Thread: Optical Sensor Alarm

Frequent Visitor

Optical Sensor Alarm

I have an optical sensor (ATO_LO) to sense when my ATO reservoir is low and want to program apex to send an alarm when the water level drops below the sensor. I changed the programming for base_emal and added the last line in the program below:

Set OFF
    If Sump_H CLOSED Then ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If FeedB 005 Then OFF
    If Error FMM-24V Then ON
    If Leak_d CLOSED Then ON
    If Skimma OPEN Then ON
    If ATO_Lo OPEN Then ON

But when I do that I start getting repeated alarms every 10-15 seconds saying "Status: OFF, Statement: Set OFF" I can stop the notifications by deleting the line I added then I don't have the alarm.

What's going on? And as an aside, why does Apex use such an antiquated method for programming alarms instead of simply programing alarm conditions directly at the input?

Untitled.png

Try adding defer 000:05 Then ON and see if that helps. Also make sure the outlet is in auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    And as an aside, why does Apex use such an antiquated method for programming alarms instead of simply programing alarm conditions directly at the input?
    They actually already do for most inputs on the 2016 apex but not for everything yet. I personally prefer the email outlet myself as I can quickly see what everything is set at with a quick glance and also stop alarms from sending during work hours and while sleeping.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I don't use the FMM, but reading the description it is OPEN when wet. So if you are using it for low reservoir, I assume it is normally submerged and wet. Try changing it to CLOSED.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I don't use the FMM, but reading the description it is OPEN when wet. So if you are using it for low reservoir, I assume it is normally submerged and wet. Try changing it to CLOSED.
    Optical sensors indicate OPEN when dry, CLOSED when wet. I think of it as “covered = CLOSED” - both begin with a C.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks Russ. If that is the case then the website description is wrong: "These optical sensors work by using an LED emitters and receptor in clear enclosure such that when it becomes wet, the light bends and no longer completes the circuit."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Thanks Russ. If that is the case then the website description is wrong: "These optical sensors work by using an LED emitters and receptor in clear enclosure such that when it becomes wet, the light bends and no longer completes the circuit."
    That is what happens inside the OS, but the FMM translates that into the expected and logical OPEN = dry or CLOSED = wet indication.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I can confirm that Russ is correct in his description. I can also confirm that I'm (a bit of) a bonehead - I programmed the alarm for the sump level sensor, not the sensor at the bottom of my RODI reservoir. Changed the sensor name in the program and it works much better!

I still have to ask why/how you an get 20 alert messages within 15 minutes, all saying "Status: Off" without ever getting an alert that the status is on? Overall, I haven't been to impressed with the alarm programming & functionality the Apex.

Doh! Glad you figured it out. In the past, I have had issues where the email outlet does not indicate the correct statement that caused the error. When it happens it appears to choose the statement immediately after the correct one. In your case that would be the Set OFF since it cycles back to the top. I don't rely on this particular functionality. When I get an error indication, I look at the overall status and can usually figure out what has gone wrong pretty quickly.