Thread: Brand New FMM. 1 Inch Flow Meters x2. Both Read Zero

Frequent Visitor

Brand New FMM. 1 Inch Flow Meters x2. Both Read Zero

1 Inch Sensors
    Varios 6 Pump (Wont register on low) 1 Registers 400gph on high (1720gph rated.) One registers zero on high.
    All threads secured with rectoseal
    Reads zero on both fusion, dashboard, and apex display
    Set to 1inch in classic dashboard. Set to Gallons.
    Newest Firmware
    Updated Web Pages
    Oriented with the arrow in the proper direction of the FLOW
    Clean and Had Plumbed
    Plenty of FLOW going through confimed visually

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
    1 Inch Sensors
    Varios 6 Pump (Wont register on low) 1 Registers 400gph on high (1720gph rated.) One registers zero on high.
    All threads secured with rectoseal
    Reads zero on both fusion, dashboard, and apex display
    Set to 1inch in classic dashboard. Set to Gallons.
    Newest Firmware
    Updated Web Pages
    Oriented with the arrow in the proper direction of the FLOW
    Clean and Had Plumbed
    Plenty of FLOW going through confimed visually
    Images

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Images

Firmware is up to date

Frequent Visitor
    Full reboot of apex- No fix

Hot swapped and updated a different FMM expansion box and went to those outputs, no fix.

I even tried changing it to 1/2 inch sensors just to see if I could get it to do anything!

What am I missing guys?

Frequent Visitor
    So I thought maybe a bad Aquabus cable. I daisy chained it in with my PM2, PMK and LSM and all the other modules work, meaning the signal to and through the FMM is working (FMM is first module now).

So thought maybe both my flow monitors are out.....I took a 1/2 inch flow monitor that was in the dry, hooked it to port 3 and blew through it hard enough to make it whistle and could not get it to register either.

Did you update the FMM MODULE firmware? I know one or two firmware revisions back some people had the same problem even though the module firmware said (OK) but was 1 version low. When they updated, the version incremented and all was well.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeap.

I actually updated the FMM firmware, then updated the apex firmware, then updated the FMM firmware again, the grabbed another FMM module and updated its firmware.

No love

Frequent Visitor
    Update. I said that one of the FMM registered around 400 on high. Was never able to replicate that (tried 5 times).

Regular Vistor
    i know u said it was new. I had the same issue took apart to make sure nothing was blocking also made sure they were free spinning
    when i put it back together worked like a charm and still does i just take it a part every couple of months they do catch debris not giving good reading every so often

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by inks View Post
    i know u said it was new. I had the same issue took apart to make sure nothing was blocking also made sure they were free spinning
    when i put it back together worked like a charm and still does i just take it a part every couple of months they do catch debris not giving good reading every so often
    I was prepared to accept that both brand new flow meters were jammed.

Until i plugged a 1/2 inch in held it up and blew through it and played it like a tazoo and it still registered at zero on port 3.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I was prepared to accept that both brand new flow meters were jammed.

Until i plugged a 1/2 inch in held it up and blew through it and played it like a tazoo and it still registered at zero on port 3.

The sensors look like they're plugged into ports 1 and 2, is it just a bad angle?
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Really dumb issues.

The bezel was preventing me from fully seating #1, and i took #2 apart and found 3 beads of bubble algae blocking it.

Since my chaeto/fuge feeds my return and all that seperates the two is a piece of sponge i suspect ill be pulling these out to clean them more than I'd want to.

The covers on varios pumps are just big grates and wont block any of this stuff.

Frequent Visitor
    As of this morning they both read within 20 to 25 of each other in all 5 settings.

That is likely accurate and within the operating spec of variation between two pumps and or the fact that the plumbing is slightly different on each mine.

Here it is on low.

Frequent Visitor
    I have found it necessary to clean my flow sensors every few months. Sometimes it's just an obstruction, but other times the paddle gets crud on the spindle and the sensor needs to be taken apart.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I have found it necessary to clean my flow sensors every few months. Sometimes it's just an obstruction, but other times the paddle gets crud on the spindle and the sensor needs to be taken apart.
    Can you clean it with Some thing like a tooth brush or does it really need to be disassembled?

I haven't looked closely but it didnt seem like something easily disassembled.

Frequent Visitor
    Can you clean it with Some thing like a tooth brush or does it really need to be disassembled?

I haven't looked closely but it didnt seem like something easily disassembled.

I run 5 flow sensors, and about every two weeks or so one of them reads zero. My first recourse is to turn off the pump/drain, then turn on again and the 'blast' of water sometimes restores function. I've also had to remove the sensor and observed a physical obstruction that was easily removed. One two occasions, the paddle wouldn't turn, but there was no obvious obstruction. This required disassembly of he sensor. It's not hard, just a matter of removing the screws. In both cases there was debris lodged in the holes that the paddle spindle fits into. There was also some corrosion on the spindle. Clean out the holes with a toothpick and compressed air and smoothed the spindle with 2,000 grit Emory cloth.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I run 5 flow sensors, and about every two weeks or so one of them reads zero. My first recourse is to turn off the pump/drain, then turn on again and the 'blast' of water sometimes restores function. I've also had to remove the sensor and observed a physical obstruction that was easily removed. One two occasions, the paddle wouldn't turn, but there was no obvious obstruction. This required disassembly of he sensor. It's not hard, just a matter of removing the screws. In both cases there was debris lodged in the holes that the paddle spindle fits into. There was also some corrosion on the spindle. Clean out the holes with a toothpick and compressed air and smoothed the spindle with 2,000 grit Emory cloth.
    If its only a few times a year no problem. If it is monthly then i mau decide it is not worth it