Thread: Apex 2016 Conductivity Probe not calibrating

Regular Vistor

Question Apex 2016 Conductivity Probe not calibrating

I am in the process of setting up and configuring my brand new Apex 2016. I managed to calibrate the pH probe and get the temp and ORP probes set up, but have been unsuccessful in 5 attempts at calibrating the conductivity probe. I am working under the assumption that this is the "salinity" probe. I caught a sticky thread yesterday (after 3 failed tries) that said the probe should be allowed to sit in the sump/tank for a few hours to a day before attempting to calibrate. 24 hours later, it failed twice more. The dry phase seems to work as it should...green checks by the range and reading settled, though it goes for about 25 seconds or so, then gives a successful message and prompts the user to immerse the probe in the calibration solution. The reading settled gets a green check, but the red triangle and (!) show next to the range heading, and it eventually times out, saying it wasn't able to be calibrated. Did I get a defective probe, or is there something else I need to do to get it online?

Do a manual calibration rather than auto. Auto can be quite finicky especially with new probes. Also make sure you float the calibration packet in your sump for at least 15 minutes (clip or magnet helps) and keep it touching water for the entire calibration settling. The probe should settle for at least 5 minutes for each step and watch out for bubbles.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    I am getting a calibration error as well. I cleaned the salinity probe with a mix of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 RO water... I was crusty and full of coralline algae. I and dried out the salinity probe (overnight) and been trying to calibrate for the past day. I get an error on the first step of the calibration. I get a green check on "reading settled" but "acceptable range" reading has the red triangle. After the countdown ends I get an error saying "Calibration Failed. Probe was not able to be calibrated." Acceptable range remains with the red triangle.

Is there something I've missed?

Frequent Visitor
    As Zombie suggests, use manual calibration. Take note of the settling numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Ok did manual calibration. When calibration was complete I left the probe in the solution bag and it read 39.. shouldn't it read 35? Also I placed it in the sump and now reads 44!!!

Frequent Visitor
    If it reads 39 in calibration fluid then it did not calibrate properly.

What were the settling numbers?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    If it reads 39 in calibration fluid then it did not calibrate properly.

What were the settling numbers?

Hmmm if i recall correctly it was like 286.

Frequent Visitor
    Is that wet? What was dry?

Did you tap the probe to dislodge bubbles?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    What calibration solution are you using for the calibration? Also if not mentioned before as I didn't see it, make sure that the calibration solution is the same temp as the tank. Let the packet sit in your tank water for about 15 minutes or so before doing the calibration as PPT is very temp dependent.
    Chad

New User
    @vhuang - dont recall if the number was when wet or dry. I did tap the probe several times to dislodge bubbles.

@iamchadster - I used the 53,000 solution. I soaked the bag in my tank for at least 30 min before calibration.

I just ordered a few packets of the calibration fluid from BRS. Will attempt again when I get them and update the post. I'll take detailed notes this time.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanislav View Post
    I am in the process of setting up and configuring my brand new Apex 2016. I managed to calibrate the pH probe and get the temp and ORP probes set up, but have been unsuccessful in 5 attempts at calibrating the conductivity probe. I am working under the assumption that this is the "salinity" probe. I caught a sticky thread yesterday (after 3 failed tries) that said the probe should be allowed to sit in the sump/tank for a few hours to a day before attempting to calibrate. 24 hours later, it failed twice more. The dry phase seems to work as it should...green checks by the range and reading settled, though it goes for about 25 seconds or so, then gives a successful message and prompts the user to immerse the probe in the calibration solution. The reading settled gets a green check, but the red triangle and (!) show next to the range heading, and it eventually times out, saying it wasn't able to be calibrated. Did I get a defective probe, or is there something else I need to do to get it online?
    Okay...I did a manual calibration and it seemed to work, as the number began climbing...then went over 37ppt. I tapped the probe to dislodge any bubbles and got some. Now, for the past 24 hours, it's been plummeting down past 22ppt. My recalibrated refractometer is reading about 30ppt. Why is this blasted thing such a pain to bring and hold at something remotely resembling accuracy? Between the salinity probe not calibrating and the ATK module not being found by the base unit, I'm left wondering whether the money I spent on an Apex was really worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seanislav View Post
    Okay...I did a manual calibration and it seemed to work, as the number began climbing...then went over 37ppt. I tapped the probe to dislodge any bubbles and got some. Now, for the past 24 hours, it's been plummeting down past 22ppt. My recalibrated refractometer is reading about 30ppt. Why is this blasted thing such a pain to bring and hold at something remotely resembling accuracy? Between the salinity probe not calibrating and the ATK module not being found by the base unit, I'm left wondering whether the money I spent on an Apex was really worth it.

Did you do the calibration at tank temp and let it soak in your tank for a day before calibrating it?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Did you do the calibration at tank temp and let it soak in your tank for a day before calibrating it?

I did, and it seemed to help with the manual calibration...at least I thought it did, but since shaking a couple bubbles out a day and a half ago, it's now reading down from a high of 38 to a new low of 19ppt...and still dropping.

New User
    I had my probes calibrated out of the box without problem, but after 4 months, yesterday I wanted to re calibrate, and have same problem as above, I did acclimatise solution 447, selected right one in menu, and run for 3 min not 5 in sump, yet it was auto, with no success shaken/tapped for bubbles yes, and angled properly with the vent hole up, tomorrow I'll try again, also probe cleaned with vinegar and ro. Strange, as other episode I had with freeze of apex after feed ...