Thread: Maximum Number of Switches

New User

Maximum Number of Switches

Hi

I have a lot of switches set up on my apex classic. When I go into the classic dashboard to rename my latest two from a DOS uinit, (which is possible as I have not named very many) they do not appear in the 'Probe Input section' . I've installed two DOS units today and switches from the first unit appear but not the second. I have about 75 probes, switches, floats etc listed. I also tried uninstalling the unit and reinstalling it and it made no difference. The interesting thing is everything appear in Fusion OK.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks
    Ian

I dont recall a maximum number of inputs, but I know there is a maximum number that can be renamed that was 24 and was expanded sometime this year, but don't remember how many that was expanded to.

With that said, that many modules on a classic does tend to get pretty wonky and mine starting acting up when I added enough virtual outlets that support had to telnet some changes to allow me to add more. It might be worth considering getting a 2016 apex and running your main tank off that and have secondary tanks on the classic.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks, the number 256 sticks in my head as the total outlets allowed, but I can't find where I read that. I would love to get the 2016 Apex, however in Australia it comes with the old style EB6 so there is little reason to upgrade.

The soft cap is actually 128 if I remember correctly, but support can increase that (though it starts acting wonky if they have many lines of code each so it's not recommended). 256 is the maximum number of available aquabus addresses but the apex starts acting wonky well before you ever have that many things attached and aquabus cable length alone limits you to 80 modules (which the classic will also act wonky with). There just isn't enough processing power in the classic to realistically handle more than about 3 large tanks with moderate code without the 1% bugs starting to surface.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Hi Zombie, I'm running this on one tank. I just a have a lot of DIY and modules hanging off it. I guess its time to stop adding to it. Thanks