Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire 8 tablet only shows 2 columns

Fire 8 tablet only shows 2 columns

Quote Originally Posted by FishOrMen View Post
    I'm not sure you understood what you quoted. It is absolutely a Neptune Systems issue. I am not familiar with their app as I wasn't on their development team...but you can ABSOLUTELY have an app that works on multiple devices. Neptune understands what Russ said (I'm assuming he's correct) Neptune could easily include logic to determine screen size and make the proper adjustments....if the Fire HD 8 is reporting the "wrong" screen size, Honestly they need to do a lot of work on their app ...it isn't even really an app...its more of a shortcut to fusion wrapped up like an app
    There is no kindle app, Neptune didn’t program anything for the Kindle, so it is not “their issue” to fix. This thread is about how Apex Fusion (the web interface) renders differently between the Kindle 7 and the 8. I have both, and understand what the problem is. It is an issue that Amazon needs to fix.

There is an Android app though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Nope, unfortunately there is no Fire app...Neptune did not create one. I disagree...I think since it is their app they should try and get it in as many people's hands as possible. We would all download it. It is and issue they can fix for their customers. I'm not saying they are required to, I'm saying they can make this work if they wanted. Does it work on the 7? I have an 8 hd and want to return it for a 7....since i only got it for my Apex. Personally I dont like the Fire tablets and think Amazon should stick with Android. Much larger user base. This is a problem that can be worked out by the app developers not Amazon. Amazon could definitely make it easier to integrate Android apps, considering it is based on android. Their might be hardware involved in Amazon making changes. I personally have not spoken with the Amazon engineers and chip designers so I'm not sure. The point is Neptune CAN fix it. Amazon might be able to might not. Also I've heard this isn't the only tablet it does not work with...there are many others that don't treat Android apps natively or they are doing some weird workaround and the app and site do not work with them either. I only get ONE column in portrait mode. Why can't it scale? Yea I am using the android app,...just happens to not work on an android BASED system unfortunately. Although, I am not surprised. I've been noticing a lot of things Neptune needs to work on. Are you using your 7 or 8 for your apex? Do you know if certain models of the 7 work and some don't?

I have a 7 that I display my main Apex unit on and an 8 that is displaying my Apex Jr. I don’t know if there are multiple versions of the 7, I haven’t heard of anyone having issues with them.

I agree with you that this is something Neptune could fix if they wanted to make a Kindle App, but Fusion was created to be a replacement for the apps that they had across multiple platforms and to start developing apps again would be a step backwards and would take resources away from other projects (like the Trident).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FishOrMen View Post
    I'm not sure you understood what you quoted. It is absolutely a Neptune Systems issue. I am not familiar with their app as I wasn't on their development team...but you can ABSOLUTELY have an app that works on multiple devices. Neptune understands what Russ said (I'm assuming he's correct) Neptune could easily include logic to determine screen size and make the proper adjustments....if the Fire HD 8 is reporting the "wrong" screen size, Honestly they need to do a lot of work on their app ...it isn't even really an app...its more of a shortcut to fusion wrapped up like an app.

why should there even be an app? how about push notifications, maybe increase security and add 2fa, the sky is the limit...they just need to build a real app. If you don't find those features useful and would rather use the web interface....no problemo. "The whole point of having a web based UI is so that you don't have to write seperate programs for different platforms" Are you blaming Amazon for Neptune's decision to build an app? I'm not sure what your point was in that last sentence. Sure, the app isn't necessary....talk to Neptune....it is their app and they have complete control of it.
    I own a fire HD 8 and HD 10 and have tested this issue through multiple different types of websites and what he quotes from Russ isn't just some one off that occurs on fusion. The fire HD 8 and 10 tablets report the wrong resolution to all mobile sites and it screws up the sizing everywhere. It is indeed an Amazon problem and not a Neptune problem. Several others and I have sent this info to Amazon support hoping for a firmware fix and nothing has happened.

The app simply does not work on fire OS because it is based off on older unsupported version of android with missing features that are required for push notifications to work (without push notifications, the app is no different than fusion for all intents and purposes). I have sideloaded and forced the app to run and it just crashes due to the OS conflict.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I have solved this problem. I have a Kindle HD 8 (8th Generation) that was only showing 2 columns when horizontal. I checked http://mydevice.io as suggested by Russ and indeed it showed the device width/height as 601x982.

You will need to enable "developer options". You can google how if you don't already have them enabled.

I went to Settings -> Device Options -> Developer options

Scroll down to the DRAWING section and change "smallest width" from 600 to 800.

That's it. http://mydevice.io now reports the screen size as 800x1280 and I get 3 columns.

Ron

New User
    Some updates to the above post. The "smallest width" field changes based on orientation. I was in portrait when I entered 800. Also, I found out that 700 works better for me (still 3 columns but bigger as the resolution is 704x1126). So you may want to experiment.

Ron

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rwgarrison View Post
    Some updates to the above post. The "smallest width" field changes based on orientation. I was in portrait when I entered 800. Also, I found out that 700 works better for me (still 3 columns but bigger as the resolution is 704x1126). So you may want to experiment.

Ron
    Thanks for this. I was just about to throw this thing out the window and buy the Fire 7. But now that I know this I'm thinking about getting the 10".

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassReef View Post
    Actually, it seems kind of strange that no one from Neptune replied to you. After all, they made a video pushing the use of a $50 Fire tablet with Fusion. That's what made me go out and buy one.
    I did the same..

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmheron View Post
    Fire 7 works with 3 columns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    show off! 😄

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rwgarrison View Post

Ron

Just ran into this problem and found this post - thanks so much Ron for the hints to solve this! I've found setting the smallest width to 582 pixels (the OS sets it to this when you enter the closest value) gets me 3 columns at the largest resolution when the tablet is horizontal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12