Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network issues/reboots with AB17 firmware

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by inh View Post
    Have you disabled it at all in your trouble shooting?

I just disabled it. Its been rebooting every night. Hopefully will see if it happens tonight. I also opened a case.
    No I have not disabled it during troubleshooting. Working with Neptune Support on the back side systematically looking for the cause.

What seems odd to me is mine only reboots during the week and between 7:30 am to 4:30 pm in the afternoon. Once day it went until 8pm but only once. Was stable all weekend from Friday night till Monday morning at 8:28am.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sltwtrfsh View Post
    No I have not disabled it during troubleshooting. Working with Neptune Support on the back side systematically looking for the cause.

What seems odd to me is mine only reboots during the week and between 7:30 am to 4:30 pm in the afternoon. Once day it went until 8pm but only once. Was stable all weekend from Friday night till Monday morning at 8:28am.
    Can you ask them if there is a way to manually download the previous firmware in the 2016.

Do you have heartbeat enabled?

I was thinking about disabling this. I did notice as soon as my apex rebooted last night my ISP also dropped my internet connection. There seems to be a direct coloration when my ISP drops sync, and my Apex reboots. Heartbeat is the only think I could think of programmatically that would cause that.
    Disabling Heartbeat won’t help. It is a function entirely within Apex Fusion, out in the cloud. An Apex does not even “know” anything about Heartbeat.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    Can you ask them if there is a way to manually download the previous firmware in the 2016.
    Zombie and RussM have never steered me or anyone wrong that I know of, if they say it can only be done on Classic and not on the 2016 model... would believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Disabling Heartbeat won’t help. It is a function entirely within Apex Fusion, out in the cloud. An Apex does not even “know” anything about Heartbeat.

What can i do to stop my apex from rebooting then?

What can i do to stop my apex from rebooting then?
    Continue working with tech support.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sltwtrfsh View Post
    Zombie and RussM have never steered me or anyone wrong that I know of, if they say it can only be done on Classic and not on the 2016 model... would believe them.
    There are ways to do it, but the methods are not publicly available. In the rare event that a firmware must be "rolled back" you have to contact support and schedule a remote session. Most times the issue is not directly due to the firmware and rolling back often causes more harm than good on the 2016.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Ironically, sounds like unplugging/disconnecting it from the network will stop the reboots based on a previous post, but it also stops you from monitoring/changing anything. Reporting to Neptune will aid in raising their awareness that it's a serious issue, not just isolated a one or 2 users.

New User
    Hi there,

My Apex Classic was working like a Charm until I did the 4.53 F/W update on Sunday, it rebooted and then my display turned blue and everything is gone. I am running all my tanks now without Apex so nothing like CaReactor, ATO's with Kalk, DOS, heaters, refugium lights, etc., etc. is working, too bad as now I am blind. I contacted Apex today but after re-doing the tricks on the book, I was told to send the unit back to them. I really don't have the time to dismount everything from my tank, buy power strips, pay for shipping, $35 diagnose and from $35-$150 for Neptune to check, send it back and then re-mount everything again just because of a routine F/W update that went run even when I did everything as required. I read that others have been having problems after the update so apparently it is a corrupt F/W.

I tried to find the Old Dashboard too, but now the Apex is not found. Disconnected, reconnected, well, everything...

Have anybody found how to solve this issue before I have to take down all the well mounted units?

Thank You All in advance!

Have you tried forcing an older firmware onto the apex? Its possible that might help.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Have you tried forcing an older firmware onto the apex? Its possible that might help.

Hi Zombie,
    how do I "force" it? The last thing I tried was unplugging everything, run the .exe from the F/W update, and when trying to communicate after the attempt, then plugging everything back hoping it will force a "handshake" between Apex and the computer but, nothing.... Is there any other way to "Force" it?

Quote Originally Posted by Canelo View Post
    Hi Zombie,
    how do I "force" it? The last thing I tried was unplugging everything, run the .exe from the F/W update, and when trying to communicate after the attempt, then plugging everything back hoping it will force a "handshake" between Apex and the computer but, nothing.... Is there any other way to "Force" it?
    That's the method to force.

Hi there,

My Apex Classic was working like a Charm until I did the 4.53 F/W update on Sunday, it rebooted and then my display turned blue and everything is gone. I am running all my tanks now without Apex so nothing like CaReactor, ATO's with Kalk, DOS, heaters, refugium lights, etc., etc. is working, too bad as now I am blind. I contacted Apex today but after re-doing the tricks on the book, I was told to send the unit back to them. I really don't have the time to dismount everything from my tank, buy power strips, pay for shipping, $35 diagnose and from $35-$150 for Neptune to check, send it back and then re-mount everything again just because of a routine F/W update that went run even when I did everything as required. I read that others have been having problems after the update so apparently it is a corrupt F/W.

I tried to find the Old Dashboard too, but now the Apex is not found. Disconnected, reconnected, well, everything...

Have anybody found how to solve this issue before I have to take down all the well mounted units?

Thank You All in advance!
    You only need to send in the base unit and maybe the display not everything.

This is one of those times where having your Fallback statements correct can make or break you. If they are correct then the EB8's will continue to power critical equipment even with the head unit missing. This would save you from having to use other power strips while the head unit is gone.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    You only need to send in the base unit and maybe the display not everything.

This is one of those times where having your Fallback statements correct can make or break you. If they are correct then the EB8's will continue to power critical equipment even with the head unit missing. This would save you from having to use other power strips while the head unit is gone.

That's entirely correct! The only thing is the ATO's, lights, heaters and CaReactor; things that are variable and then the controller is in charge. Thanks God the Ca+Reactor and heaters were set using the controller as redundancy and not mainly controlled by the Apex (just as a tip for users relying on Apex to do the main job). Things like this Could and will happen, is just a matter of "When".
    I understand that these things could happen with any electronic product however, I still don't understand why the user have to pay shipping to send the unit then from $35-$150 charge for something that is not by any mean the user's fault. It is a Firmware update (maybe corrupt file) that is causing a lot of issues as I have seen on different forums and add the mess of disconnect equipment, go to the mail, box it, etc. and then, put it back together as organized as it was before.

Additionally, why these "not cheap" internet based controller can't do updates by itself like other more complex electronic equipment? Come on, we are in 2017 to still have to connect laptops and manually do these tasks... not everybody have the TIME or ability to do this and they buy these equipment to be able to enjoy an aquarium at home... just a thought!

Additionally, why these "not cheap" internet based controller can't do updates by itself like other more complex electronic equipment? Come on, we are in 2017 to still have to connect laptops and manually do these tasks... not everybody have the TIME or ability to do this and they buy these equipment to be able to enjoy an aquarium at home... just a thought!
    It doesn't do updates itself because Neptune wants to give the user a choice as to when or if they update. Some people have the if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset and on one extreme I've come across people who don't even have the fusion firmware update from several years ago, or to a lesser extreme only update when a new module requires it. Then you have people like myself that want to have the firmware update asap to test out new features and changes. It gives you the freedom to update at a time you can be present for a long time if something goes haywire or skip altogether.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It doesn't do updates itself because Neptune wants to give the user a choice as to when or if they update. Some people have the if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset and on one extreme I've come across people who don't even have the fusion firmware update from several years ago, or to a lesser extreme only update when a new module requires it. Then you have people like myself that want to have the firmware update asap to test out new features and changes. It gives you the freedom to update at a time you can be present for a long time if something goes haywire or skip altogether.

And I understand, but it can be also done with an auto-update, manual update or schedule update option like laptops, cell phones, etc. Then the user will have the option like Neptune wants and the convenience for us. It will work for the vast majority, In my opinion, of course.

And I understand, but it can be also done with an auto-update, manual update or schedule update option like laptops, cell phones, etc. Then the user will have the option like Neptune wants and the convenience for us. It will work for the vast majority, In my opinion, of course.
    I could see that as a possibility. As long as it defaults to manual and gives people the option to auto-update with a short disclaimer about the risks of doing so.

@zombie remember that he is talking about the classic and not the 2016 (where he posted his comments). I don't see over the net updates happening for the classic in any form.

Oh yeah. Forgot he had a classic. That will never get that feature, but an auto-update on release of new FW for the 2016 would be plausible.

This thread is in the Apex (2016) area. Please do not discuss anything which pertains to the Apex Classics here. Use the Apex Classic area if you have an issue with an Apex Classic. They do use different hardware and do not use the same AOS, and mixing the discussion about the two generations of Apex just confuses matters.

Anyone who is experiencing abnormal behavior of their Apex which you believe is related to firmware - regardless of which model - should submit a support request. . That is the only way Neptune can get any solid information and visibility to any such issue.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks RussM. Will do! And will move my post to Classic Form.

Frequent Visitor
    So this goes back to neptune needing to fix their network stack still? Bad enough they dual homed the wireless and Ethernet to same level3 MAC address. But this business with routing and not handing connections via simple nat and firewalls is painful.

Maybe we should done some of our old routers to neptune to they can test firmware. Either that or loop in the community here by publishing real release note details so the community can help test. It all goes back to approach.

How many times do we have to have “network connection” issues with this controller ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12