with that.

The PMUP cord is 6.5' and neptune sells 10' extension cables. I would try your darnest not to use more than one if possible and never more than 2 (there are ways around this, but it requires some engineering checks and potentially DIY changes).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I've decided it just not worth the hassle. I'll use a SpectraPure pump under my tank and run the tubing back to the remote reservoir. It also has three levels of backup built in. If I feel it is needed, I can always add a second switch float and connect that to the Apex to turn the power off to the pump.

This is a use case where having wifi as a connection option on the Apex would have been nice.

Frequent Visitor
    I found those 10' extension cables, thanks for that. I was also worried about the quality here. I have read a bunch of reviews with people complaining about failed sensors again and again. That would be a killer but not sure how old those reviews are, so the problems might be fixed. This may be a 'Winter' try out product since I will be around more to watch if it fails.

Frequent Visitor
    Many of those ‘failed’ sensors errors are usually caused by other issues. Anti-Siphon not installed, pump turning off due to programming issues etc.

I’m a NSI tester so I’m earlier than early adopters and mine has been flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Would the ATK not work with an additional FMM in the 'reservoir room' and link it to the apex via the 30' aquabus cable. And the fmm from the atk package can be in the tank cabinet with sensors plugged into it. Then adjust any programming via the fusion interface??

Frequent Visitor
    You could potentially mount the FMM anywhere; there are many potential options. You need a place to plug in the optical sensors as well as a place to plug in the PMUP. The problem with running a long cord to the from the FMM to the PMUP is that it's a relatively small cord and if you have too long of an extension on it then the cumulative resistance of the wire increases and you loose voltage/power.

If you mount the FMM in the other room with the RO/DI reservoir, then you would either need to get extension cords for the optical sensors or get another FMM to mount by the sump. You can get TRRS extensions for the optical sensors, I just don't know how long they can be.

A third option would be to use either a 24v mechanical relay or a SSR (solid state relay) coupled to a local power supply near the reservoir so you would only be using the FMM to send a low power signal that would in turn activate the relay that switch that controlled power to the pump. (There are other potential concerns with this, so don't do it unless you're comfortable with it and have a basic knowledge of circuits.)

New User
    Yes that is what I meant.
    Use 2 FMM's. put 1 fmm at your tank location and plug in the sensors. And put 1 fmm in the reservoir location with its own power supply for the pmup. Then link the two to your apex via the aquabus cables, you can get 30ft cables and extensions for this cable with no loss of functionality. Problem solved . No need to get extensions for sensors or power supplies.

New User
    Can anyone advise what the programming looks like to tell the display tank ATK to look for the PMUP which is connected to a remote FMM or EB832?

Default ATK setup obviously assumes the PMUP is plugged into the display tank ATK when in reality it is remote. In my case my mixing station is downstairs and I have the PMUP plugged into my EB832. My display tank houses the ATK along with the optical sensors. Not sure how to tweak the software to make the remotely plugged in PMUP work however.

Would appreciate some further detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailz396 View Post
    Can anyone advise what the programming looks like to tell the display tank ATK to look for the PMUP which is connected to a remote FMM or EB832?

Default ATK setup obviously assumes the PMUP is plugged into the display tank ATK when in reality it is remote. In my case my mixing station is downstairs and I have the PMUP plugged into my EB832. My display tank houses the ATK along with the optical sensors. Not sure how to tweak the software to make the remotely plugged in PMUP work however.

Would appreciate some further detail.
    Copy paste the code into whatever outlet the PMUP is actually connected to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Noted re cross posting.

I would have thought it should be that simple. I thought I tried precisely that however must be doing it incorrectly. I will try again tomorrow and post my results in more detail.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Copy paste the code into whatever outlet the PMUP is actually connected to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I had been trying to look for a place to change the output location within the settings for the ATK itself. As you stated above, I should have simply pasted the ATK code to the output the PMUP was connected to. Working fine now. Thanks!

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukestar View Post
    Yes that is what I meant.
    Use 2 FMM's. put 1 fmm at your tank location and plug in the sensors. And put 1 fmm in the reservoir location with its own power supply for the pmup. Then link the two to your apex via the aquabus cables, you can get 30ft cables and extensions for this cable with no loss of functionality. Problem solved . No need to get extensions for sensors or power supplies.
    I know this is an old thread but this is exactly what I was thinking. I bought an ATK and already had a second FMM from a leak detector that came with 2 leak sensors. So there's two free ports already in the tank for the ATK sensors, and I can but the second FMM in my RO/DI area (in my case outside in a patio cabinet purpose built for ATK and water change barrels - 2x180 gallon aquariums so I needed a decent amount of water storage) and what I like about this idea is I could add another two level sensors for my two barrels (the ATK freshwater and water change saltwater) so I know when they're getting low and I need to kick on my RODI. OR maybe you put set them up to alert me when my rodi has fully filled the barrels so I can shut it off? Anyway, I was thinking of this solution and am glad I found someone who had the same idea. Did it work out for you just to connect a second FMM via aquabus extension cable with the sensors on the other FMM at the sump?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dliguori25 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but this is exactly what I was thinking. I bought an ATK and already had a second FMM from a leak detector that came with 2 leak sensors. So there's two free ports already in the tank for the ATK sensors, and I can but the second FMM in my RO/DI area (in my case outside in a patio cabinet purpose built for ATK and water change barrels - 2x180 gallon aquariums so I needed a decent amount of water storage) and what I like about this idea is I could add another two level sensors for my two barrels (the ATK freshwater and water change saltwater) so I know when they're getting low and I need to kick on my RODI. OR maybe you put set them up to alert me when my rodi has fully filled the barrels so I can shut it off? Anyway, I was thinking of this solution and am glad I found someone who had the same idea. Did it work out for you just to connect a second FMM via aquabus extension cable with the sensors on the other FMM at the sump?
    Correct yes. Auabus extension cable to remote and 2nd FMM worked perfect!

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailz396 View Post
    Correct yes. Auabus extension cable to remote and 2nd FMM worked perfect!
    That's great news. Thanks for taking the time to confirm that for me!

New User

remote ATO resevoir

Setting up remote ATO resevoir as described above using ATK. Using FMM module at tank for optical sensors. 60 ft run cable to second FMM at resevoir. Did setup for ATK, which has PMUP running from first FMM with optical sensors. I cannot figure out how to get PMUP to get recognized and programmed to work from remote FMM. I have updated software and tested remote FMM using leak detectors and it works. Just doesn't recognize PMUP and ATK configuration still had PMUP from tank FMM

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahoreefer View Post
    Setting up remote ATO resevoir as described above using ATK. Using FMM module at tank for optical sensors. 60 ft run cable to second FMM at resevoir. Did setup for ATK, which has PMUP running from first FMM with optical sensors. I cannot figure out how to get PMUP to get recognized and programmed to work from remote FMM. I have updated software and tested remote FMM using leak detectors and it works. Just doesn't recognize PMUP and ATK configuration still had PMUP from tank FMM
    You just need to copy/cut the programming from the first FMM's 24v output, and paste it into the 2nd FMM's 24v output. Then rename each 24v output so the 2nd one is labelled as your ATK PMUP, then remove the old one from your dashboard so there's no confusion of which one is which.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.32.21 PM.png

New User

thank you!

Thanks. That worked.
    Do you have an opinion on run time for PMUP.
    Currently have Min Time 30 min, but because of evaporation rate, PMUP turns on like clockwork every 30 minutes. Runs for around 30 seconds, then turns off.
    I know for tank stablity, more often the better, but how about PMUP life

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    You just need to copy/cut the programming from the first FMM's 24v output, and paste it into the 2nd FMM's 24v output. Then rename each 24v output so the 2nd one is labelled as your ATK PMUP, then remove the old one from your dashboard so there's no confusion of which one is which.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.32.21 PM.png

This is how I have a remote ATO reservoir set up as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast