Thread: pH Reading Low

Regular Vistor

pH Reading Low

A few months ago I switched from an Apex Classic to a 2016 and since then my pH has been varying between 7.5 and 7.7. With my Classic it was always in the 8.0 to 8.3 range. Nothing else really changed in my system. My pH would vary slightly depending on whether the windows were open or closed but it was never too much of a swing. I feed my air intake on my skimmer with an line from outside. I've tried to re-calibrate it multiple times with the same result. Tonight I re-calibrated and checked the readings against the calibration solutions afterwards. I got a reading of 6.71 in the 7.0 solution and 9.72 in the 10.0 solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

Either the probe is starting to go, you didnt leave in solution long enough (do manual calibration 5 min per solution not auto), or there were bubbles when you calibrated.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Either the probe is starting to go, you didnt leave in solution long enough (do manual calibration 5 min per solution not auto), or there were bubbles when you calibrated.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Thanks I did calibrate it manually 2x times tonight and left it in the solution for at least 5 minutes. The probe is only a few months old.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mikes781 View Post
    Thanks I did calibrate it manually 2x times tonight and left it in the solution for at least 5 minutes. The probe is only a few months old.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    i am having exactly the same issue. Apex and probes are brand new, pH probe reading 7.7 and pH of tank is 8.1. Calibrated several times and no change. What is the answer?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Stick the probe back into the reference packet and see if it reads correctly. Rinse the probe off with a little rodi and shake excess water off as to not pollute your ref packets.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Stick the probe back into the reference packet and see if it reads correctly. Rinse the probe off with a little rodi and shake excess water off as to not pollute your ref packets.
    i will try this when i get new calibration solutions. Neptune support suggested that i reboot the Apex and calibrate manually after the new solutions arrive.