Thread: Flow sensor calculation question

Frequent Visitor

Flow sensor calculation question

I have 3 1" flow sensors

I have a bean animal setup up my 120 gallon Display and 20 gallon Frag tank. Both these tanks feed a 40 gallon Sump designed for Triton Method. I'm trying to figure out the turn over in my sump.

If I was to put a flow sensor on the left side of the return of my 120 another on the right side of my 120 and the third on the return of my Frag tank.

Would that give me a good idea of the turn over in my sump?

My original idea which I read won't work was to have both tanks "T" into the flow sensor. I read that I'll get goofy readings on the return without the full siphon.

Regardless of where you put it, you will get poor readings from any return into your sump. Air will mix with the water and since the flow sensors are entirely based on velocity and not true mass flow rate sensors, you will read high because the air space gets counted as water when it converts to flow. If you can find a place that never has any air whatsoever, you have a shot at getting a correct reading.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Regardless of where you put it, you will get poor readings from any return into your sump. Air will mix with the water and since the flow sensors are entirely based on velocity and not true mass flow rate sensors, you will read high because the air space gets counted as water when it converts to flow. If you can find a place that never has any air whatsoever, you have a shot at getting a correct reading.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Sorry I didn't explain it correctly. I understand that I'm not going to be able to put it on the returns into the sump as I'll get inaccurate readings.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I placed the a sensor on the right side entrance of my bulk head from my return pump, and the left side entrance from my return pump, then the frag entrance from my return pump. Then add those numbers would I get an accurate reading if I added all the GPHs together. Hopefully my picture explains it a bit better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GugsJr View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the turn over in my sump.
    Sounds like your over complicating things(I do this all the time), possibly in order to use up all the parts you have? What goes up, must come down. Two sensors should be enough. One flow sensor on each return pump will tell you how many gph is going up. Assuming the water comes back down(and is not overflowing the tank onto your floor,s leaving the system), than adding those two, if accurate readings, is what is going up and down.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the sensors which might be what your asking about/trying to get to in your question? (this is something I am looking into and I haven't installed any myself)

Frequent Visitor