Thread: Webcam suggestions for black Friday?

Regular Vistor

Webcam suggestions for black Friday?

I was hoping to get some up to date suggestions for a web cam to monitor my tank. Any suggestions? I am not worried about super high quality video. I am mostly interested in cost and difficulty of setup. I would like to monitor the tank and sump so not sure if I should go with two cameras or one that can pan/tilt. With black Friday around the corner and Christmas vacation approaching, I thought this might be the time.

Thanks,
    Paul

Regular Vistor
    I was wondering if anyone has gotten Uokoo cameras to work in the apex dashboard? The price it good at $80 for 1080p and 50$ for 720p...

I've tried several and am most happy with this IP cam from Amcrest. It offers a 1080p stream as well as a separate MJPEG stream which is fairly easily integrated into Fusion. Also has pan/tilt/zoom which I find useful. The web-based viewer is reasonably functional and straightforward to operate, or you can also skip the web interface and access the cam locally if you prefer. SD card and cloud recording. Separate cam passwords for admins and guests. Lots of other features. iPhone app works well too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the reply and the recommendation. I did some searching in the neptune forums and it sounds like there is a bit of information about setting it up. Did you have problems getting yours to work in fusion?
    Thanks!
    Paul

I found it to be pretty straightforward getting the MJPEG video stream working in Fusion. You do need to configure the cam and then set up port forwarding to the cam in your router. I found that the trickiest part was getting the right command line. For this specific camera, the url you add to the media tile in Fusion is:

http://[username:password]@[ip address]:[port]/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?&subtype=1

For just a JPEG snapshot (which actually looks nicer than the MJPEG video stream), the url is:

http://[username:password]@[ip address]:[port]/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the help

Regular Vistor
    It took me a bit to figure out how to set up the port forwarding and the static IP address but thanks to your instructions on the url, I got through that piece quickly.
    Woohoo!
    The only things not working right now is most of the amcrest software isn't working for me on a windows 10 computer and to see the video in my apex dashboard, I need to used firefox or at least chrome doesn't work.

Congrats! Configuring ip cams to work with the current Fusion software remains fairly challenging. I'm a Firefox user anyway so I didn't experience the problem you mention. One thing I haven't been able to get around, though - Firefox (my version, anyway) won't allow an embedded username/ password in a url, so I get a prompt every time I bring up the Fusion dash. All the info is automatically entered, I just hit return, but still, I would prefer that the embed works as it should. I think that feature actually does work in Chrome.