Thread: Apex Powerlog

Regular Vistor

Apex Powerlog

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out my energy costs using the Apex. Right now I have one heater 300 watts and a return pump 130 watts, plugged into my apex. The dashboard does show both of them being plugged in and it does show the total as 406 watts.

So with the above peripherals connected, I am trying to calculate the cost. I looked up my electric bill and it says
    6.29 KWH.

So i am entering 6.29/1000 = 0.0062.

Is my math correct? Please let me know where I am messing it up.

Thank you,
    Vamsi

New User
    Hi Vamsi
    What does the 6.29 represent?
    You would be better averaging the power usage over 24 hours or so. Reason being is the 406 watts is the current amount of power being consumed. Your heater will cycle on and off throughout the day. You are billed by the power company in kWh (kilowatt hours) or a rate per kilowatt per hour.

For example, if you’re using 200 watts an hour and your rate is $.09 kWh your total per hour would be - 200(watts)/1000(kW conversion)x.09(rate) = $.018 per hour then just multiply by 24 for daily rate by 30 for monthly rate by 12 for annual.

Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the lightning symbol on fusion there is actually a daily cost estimator that calculates the kWh over a 24 hour period (or up to 7 days) after you enter a cost per kWh. You can use that to get a better monthly cost estimate. This factors in things like heaters not running 24/7 and lighting only being on half the day.

Your cost per kWh is your total electric bill cost divided by the kWh of that bill.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtadams79 View Post
    Hi Vamsi
    What does the 6.29 represent?
    You would be better averaging the power usage over 24 hours or so. Reason being is the 406 watts is the current amount of power being consumed. Your heater will cycle on and off throughout the day. You are billed by the power company in kWh (kilowatt hours) or a rate per kilowatt per hour.

For example, if you’re using 200 watts an hour and your rate is $.09 kWh your total per hour would be - 200(watts)/1000(kW conversion)x.09(rate) = $.018 per hour then just multiply by 24 for daily rate by 30 for monthly rate by 12 for annual.

Make sense?

Hi Jtadams,
    Thank you for the reply. my rate is 6.29 cents per KWH. That is the rate from my electric bill.
    So my kWh = 6.29/100 = 0.0629.
    ?

Thanks,
    Vamsi.

The 6.29 value seems like it’s the usage for that billing period, not the cost. Look at the bill - it should show the cost per kWh - that is the value you need to enter in the Power Log Configuration.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ79 View Post
    Hi Jtadams,
    Thank you for the reply. my rate is 6.29 cents per KWH. That is the rate from my electric bill.
    So my kWh = 6.29/100 = 0.0629.
    ?

Thanks,
    Vamsi.
    You got it, 6.29¢ is the same as $.0629. The 6.29¢ is the cost to use 1000 watts for an hour.

Glad to help,

Josh

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ79 View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to figure out my energy costs using the Apex. Right now I have one heater 300 watts and a return pump 130 watts, plugged into my apex. The dashboard does show both of them being plugged in and it does show the total as 406 watts.

So with the above peripherals connected, I am trying to calculate the cost. I looked up my electric bill and it says
    6.29 KWH.

So i am entering 6.29/1000 = 0.0062.

Is my math correct? Please let me know where I am messing it up.

Thank you,
    Vamsi
    So then .0062 (cents) would be the cost to run one watt for one hour.

If you are entering your rate into Fusion, then use .0629 DOLLARS (6.29¢) into ‘Cost per kWh’ because Fusion is requesting the rate in USD. This should give you a fairly accurate amount of your tank’s energy consumption.

J

Regular Vistor
    Thank you Josh.