Thread: 24v relay power outlet for 1700watts ~plug and play

Frequent Visitor

24v relay power outlet for 1700watts ~plug and play

I need help finding something. I am not sure how to describe what I am looking for.(likely the main reason I can't find what I am looking for on Amazon) Picture something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-147...67X30J8AG70FZ1
    BUT instead of a physical switch it is controlled via 24volts. This way I can control a 1700watt heater via the Apex.

This is kind of along the lines of what I am looking for however I really don't want to wire anything besides the low watt 24volt connection: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/119 I am not electrician and not comfortable wiring connections that handle well over 8 amps.

I know the automatic reflex is to recommend using 3 smaller heaters, but for this particular tank that would be using 9+ smaller heaters. I need somewhere between 5-8kw of heat to maintain the temperature in this particular tank and really want to use less than 5 heaters.

Frequent Visitor

That RX1 would work, just make sure you plug it into a circuit that nothing else is powered with. You may need to have an electrician come by anyway to provide an extra 15A or 20A circuit with only a single outlet connected if you don't have one there already. If you do have one there already, make sure to put covers over the other outlets on the circuit so nobody can use them. Even charging a laptop on the same circuit will trip the circuit breaker while the heater is on.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    How about the second one, the one on Amazon? (this one: https://smile.amazon.com/XANTECH-AC1...15A%2F120V+24v) I like how it mounts to the wall better.

Thanks for the heads up, but no problem at all on the 20A dedicated circuit. I have ~20 different outlets on dedicated breakers spread out across the filter room, and on the floor above where the tank, is each with 20amps.(all under a 200amp breaker dedicated to the fish tank).

Looks like it would work as well.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Great thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    Actually the XANTECH AC1 on amazon would likely be a bad idea. Looking at the FAQ I found this unit is NOT GROUNDED. A little dangerous for this application. :-( Leaning back towards the Agrowtek, but will also likely look for a third option.