Thread: pumps out of control

Regular Vistor

pumps out of control

my setup is not that complicated. I have 2x WAV pumps attached to my Apex controller. I've updated to the latest firmware (5.03_9D17), but before that update and also after, I've been unable to get the pumps to act consistently. What generally happens is that I start my schedule and they act accordingly for a while, but then go from the very low GPH I've set (minimum of 1% to 8% maximum) to 100%. Needless to say, on a 90 gallon tank, this turns my aquarium into a hurricane. I have no clue why it's doing this. I tried switching to another schedule, one I found under discovery, but as with the first schedule, it would act correctly for a while, but then go to 100% GPH. Need help!

wav1.jpg

See those Unknowns? When you use Mirror or Inverse, you must choose a Reference pump.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    thanks for fixing what should have been obvious to me. iit works fine now

Regular Vistor
    one more issue, related to this one. I updated the firmware today (5.03_AB17). During the update, it told me that I would lose contact with the controller for time. My pumps spun up to 100% during the update, which I assumed was normal. After the update, though, the pumps continued to spin at 100%, despite my programming. Is there a proper way to execute schedules that I'm not doing? And because of that, the pumps are not taking the schedule I set up? I hope this makes sense. They were acting fine for the last few days, until I did the update. That was the only change.
    5.03_AB175.03_AB175.03_AB175.03_AB17

NSI Member
    Also on your mirror and inverse settings the % is a percent of the reference pump. If you want it the same intensity as the reference pump you should set the mirror and inverse to 100%. Otherwise if say you had the 1st pump set to 50% and the mirror pump also set to 50% it would be 50% of the 1st pump or 25% power.

Regular Vistor
    what I don't get about this and why I keep coming back to this thread is that I start up these pumps, they work for a while, then jack up to 100% and my tank turns into a cyclone. it's like they are ignoring my programming again. I'm just not sure what changes are occurring to cause them to ramp up like that. Fortunately, I'm just cycling the tank right now, so it's not too much trouble. Still, two of these pumps in a 90 gallon tank, both running at 4000 rpm is quite a bit of turbulence.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boneless3vil View Post
    what I don't get about this and why I keep coming back to this thread is that I start up these pumps, they work for a while, then jack up to 100% and my tank turns into a cyclone. it's like they are ignoring my programming again. I'm just not sure what changes are occurring to cause them to ramp up like that. Fortunately, I'm just cycling the tank right now, so it's not too much trouble. Still, two of these pumps in a 90 gallon tank, both running at 4000 rpm is quite a bit of turbulence.
    Could you post the same screenshot that you did in your original post with the current WAV programming? If you could do it for both pumps that would great.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Could you post the same screenshot that you did in your original post with the current WAV programming? If you could do it for both pumps that would great.
    here it is. Crazy thing. I changed back to my original programming so I can show you this screenshot. Now it works fine. Weird. What I have been doing for the past two days is to not use any referencing. By doing so, the pumps acted predictably. It was just when I turned on reference pumping that I ran into issues. like I said, I turned on the following scheme (these two screenshots) and it seems to be working. *Fingers crossed*

wav_4_1.jpgwav_5_1.jpg

You cannot have both pumps using Mirror or Inverse and referencing each other at the same time. The result will be unpredictable at best, because neither pump knows what to do. If you use Mirror, Inverse, or Back on one pump, the other pump must be using one of the 7 other modes such as Pulse, Mavericks, Rincon, etc. during whatever time periods you use Mirror, Inverse, or Back.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

NSI Member
    Here's an example from my setup. The left pump is programmed with various modes and intensities. The right pump is set to follow the left in an inverse mode. The 100% on the right pump means to use the same intensity as the left pump. If the left pump is at 20%, then setting the right at 100% inverse would mean it would run in the inverse of the left pump and also at 20%. If you wanted it to use half the intensity of the left you would set the right at 50%.

Left.JPG

Right.JPG

Regular Vistor
    thanks, my set up was certainly messed up. Works great now.