Thread: Apex Classic Multiple Reboots on AOS 4.53_AB17

New User

Apex Classic Multiple Reboots on AOS 4.53_AB17

I have seen some reports of Apex reboots during networking issues on AB17, but it has all been in the Apex 2016 thread. I am wondering if anyone else has been seeing the issue with the Apex Classic. I have 2 tanks both have Apex Classics controlling them. I had just finish working on one (adding new lights) and was just sitting enjoying looking at them both when 1 tank powered off and powered right back on... While I was trying to figure out what was going with that tank, the other tank did the same... The only thing the tanks share is the internet. The reboot cycle continued where 1 tank would reboot and the other would then reboot for another 3 or 4 reboots, then stopped and has not started back up since. I have opened a case with support and working it with them, but wondering if others have seen this?

I have been running AB17 firmware for a few weeks now without issue until yesterday. The only other thing I can correlate with the issue was my wife was cleaning in a different room where the router is and might have knocked it which could have caused it to reboot or something, but this is mostly speculation. I have since reboot the router and this did not cause any tank reboots. If I find something from support I will update the thread.

I haven't had any issues with my classic, bit I believe I saw 2 or 3 people with the same rebooting issue that was posted about the 2016s. I would continue troubleshooting with support so they can get as much info for a fix as possible if it's somehow related.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Against my better judgement, I decided yesterday to upgrade my flawlessly-functioning Apex Classic to the latest firmware. Hard-wired my Apex to router and updated without issue. Since the update yesterday my Apex has rebooted/power-cycled 55 times. Needless to say the constant power failure & restore messages and my tank power cycling on/off are most troubling. And I’m leaving the tank for a vacation in a week :-(

Can you roll-back/install an older FW version??

Quote Originally Posted by ImagesbyJDA View Post
    Against my better judgement, I decided to yesterday to upgrade my flawlessly-functioning Apex Classic to the latest firmware. Hard-wired my Apex to router and updated without issue. Since the update yesterday my Apex has rebooted/power-cycled 55 times. Needless to say the constant power failure & restore messages and my tank power cycling on/off are most troubling. And I’m leaving the tank for a vacation in a week :-(

Can you roll-back/install an older FW version??
    You can on a classic. Just make sure you remove any programming statements that use features not available in the previous firmware are removed first or it will freak out.

New User
    Great thank you I’ll do that. Does Neptune keep older FW available for d/l? I’m trying to search for firmware and version history to find the previous version which I was using on my phone, but it’s a little hard to tell via mobile device...

Was it 4.20??

Quote Originally Posted by ImagesbyJDA View Post
    Great thank you I’ll do that. Does Neptune keep older FW available for d/l? I’m trying to search for firmware and version history to find the previous version which I was using on my phone, but it’s a little hard to tell via mobile device...
    Not publicly available. Support keeps them on file as do most classic owners that update firmware often.

New User
    Great :-(

Sorry to hijack the thread, good luck to the OP (and the rest of us) in figuring out this problem..

Regular Vistor
    Yesterday a do the upgrade and get the same issues with my classic Apex. How do you resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodenj View Post
    I have seen some reports of Apex reboots during networking issues on AB17, but it has all been in the Apex 2016 thread. I am wondering if anyone else has been seeing the issue with the Apex Classic. I have 2 tanks both have Apex Classics controlling them. I had just finish working on one (adding new lights) and was just sitting enjoying looking at them both when 1 tank powered off and powered right back on... While I was trying to figure out what was going with that tank, the other tank did the same... The only thing the tanks share is the internet. The reboot cycle continued where 1 tank would reboot and the other would then reboot for another 3 or 4 reboots, then stopped and has not started back up since. I have opened a case with support and working it with them, but wondering if others have seen this?

I have been running AB17 firmware for a few weeks now without issue until yesterday. The only other thing I can correlate with the issue was my wife was cleaning in a different room where the router is and might have knocked it which could have caused it to reboot or something, but this is mostly speculation. I have since reboot the router and this did not cause any tank reboots. If I find something from support I will update the thread.

New User
    The only thing that seems to fix it is downgrading based on the earlier posts. I worked for Support for a few weeks to narrow it down, but of course my reboots stopped and I closed the case. However, the reboots started back up a couple of days ago and now I am contemplating downgrading. If your reboots are consistently happening, I would open a case as well and see if they can better track down the issue. The root of the issue seems to be around the networking stack, but that is speculation on my part.

New User
    Well I finally bit the bullet and ran 150' of Cat5 and hardwired the Apex to my router. All of my problems have been resolved, the Apex has run perfectly without any disconnections for over 2 weeks, so at least in my case it was a wireless networking issue. Good luck and Happy New Year to you all,

John