Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kessil H80

Frequent Visitor

Kessil H80

Is the Kessil H80 refugium light controllable through the Apex? Sorry if this has been posted but I couldn’t find anything about it. I have 2 Kessil 360Ws running right now through the Apex. Some programming for the H80 would be appreciated also if this is possible.

Yes! Absolutely. You will need this cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...tune-apex.html , and 2 variable outputs on the same Apex jack either base controller or VDM. Hook it up and plug it into your H80. One variable out now controls color (using the wizard, 'grow' is around 40%, 'bloom' around 70%; I run it at 40% most of the time), and the other controls intensity (I just use 100% and 0%.)

New User
    Hi, I've set my H80 Tuna Flora to 40% colour and 100% intensity. I'm reading 4V and 10V respectively when I put my multi meter across the relevant parts of the plug (the plug is a DYI and I've tested for continuity and shorts). The problem I have is that when I plug it into the Kessil the light turns blue, rather than the mixture of blue and red that I get in grow mode. Does anyone know why this is the case. I'm starting the think the H80 cannot be connected to the Apex. Has anyone actually done this. I'm using the variable speed ports on an Apex Classic. Thanks Ian

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks, I’ve been on the fence about the purchase of the H80, that will seal the deal rkpeterson. Ian, I am not an electrical engineer but it sounds like your wiring isn’t right if you’re not able to control the spektrum of your light. I would suggest the link above for the factory cable, it’s worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi, I've set my H80 Tuna Flora to 40% colour and 100% intensity. I'm reading 4V and 10V respectively when I put my multi meter across the relevant parts of the plug (the plug is a DYI and I've tested for continuity and shorts). The problem I have is that when I plug it into the Kessil the light turns blue, rather than the mixture of blue and red that I get in grow mode. Does anyone know why this is the case. I'm starting the think the H80 cannot be connected to the Apex. Has anyone actually done this. I'm using the variable speed ports on an Apex Classic. Thanks Ian
    It's probably your cable and jack that aren't working properly. I'm controlling an H80 with the Apex 2016, as mentioned above, using the Kessil cable. Also don't forget that the relevant variable out tile has to be programmed and then set to auto to get the right color.

Frequent Visitor
    Can you turn the light on an off using this cable? I am trying to free up space on my Energy 832. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes you can. My H80 goes out entirely when the intensity channel (variable out 2 or 4 on the Apex base unit) is set to OFF.

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you very much. Going to order the cable.��

Regular Vistor
    Bringing this up for some air-

I have just purchased the H80 and I am a fairly new Apex user so still learning how to configure it. Currently I just have the H80 on the REFLIGHT_2_7 and set to turn on/off opposite of the main lights. The H80 is set to "Grow" and color is Red. What are the benefits of using the cable? Are my settings good enough? Currently have about 2 handfuls of Chaeto and seems to be growing nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by Navymedic View Post
    Bringing this up for some air-

I have just purchased the H80 and I am a fairly new Apex user so still learning how to configure it. Currently I just have the H80 on the REFLIGHT_2_7 and set to turn on/off opposite of the main lights. The H80 is set to "Grow" and color is Red. What are the benefits of using the cable? Are my settings good enough? Currently have about 2 handfuls of Chaeto and seems to be growing nicely...
    The only real benefit is the ability to remotely "adjust the dials" refugiums don't benefit from ramping like your display does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The only real benefit is the ability to remotely "adjust the dials" refugiums don't benefit from ramping like your display does.

I thought the same, I will save my $20 and use toward something else. Thank you zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Yes! Absolutely. You will need this cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...tune-apex.html , and 2 variable outputs on the same Apex jack either base controller or VDM. Hook it up and plug it into your H80. One variable out now controls color (using the wizard, 'grow' is around 40%, 'bloom' around 70%; I run it at 40% most of the time), and the other controls intensity (I just use 100% and 0%.)
    How many of these cables you need to connect one Kessil h80 to apex? I am getting the impression you need 2 to set up one light. Also in which of the 2 jack you plug the cable into if only one is needed? In the input or in the output jack? Is it still necessary to power the H80 with its power adaptor and plugged in to the EB832? Or just to a regular mains?

Any help from anyone is appreciated.
    When You're a NOOB, You need lots of help all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 2mk View Post
    How many of these cables you need to connect one Kessil h80 to apex? I am getting the impression you need 2 to set up one light. Also in which of the 2 jack you plug the cable into if only one is needed? In the input or in the output jack? Is it still necessary to power the H80 with its power adaptor and plugged in to the EB832? Or just to a regular mains?

Any help from anyone is appreciated.
    Just one cable. The cable carries two channels from one Apex jack to the Input jack on the light.
    When the cable is plugged in, the variable outputs are in control and the dials on the light no longer function.
    The Output jack is if you want to daisy chain control to another light. That's a different cable.
    The cable is just communication so you still need to power the light normally, either plugged into the wall and controlled completely with the variable outputs, or plugged into an EB for additional control options.

Just one cable. The cable carries two channels from one Apex jack to the Input jack on the light.
    When the cable is plugged in, the variable outputs are in control and the dials on the light no longer function.
    The Output jack is if you want to daisy chain control to another light. That's a different cable.
    The cable is just communication so you still need to power the light normally, either plugged into the wall and controlled completely with the variable outputs, or plugged into an EB for additional control options.
    Thanks. That answers a lot of my questions. Ordered a H-80 and one cable a couple of days ago, but thought I need two. I assume apex programming is what controls on/off function besides intensity and color of the H-80 if not plugged into EB832?

Thanks. That answers a lot of my questions. Ordered a H-80 and one cable a couple of days ago, but thought I need two. I assume apex programming is what controls on/off function besides intensity and color of the H-80 if not plugged into EB832?
    You can actually just plug it into a wall outlet and just have the apex control color and intensity with whatever variable speed ports you have it connected to with the kessil cable.

You can actually just plug it into a wall outlet and just have the apex control color and intensity with whatever variable speed ports you have it connected to with the kessil cable.

So a 0 intensity equal light off instead of using the eb832 to cut H-80 power. So intensity schedule is based from one specific on time (some to full intensity) to one specific off time (0 intensity)? Is this being done at the variable speed tile cog area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Kessil H80 arrived with the Apex cable. Connected the H80 to Variable speed (VarSpd) port 1.
    I am able to turn on/off the H80 at full intensity with the VarSpd 1, and the VarSpd 2 turns the H80 from white to Red. Other than that it does nothing else in terms of controlling it.

Question:

How do or what do I program the H80 at the output configuration section?
    A sample code would greatly be appreciated.

I have intensity at 100%. Here's my variable speed channel for the light color.
    I use an hour of intense red light in the middle of the night just because.
    Otherwise 40% is a good growing color, for chaeto anyway.
    I don't run the light 24/7 as suggested here.
    I also have it plugged into an EB with a reverse photoperiod.
    So I can also use it for other things, such as turning on when I open a cabinet door at any time.
    To shut it off with just the variable outlets, take the other channel, intensity, down to zero when you want the light off.

Clipboard07.jpg

I have intensity at 100%. Here's my variable speed channel for the light color.
    I use an hour of intense red light in the middle of the night just because.
    Otherwise 40% is a good growing color, for chaeto anyway.
    I don't run the light 24/7 as suggested here.
    I also have it plugged into an EB with a reverse photoperiod.
    So I can also use it for other things, such as turning on when I open a cabinet door at any time.
    To shut it off with just the variable outlets, take the other channel, intensity, down to zero when you want the light off.

Clipboard07.jpg
    Where do you access the screenshot you have here?

Where do you access the screenshot you have here?

Click on the gear at the upper right of the variable outlet tile you want to configure.
    The default should be as pictured above, which is called the Wizard View.
    If clicking on the gear brings you to actual code (called Basic View), you can switch to the Wizard by clicking on the grey box at upper left.

Click on the gear at the upper right of the variable outlet tile you want to configure.
    If clicking on the gear brings you to actual code (called Basic View), you can switch to the Wizard by clicking on the grey box at upper left.
    RkPetersen

Thank you very much. I was totally lost and now you pointed to the right direction.

Can you clarify with using the other channel to turn down intensity to 0 to shut the light off?

Just to recap. You used channel 1 to adjust the color of the h80. So how does channel 2 looks like for you? Is it time based to be 100% for on, and also time based for channel to be 2 0% for off?

I have mimic your suggestion on Channel 2
    Will the following in Channel 1 turn the h80 on and off?

Intensity.jpg

That's it!

Except I'd have it on for longer. A 16 hour photoperiod for the fuge seems to work well.

That's it!

Except I'd have it on for longer. A 16 hour photoperiod for the fuge seems to work well.

Thank you. I will adjust it to keep it on longer.

Currently it is just mirroring the lights off period of the display tank.

That's it!

Your suggestion is below.
    A side question. Do you think my Main tank lights are on for too long?

Lights.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast