Thread: Advice on AWC setup

Frequent Visitor

Advice on AWC setup

Hi everyone, I am in the process of setting up an Auto Water Change setup using a DOS and my water station that is in my basement 9-10 feet below my tank upstairs.

I have a two 65 gallon drum that hold my RO/DI and new Saltwater in the basement. On a wall panel I have mounted an energy bar 4 and plan on mounting the DOS. The energy bar 4 will connect to my new APEX EB 832 via an Aquabus running up through a conduit to the upper floor. My mixing pump will power from the EB4. I have not decided if I will power the DOS from the EB4 or run a cable up to the EB832 yet.

With my DOS downstairs high up on the panel I will have the tubing for the old water run to the sump upstairs and then from the DSO to my water softener waste line which goes outside. The tubing from the new saltwater tank will run to the dos and then up to the sump. My question- at my at risk for a siphoning issue?

I plan on keeping the new water tubing above the water line in the sump, but the old water drain line will have to be submerged so theoretically I could imagine a siphon draining out my sump (aquarium). I was thinking of adding a Neptune solenoid to the old water drain line and have it open only during water changes.

Am I missing anything? Anyone see a problem with this?

I am also going to have a PMUP in my RO/DI tank with a line running up to my sump for ATO. I am using the Neptune ATO kit and plan on mounting the FMM downstairs on the panel and connect a leak detector as well as optical sensor in my new saltwater tank to warn me when the tank is down to 5 gallons.

Any advice or pointing out an obvious issue I am not thinking about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    CD

The DOS has a power supply that can be used with an aquabus instead of 1link. You can just plug it into the wall.

Siphoning should not be an issue as the heads themselves act as valves. If you want to play it super safe, you could use a solenoid but this will require you to use timed profiles since there is no command linking the dos dosing to use to turn on the solenoid if you use the dos wizard.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Awesome Thank you! Very helpful!

Frequent Visitor
    I'm considering putting my NSW in the basement, I have not decided if I will put the DOS in the basement or leave it at the same level as the sump.

But I would like to know how much head in feet the DOS can pump if I put the DOS in the basement?
    also
    How much can it suck/vacuum in feet if I have the DOS at the level of the sump and pull the NSW up to the sump

Thanks
    John

24 feet. It is slightly better at pushing than pulling, but if it's less than 10ft of vertical either way will work without a hitch.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I have the 1/4" waste line from my RODI unit running down to the basement and into my basement drain. The drop is approximately 14 feet.

I'm looking to use the DOS system for automatic water changes. I want to "T" into my RODI waste line as detailed above and send my Old Salt Water down the same line.

Now for my question... Will I have a siphoning problem thru the DOS pump with a vacuum created by the waste line ending about 14 feet below?
    I don't want to siphon all the water out of my tank.

Regular Vistor
    I am trying to do something very similar. I have the apex fusion 2016 with the 832 energy bar, 2 FMM modules, The Par module, currently I am running the Atk and 2 leak sensors. I would also like to set up a awc system. I have 2 100gallon water storage tanks spliced to the storage tanks with a ro unit, which also consist of a booster pump auto flush valve and shut off valve that doesn't shut off the drain water. maybe i have it installed in the wrong spot come to think of it.. I'm kicking around a lot of ideas but ultimately I would like to use one of those 100 gallon storage tanks for awc. also I'd like to have a salinity probe and temp probe in the tank. I also think it would be benificial having a wave maker in the storage tank to try and switch up flow patterns hopefully preventing that white crap that likes to accumulates on electrical cords heater and what not in the holding tank.I recently purchased a couple more optical sensors one I was gonna use for a redundant sensor on my atk. I dont know if I need that seing how I am already using 2 optical sensors and a manuel shut off valve that comes with the atk. I would like to have my Ro unit shut off and fill when needed also be able to do awc to my main tank which is about 20ft tops away from the storage tanks . The drain from the main tank is probably 30ft away but I figured its just tubing I need? In a nut shell I was wondering if people could chime in and give me some suggestion on the best way to perform this task. Im already planning on getting the apex DOS I don't believe I need the reservoir chamber for what I am using it for. any other parts needed I don't mind getting. any help would definitely be appreciated.
    Thanks Anthony