Thread: Seasonal Temp programming

New User

Seasonal Temp programming

Hi there

I understand the code to be used in programming temp for Regional temp. I get the IF Temp < RT+ part of it. My question is about the differential value. Is the differential really to increase what the Regional Temp is for that time without having to edit tables? Or is that more to give it a bigger window so the heater/fans aren't constantly cycling on/off?

I just want to understand that part better before trying to use it.

Thanks so much

-mark

It's there to build your hysteresis around the seasonal temps. Edit the table to the temps you want each month and then use the differential part to give it a band to work with. 0.0 for both gives 0.3 degree hysteresis, 0.1 and -0.1 gives 0.5 degree...etc. It can also be used to add daily (dirunal) variation. I personally use virtual outlets so the average temp changes 0.5 degrees from night to day.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by markywmson View Post
    Is the differential really to increase what the Regional Temp is for that time without having to edit tables? Or is that more to give it a bigger window so the heater/fans aren't constantly cycling on/off?
    Yes.. it is simply an offset.

RT+0.0 uses the value for that day from the season table
    RT+1.0 uses that value plus one degree
    RT+-1.0 uses that value minus one degree.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    This is how I programmed it, just keeping the base tables and adding 0.1 to give it a half degree of fluctuation.

Everything seems ok so far, but I just wanted to make sure that I did it right.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Tmp < RT+-0.1 Then ON
    If Tmp > RT+0.1 Then OFF

And if needed, this can be moved to the heating section of the Forum. Didn't see that one before posting here.

Thanks again. And Zombie, I'd sure like to know more about how you do that with virtual outlets. That seems really cool. But baby steps for me.

-mark

Delete the Set OFF statement. This is one of the times that a Set should not be used. See this sticky for more details: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...l=1#post114462
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

This is how I programmed it, just keeping the base tables and adding 0.1 to give it a half degree of fluctuation.

Everything seems ok so far, but I just wanted to make sure that I did it right.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Tmp < RT+-0.1 Then ON
    If Tmp > RT+0.1 Then OFF

And if needed, this can be moved to the heating section of the Forum. Didn't see that one before posting here.

Thanks again. And Zombie, I'd sure like to know more about how you do that with virtual outlets. That seems really cool. But baby steps for me.

-mark
    It's actually fairly simple. This is for 3 steps. My code is a bit more complicated cause I have all sorts of additional failsafes and whatnot, but this is the daily variation part. My peak day is at 4pm, so it's high from 13-19, low from 1-7, and mid the other 12 hours.

HeatHigh (VO)
    If Temp < RT+0.2 Then ON
    If Temp > RT+0.4 Then OFF
    If Time 19:00 to 12:59 Then OFF

HeatLow (VO)
    If Temp < RT+-0.4 Then ON
    If Temp > RT+-0.2 Then OFF
    If Time 07:00 to 00:59 Then OFF

HeatMid (VO)
    If Temp < RT+-0.1 Then ON
    If Temp > RT+0.1 Then OFF
    If Time 01:00 to 06:59 Then OFF
    If Time 13:00 to 18:59 Then OFF

Heater (physical outlet)
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet HeatHigh = ON Then ON
    If Outlet HeatLow = ON Then ON
    If Outlet HeatMid = ON Then ON

New User
    Thanks guys! Huge help!!

That's a really cool thing with the daily temp swing. Once I get more comfortable with Virtual Outlets I likely will try that. Want to play around with something that I can screw up and not have consequences first!

Thanks guys! Huge help!!

That's a really cool thing with the daily temp swing. Once I get more comfortable with Virtual Outlets I likely will try that. Want to play around with something that I can screw up and not have consequences first!
    That's where virtual outlets become veeeeery helpful. Until you call them out in an outlet they don't actually control anything. You can play with them to your hearts content, see how they react in real time or in logs, and then when comfortable call them out in outlet code.