Thread: Chiller pump timer

Frequent Visitor

Chiller pump timer

I have a pump on an outlet on an EB8 that runs the flow through my chiller. I obviously only want it on when the chiller is running (using the Apex temp probe to turn it on and off). However, so I don’t get stagnant water in the chiller, I also want it to run for 5 minutes each morning, just to give it a good flush.
    I start with the basics:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    Then add my temp program:
    If temp > 79 then ON
    If temp < 78 then OFF
    But I also add the line:
    If time 5:00 to 5:05 then ON

A few weeks ago, it wasn’t turning off, so I added the “Set” line. Then, it didn’t go on and just chilled itself with no flow the next day. I think I’m lacking some understanding in the “Fallback” and “Set” commands.
    Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't base the operation of the pump on temperature. Use temperature-based programming only for the chiller itself, and then make the pump run whenever the chiller is on.

'Fallback' is not used during normal operation. Read about Fallback here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...About-FALLBACK

'Set' should not be used when the intent is to operate a device based on low and high probe values. Read more about that topic here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...l=1#post114462

Here's what you need to do... your chiller outlet should be programmed like this:

[Chiller]
    Fallback OFF
    If temp > 79 then ON
    If temp < 78 then OFF

The pump should be programmed like this:

[ChillerPump]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Output Chiller = ON Then ON
    If Time 05:00 to 05:01 Then ON
    Defer 003:00 Then OFF

The If Output Chiller line makes the pump turn on whenever the chiller turns on. The If Time line makes the pump run for 2 (yes, 2) minutes at 5AM every morning. The Defer statement delays the pump from turning off for 3 minutes after other programming no longer keeps the pump running. This serves two purposes - by keeping the pump running for a few minutes after the chiller itself shuts off, water continues to get circulated through the chiller, drawing out residual "chill"; It also make the daily flush actually last 5 minutes - 2 minutes from the If Time statement + 3 minutes from the Defer.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    :

[Chiller]
    Fallback OFF
    If temp > 79 then ON
    If temp < 78 then OFF

The pump should be programmed like this:

[ChillerPump]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 05:00 to 05:01 Then ON
    Defer 003:00 Then OFF
    Okay, I named my outlet at 4_4, “Chiller”

But when I copy your code, I get an error....

I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing. However, try using If Outlet Chiller = On Then ON instead of If Output . If that works, then your Apex has old firmware and it should be updated to the latest.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Chiller pump timer

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing. However, try using If Outlet Chiller = On Then ON instead of If Output . If that works, then your Apex has old firmware and it should be updated to the latest.
    Got it. Thank you. And yes, I do need to get the mega-Long cable and do the firmware.....

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Missing the "=" sign. If outlet chiller = on then on
    Chad

You didn’t use the required = sign in the If Outlet Chiller statement.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, I caught that, and by the time I could edit my post, you guys had replied. Fast finger on the support line tonight. Thanks.

New User
    I'm new to this forum and I just purchase an Apex and a core 20. Love it. All is working fine except this issue. I have a chiller and a separate pump for the chiller that is in the sump. I had both the chiller and the chillerpump on the same outlet #8 with an adapter. The chiller and pump would come on and both go off with my settings but I wanted my pump to run on it's own to flush the standing water out of the chiller just in case the chiller doesn't come on. The chiller code was:
    Fallback OFF
    If Tmp > 78.0 Then ON
    If Tmp < 77.1 Then OFF
    If Time 8:00 to 08:02 Then ON

The chiller goes on and off as it should based on the temp but the pump and chiller power did not go on no matter what the time I indicated to flush out the chiller. So then I put the chillerpump into outlet 7 and left the chiller is outlet 8.

Chiller code:
    Fallback OFF
    If Tmp > 78.0 Then ON
    If Tmp < 77.1 Then OFF

chillerpump code:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 08:00 to 08:02 Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then OFF

When the chiller came on the chillperpump turned on as it should and the chiller cooled and shut off and the chillerpump shut off as indicated. But again no matter what time I indicated the chillerpump would not come on to flush out the chiller. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Stuart