Thread: Delay or Defer Network Startup?

New User

Delay or Defer Network Startup?

Is it possible to delay/defer network startup?

Background: I have frequently short power outages at my home. Every time this happens, the Apex network attempts to start before my router and/or bridge is back online. It fails to connect and does does not retry... it remains unreachable from Fusion until I manually reboot Apex from the display once my network is back up. I once had to walk a tank sitter through this and it was a nightmare. It would be really useful If I could somehow apply a "Defer 002:00 Then ON" to the network like I have on my skimmer.

Why not just put the router and apex on a UPS? That will solve the problem and have many added benefits. I dont know of any other way to solve that issue.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Why not just put the router and apex on a UPS? That will solve the problem and have many added benefits. I dont know of any other way to solve that issue.

I previously had complex mix of UPS(s) when I was running an Apex Lite. I had a CyberPower UPS for my Router and internet Antenna, an APC UPS for my bridge and PC, and then a 12v UPS powering the Apex Lite control module. This worked fine until a lightning strike wrecked havoc. It fried the CyberPower UPS, the Internet Antenna and router connected to it, the 12v UPS, and the APEX Lite motherboard connected to it. The APC UPS and stuff connected to it survived.

It was an expensive list of items that needed to be replaced so I prioritized. I ended up getting an Apex Jr., new internet antenna, and new router, but skipped replacing the 2 dead UPSs at the time. I plan on replacing the UPS on the router, but just haven't gotten around to it. I am not sure what to do about a UPS for the Apex Jr. It can't take a 12v UPS like my old one, so that means I would be powering all 4 of its outlets with the UPS as well. I could probably go 2 routes to make it work without draining the UPS in a hurry:
    A) make sure items plugged into the Apex Jr are low power draw items
    B) Add some code to monitor the EB8 and turn off the Apex Jr outlets if the EB8 loses power

Regardless, I would be purchasing 2 new UPSs, when all I really want is a line of code that delays the net startup LOL.

Director, Customer Experience Paul's Avatar
    Is DHCP enabled or disabled on the Apex? I had this issue on my home tank. Apex would boot up before the router. The solution was to disabled DHCP on the Apex and set the Apex static IP address outside the DHCP range of the router (or make a DHCP reservation).

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I previously had complex mix of UPS(s) when I was running an Apex Lite. I had a CyberPower UPS for my Router and internet Antenna, an APC UPS for my bridge and PC, and then a 12v UPS powering the Apex Lite control module. This worked fine until a lightning strike wrecked havoc. It fried the CyberPower UPS, the Internet Antenna and router connected to it, the 12v UPS, and the APEX Lite motherboard connected to it. The APC UPS and stuff connected to it survived.

It was an expensive list of items that needed to be replaced so I prioritized. I ended up getting an Apex Jr., new internet antenna, and new router, but skipped replacing the 2 dead UPSs at the time. I plan on replacing the UPS on the router, but just haven't gotten around to it. I am not sure what to do about a UPS for the Apex Jr. It can't take a 12v UPS like my old one, so that means I would be powering all 4 of its outlets with the UPS as well. I could probably go 2 routes to make it work without draining the UPS in a hurry:
    A) make sure items plugged into the Apex Jr are low power draw items
    B) Add some code to monitor the EB8 and turn off the Apex Jr outlets if the EB8 loses power

Regardless, I would be purchasing 2 new UPSs, when all I really want is a line of code that delays the net startup LOL.
    Now that I think about it some more, I recall many people solving that problem with static IP as Paul suggested several years ago so I would do that as a first step.

Regarding the UPS, you could get away with option B to get the benefit of power outage notification and keeping some flow in your tank by trying to keep low wattage devices on the EB4 and turning off everything except a powerhead on the EB4 when the EB8 loses power. That would be fairly inexpensive and provide some extra piece of mind.

New User
    Thanks Guys... I went into my router's DHCP configuration and set up a reservation for the Apex at its current IP address, disabled DHCP on the Apex, and rebooted it. Looking at texts from Fusion over the last few months, there were power interruptions 9/6, 9/10, 9/25, 11/6 and 11/17. I guess it shouldn't be long before it happens again and I can see if the change works.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Thanks Guys... I went into my router's DHCP configuration and set up a reservation for the Apex at its current IP address, disabled DHCP on the Apex, and rebooted it. Looking at texts from Fusion over the last few months, there were power interruptions 9/6, 9/10, 9/25, 11/6 and 11/17. I guess it shouldn't be long before it happens again and I can see if the change works.
    You can always simulate it. Unplug both then plug in apex, then plug in router. If your house has a main on the panelboard you could also cut power to the whole house then close the breaker back in.

New User
    It will take no time to simulate it.

Thanks Paul for the suggestion, I was able to take care of this proactively. I also went back and tested to confirm, back up and running.

I think this should be a note in the setup. My main router takes forever to boot up where my wifi extender does not, and that's what I have the APEX connected to directly.