Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire 8 tablet only shows 2 columns

Tom

Fire 8 tablet only shows 2 columns

I just bought the Fire 8 tablet so that I could use it for displaying Fusion. I got it running - no problem - but Fusion only shows 2 columns (instead of 3). Is this a known problem, if so, is there a fix in the works?

Thanks for any info.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassReef View Post
    I just bought the Fire 8 tablet so that I could use it for displaying Fusion. I got it running - no problem - but Fusion only shows 2 columns (instead of 3). Is this a known problem, if so, is there a fix in the works?

Thanks for any info.
    I asked the same question back in Sept.. No luck

I read somewhere that Neptune never set up a style sheet for the resolution of the Fire 8. The 7 works fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tom
    Actually, it seems kind of strange that no one from Neptune replied to you. After all, they made a video pushing the use of a $50 Fire tablet with Fusion. That's what made me go out and buy one.

Regular Vistor
    The 10 also only shows 2 in vertical orientation. Horizontal shows 3.

If you look at the video that Terrence posted, his 7 is in the horizontal orientation.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall_Tank View Post
    The 10 also only shows 2 in vertical orientation. Horizontal shows 3.

If you look at the video that Terrence posted, his 7 is in the horizontal orientation.
    Horizontal works on the 7 also. Not the 8 though.

Tom
    I can verify the the 8 displays only 2 rows, both in vertical and horizontal mode.

Regular Vistor
    Anybody come up with a solution yet? This is the entire damn reason I bought a Fire Kindle 8 instead of a 7 cause i figured bigger display better resolution, but this 2 columns crap is terrible.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Anybody come up with a solution yet? This is the entire damn reason I bought a Fire Kindle 8 instead of a 7 cause i figured bigger display better resolution, but this 2 columns crap is terrible.
    Nothing that I have hard of yet. Simple fix for Neptune adding a stylesheet tho...

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry you guys are having all this problem. I bought a used Fire 7 on eBay for like 22 bucks and it's working great. Do you have the option of returning what you have and getting the older model?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg1960 View Post
    Sorry you guys are having all this problem. I bought a used Fire 7 on eBay for like 22 bucks and it's working great. Do you have the option of returning what you have and getting the older model?
    I bought a 7 to hold me over . Hoping they do something with the 8 soon though

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure if it's still on sale but I got a 7 from amazon for $29

Quote Originally Posted by jmheron View Post
    Nothing that I have hard of yet. Simple fix for Neptune adding a stylesheet tho...
    It is not a simple fix. There are no device-specific "style sheets" used... whoever told you that that is the solution was mistaken. That's an impossible task these days due to the massive number of different devices out there.

APEX Fusion presents the number of columns based on what the viewing device reports as its screen size. While the actual screen size of the Fire HD 8 is 800x1280 pixels, it reports itself as having a 980-pixel wide screen regardless of the orientation (portrait or landscape), not the actual 1280-pixel width when in landscape orientation. They also do weird stuff with the reported pixel size. This makes it appear to Fusion that the Fire HD 8 has a smaller, lower-resolution screen than the older Fire 7", and why a Fire HD 8 only gets 2 columns in APEX Fusion regardless of the Fire HD's orientation whereas the Fire 7" does get 3 columns in landscape. There's nothing that Neptune can do... this is an Amazon Fire/OS issue.

You can see this problem in action for yourself... open a browser on your Fire HD 8, and go to http://mydevice.io. Then rotate from portrait to landscape. The displayed screen width value won't change when you change the orientation. Do the same thing with your smart phone or other tablet, such as an iPhone or an iPad, and watch the reported width change when you rotate the device back and forth between portrait & landscape.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    It is not a simple fix. There are no device-specific "style sheets" used... whoever told you that that is the solution was mistaken. That's an impossible task these days due to the massive number of different devices out there.

APEX Fusion presents the number of columns based on what the viewing device reports as its screen size. While the actual screen size of the Fire HD 8 is 800x1280 pixels, it reports itself as having a 980-pixel wide screen regardless of the orientation (portrait or landscape), not the actual 1280-pixel width when in landscape orientation. They also do weird stuff with the reported pixel size. This makes it appear to Fusion that the Fire HD 8 has a smaller, lower-resolution screen than the older Fire 7", and why a Fire HD 8 only gets 2 columns in APEX Fusion regardless of the Fire HD's orientation whereas the Fire 7" does get 3 columns in landscape. There's nothing that Neptune can do... this is an Amazon Fire/OS issue.

You can see this problem in action for yourself... open a browser on your Fire HD 8, and go to http://mydevice.io. Then rotate from portrait to landscape. The displayed screen width value won't change when you change the orientation. Do the same thing with your smart phone or other tablet, such as an iPhone or an iPad, and watch the reported width change when you rotate the device back and forth between portrait & landscape.
    Good to know. Thanks for the details.

I'll start barking up Amazon's tree then

Tom
    Well, I've been using my Fire HD 8 since I stated this thread, last November. I've finally given up - Fusion is really great but, with only 2 columns it's only barely usable. I'm going to get another tablet. I don't want to spend more money than is absolutely necessary. Amazon is selling a Fire HD 7 for $39.00 - anyone know if it will display 3 columns?

BTW: I followed RussM's advice and checked out my Fire HD 8 on "mydevice.io". Curiously, it changes between Portrait (601px) and Landscape (962px). I played around with web design a while back and I remember that 968px was some kind of limit - but - that's all I can remember. Wonder what Fusion's 3 column "trigger" is.

Regular Vistor
    Fire 7 works with 3 columns.

Tom
    Thanks for the quick reply! Just so I'm sure I'm getting the right model, does yours have Alexa?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassReef View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Just so I'm sure I'm getting the right model, does yours have Alexa?
    No clue lol. I bought mine just after the first post on here. So my guess is yes? Don't use it though

Tom
    OK - thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Have you tried Fully Kiosk Browser?
    I have a fire7" but I can try with my kids Fire8 and report!

Tom
    Yes, I bought a "pro" license for $5. Great app! I like it a lot. It's perfect for creating a tablet that caters to Apex Fusion. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any function that would allow 3 columns to be displayed.

New User
    I’m using a fire 7 and still only get two columns when horizontal. Did something change or am I doing something wrong?

Aquaphile
    Hey Guys & Gals Amazon has its Fire 7 HD on sale today only for $29.99 if you are a Prime Member!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

New User
    Amazing how many other companies are able to produce a useable app on one of the most popular tablets, yet NOTHING from Neptune.

Quote Originally Posted by FishOrMen View Post
    Amazing how many other companies are able to produce a useable app on one of the most popular tablets, yet NOTHING from Neptune.
    As noted above, this is not a Neptune Systems issue, it is an Amazon issue....why should there be a specific app? The whole point of having a web based UI is so that you don't have to write separate programs for different platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    It is not a simple fix. There are no device-specific "style sheets" used... whoever told you that that is the solution was mistaken. That's an impossible task these days due to the massive number of different devices out there. s noted above, this
    A

New User
    I'm not sure you understood what you quoted. It is absolutely a Neptune Systems issue. I am not familiar with their app as I wasn't on their development team...but you can ABSOLUTELY have an app that works on multiple devices. Neptune understands what Russ said (I'm assuming he's correct) Neptune could easily include logic to determine screen size and make the proper adjustments....if the Fire HD 8 is reporting the "wrong" screen size, Honestly they need to do a lot of work on their app ...it isn't even really an app...its more of a shortcut to fusion wrapped up like an app.

why should there even be an app? how about push notifications, maybe increase security and add 2fa, the sky is the limit...they just need to build a real app. If you don't find those features useful and would rather use the web interface....no problemo. "The whole point of having a web based UI is so that you don't have to write seperate programs for different platforms" Are you blaming Amazon for Neptune's decision to build an app? I'm not sure what your point was in that last sentence. Sure, the app isn't necessary....talk to Neptune....it is their app and they have complete control of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast