Thread: Heater Programed in Apex as backup to auto thermostat.

New User

Heater Programed in Apex as backup to auto thermostat.

I have a tetra heater that is auto set to 78. I'd like to set up apex as a redundancy if it every stays in the on position for Apex to shut it off after 82. This is how I have it setup in apex but when I set it to auto the heater says it's off and the temp will get down below 76 without it turning on. What am I doing wrong?
    Apex Heater.PNG

The Heater Control Type is for use when the Apex is the primary control for the heater.

Most people prefer to use the Apex as primary control and use the heaters built-in thermostat as the backup. But if you want to go with your current approach, you will need to use Advanced Control Type, then use this program:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Your issue is that the outlet had nothing to turn it on until the temp dropped below 73.

and I 100% agree with Russ on his comments above.

+1 for Russ' recommendation. The Apex has a much better accuracy and can control over a tighter range. I like to control at a given temp +/- a tolerance. So if you want to keep the tank at 78 +/- .5, set the On Temp to 77.6 and the Off Temp to 78.4. That would give you a range of 77.5 to 78.5. Then set your heater thermostat to 82 if that is your desired safety point. If you have cooling fans, make sure there is no overlap in the temp range or they will be fighting each other and wasting energy.

I would concur as well. Not only do you get tighter temp control, you also increase the lifespan of the heater because you don't wear out the contacts that turn on/off based on temp.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thank you so much everybody for your input. I originally purchased the apex jr with the intent of using it control my heater, however doesn't it wear out the relay switch? My heater doesn't have an adjustable thermostat, it's auto set to 78, which it keeps within 1 degree, which I feel is pretty good. The heater was cheap and easily replaceable, the apex jr not as much. Thoughts?

The relays do eventually wear out but can handle about 100-1000 times more switches than your typical heater before wearing out (usually good for 8-10 years of tight temp control with 0.3 degree hysteresis). If your heater is auto set, I would just use the code Russ gave you for the time being. Down the road when the heater is ready for replacement, I would get one with a digital thermostat and let the apex take primary control.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The Heater Control Type is for use when the Apex is the primary control for the heater.

Most people prefer to use the Apex as primary control and use the heaters built-in thermostat as the backup. But if you want to go with your current approach, you will need to use Advanced Control Type, then use this program:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
    When fallback is set to on does that mean that the default position of the switch is on and so if something were to happen to the heater where it would stay in the on posiition would it stay on past my off temp or would it kick off?

Fallback ON means in the event that the energy bar loses communications with the base unit, keep the outlet ON until communications is restored.

Frequent Visitor
    I suggest you download and read the comprehensive reference manual located in the Neptune links at the top of the page. It describes all the programming code.