Thread: 0 - 10 V Output Won't Go to Zero

0 - 10 V Output Won't Go to Zero

I am setting up a dimming LED fixture using a Steve's LED's 0-10V board. The fixture did not dim to zero so I pulled out the multi meter and found that the output did not quite go to zero. I checked to see if the cable was close to any power cords etc. Now I don't really know how to use that thing but I set the meter to 10 volt DC and found the voltage roughly corresponded to the settings in the controller. ...100, 80, 60, 40 and 20 percent. I then found that the meter showed that when the controller was set to zero, the output was very low but not off. Then I set the meter to 2.5 and got a better reading.

Do I need to put some kind of a resistor on the line or something?

That's a tiny bit higher than normal but it is normal for the variable to not go all the way down to zero. Typical is 0.05-0.1V and your meter is reading 0.15V or about 1.5% (assuming your meter is actually calibrated).

If your light fixture won't turn off completely, you have two options.

1. Use an energy bar outlet to cut power to the entire fixture when you want it zero.

2. Install a diode in series rated: maximum reverse voltage above 20V, forward/bias voltage less than 0.5V, and maximum forward current above 50mA. Doing so will make anything below 5% be completely off.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Thank you

It worked! I went to the electronics store, showed then your post and they pulled this. I put it in line for this test setup and it worked first time out. It is lit down to 3% and turns of at 2%. That's about as good as it gets.

Thank you very much.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That's a tiny bit higher than normal but it is normal for the variable to not go all the way down to zero. Typical is 0.05-0.1V and your meter is reading 0.15V or about 1.5% (assuming your meter is actually calibrated).

If your light fixture won't turn off completely, you have two options.

1. Use an energy bar outlet to cut power to the entire fixture when you want it zero.

2. Install a diode in series rated: maximum reverse voltage above 20V, forward/bias voltage less than 0.5V, and maximum forward current above 50mA. Doing so will make anything below 5% be completely off.

Does this work for all? I wanna hook my mars hydro and have it turn off but wod need the outlet for something else

Envoyé de mon SM-G930W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
    Does this work for all? I wanna hook my mars hydro and have it turn off but wod need the outlet for something else

Yes, but do note it has the disadvantage of reducing 100% intensity down from 10V to 10V minus the forward bias voltage. If your application is not turning off at zero AND you don't need to reach 100%, the diode in series trick will work.

Regular Vistor
    Yes, but do note it has the disadvantage of reducing 100% intensity down from 10V to 10V minus the forward bias voltage. If your application is not turning off at zero AND you don't need to reach 100%, the diode in series trick will work.

So in your example anything between 9,5v and 10v would be reduce by 100% thats it?

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
    So in your example anything between 9,5v and 10v would be reduce by 100% thats it?

The diode offsets and basically steals voltage from the percentage. So if you had a 0.5V forward bias diode, then 100% would be effectively 95%, 90 would be 85, 5 or less would be 0, etc. The actual output after the diode is the voltage before the diode minus the forward bias voltage of the diode.

Regular Vistor
    The diode offsets and basically steals voltage from the percentage. So if you had a 0.5V forward bias diode, then 100% would be effectively 95%, 90 would be 85, 5 or less would be 0, etc. The actual output after the diode is the voltage before the diode minus the forward bias voltage of the diode.

Thanks a lot for the info