Thread: Confused by If Power Apex Off XXX

Confused by If Power Apex Off XXX

I'm really confused by the IF POWER APEX OFF programming and the resulting behavior I'm getting.

I have an Apex 2016 with power monitoring enabled and an additional (supplemental) 12V power supply connected to the apex controller unit. That 12V power supply connected directly to the wall outlet. The EB832 is connected to a large UPS.

Lets say I put the following statement in an outlet:
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF

The resulting behavior when I simulate a power outage by unplugging the supplemental 12V power supply from the wall is: The outlet immediately turns OFF.

The resulting behavior when Apex reboots/restarts is: The outlet immediately turns OFF.

This has been annoying me, because I do not want the outlet to turn off when Apex reboots/restarts.

Now, lets say that I put the following statement in the same outlet:
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

The resulting behavior when I simulate a power outage by unplugging the supplemental 12V power supply from the wall is: The outlet immediately turns OFF.

The resulting behavior when Apex reboots/restarts is: The outlet stays ON.

It seems that If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF is working the way I want.

Can you help me understand the behavior? Is this the expected one?

That looks right. The 'xxx' component of the command determines how long the state lasts after the condition ends. So in your first example, the outlet stays off for 1 minute after the power is restored and then turns on.

This is the same syntax that's used with the 'If FeedX xxx Then ON/OFF' command; The command stays active for 'xxx' minutes after the Feed timer expires.

What you describe is normal and expected behavior when you have the system setup the way you describe with 1 12v adapter and the EB backed by a UPS, and have Power Monitoring enabled.

In your case, If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF is the right statement to use.

Edited to correct an error caused by Acute Caffeine Deficiency Syndrome.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Hi RussM and RK. Thanks for your replies.

Russ, I did say I have Power Monitoring enabled in the second paragraph: "I have an Apex 2016 with power monitoring enabled and an additional (supplemental) 12V power supply connected to the apex controller unit. That 12V power supply connected directly to the wall outlet. The EB832 is connected to a large UPS"

I still don't understand why 001 behaves differently if there is a power outage vs. a reboot/restart. I think that either the reboot/restart should not behave at all as a power outage or it should behave exactly as one. I'm trying to mitigate the impact of my Apex restarting frequently recently.

Quote Originally Posted by rsucre View Post
    Russ, I did say I have Power Monitoring enabled in the second paragraph
    Yeah, I know... note that I corrected myself right after posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by rsucre View Post
    I still don't understand why 001 behaves differently if there is a power outage vs. a reboot/restart. I think that either the reboot/restart should not behave at all as a power outage or it should behave exactly as one.
    While an Apex reboots, it isn't running; when the Apex finishes rebooting, it "knows" that something disrupted its operations, so assumes that it was a power outage.

If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF says "If there is no power to the Apex, turn OFF this output"
    If Power Apex Off ### Then OFF says "If there is no power to the Apex, turn OFF this output and keep it OFF for an additional ### minutes after power has been restored"

Right after an Apex reboots and starts evaluating programming, it sees that there is power on the aux power input, so the If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF statement is false.
    After an Apex reboots and starts evaluating programming, it sees that there is power on the aux power input but knows that it had a disruption of some sort and handles that as if there was a power outage. So the If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF statement is true for that first minute after the reboot.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Russ, thanks a lot!