Thread: Wav’s and Battery Backup

New User

Wav’s and Battery Backup

I want to run the Wav’s on a UPS battery backup, but I am unsure how to do it. I will have a basement sump, so I will use the 1Link module and 24V power supply plugged into the wall near my display for the Wav’s. Then in the basement, I will have the EB832 plugged into the UPS and a 12V power adapter plugged into the head unit as the power monitor.

Will the Wav’s work off the UPS if they are not plugged into the EB832, or does the 1Link power supply need to be plugged directly into the UPS. If the 1Link is plugged into the UPS by the display tank can I power items on the EB832 in the basement with the UPS?

Thanks for the help!

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    In this scenario the best would be to have the 1link plugged into the ups. It will then power your wavs and back feed 12v to the Apex base unit for programming etc. and any modules that are hooked via aquabus cables together. Aqubus won't carry the 24v power needed on the wavs but will carry the 12v needed tonpower other modules.

Maybe a second ups on the eb832 if you wanted any ac devices on the eb832 to operate during the outage.
    Chad

The 1Link power supply will need to be plugged into a UPS or an EB832/EB8 that is plugged into a UPS. The Aquabus only provides communication.

-EDIT-
    Chad beat me to it, so I will add how I have my EB8s setup for my Classic. I have one EB8 that is on UPS (with large capacity batteries) and the other EB8 on mains power. This allows me to have critical equipment on backup power and the non-critical stuff will shutdown with loss of power. I use the mains EB8 to detect the loss of power condition and put the critical hardware into power-save operation. This also negates the need for a 12V adapter that on my unit was flakey.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    The 1Link power supply will need to be plugged into a UPS or an EB832/EB8 that is plugged into a UPS. The Aquabus only provides communication.
    aquabus provides information and 12v power.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    aquabus provides information and 12v power.
    Well yes, but that is to enable communication/module operation. It isn't capable of driving components/outlets.

New User
    Thank you both for your help!

If I have my 1Link power supply (and my router/modem) plugged into the UPS, I can’t use the power monitor feature to get an email alert when power goes out, correct? The EB832 needs to be plugged into the UPS?

The Apex operates off of the AquaBus. Any EBx that is on a UPS (or an adapter is used on the head unit) will provide 12 VDC to the bus and any module on it. But that is just for communication and control. If that module doesn't also have mains 120VAC power, then the devices plugged into it won't actually run.

So if you want to detect a mains power failure, you have two choices:

1) run the 12VDC power adapter and 1Link on the UPS and the EBx on mains. You can then detect power loss on the EBx.

2) run the 1Link and EBx on UPS and the power adapter on mains. You can then detect power loss on Apex (power monitor enabled).

Quote Originally Posted by bbhs23 View Post
    Thank you both for your help!

If I have my 1Link power supply (and my router/modem) plugged into the UPS, I can’t use the power monitor feature to get an email alert when power goes out, correct? The EB832 needs to be plugged into the UPS?
    The power monitor feature involves using an approved 12V adapter that can be purchased at BRS/NS store etc, and plugging it into a wall outlet or outlet that would go out in a power outage. The other end is plugged into the apex base unit aux power port. When power monitoring is enabled, this port acts like another probe essentially monitoring the input of 12v power. In order detect a power outage, simply get the 12v adapter, plug it into the apex base unit and enable the power monitoring feature. Programming for anything on an EB8etc plugged into the UPS can then be told to turn off or on. For example, I have my entire apex system on the UPS. I don't want heaters and big draw items running in an emergency so I have programming set to shut those off if the apex detects a power outage via the 12v adapter not supplying power. I can also tell my return pump to run at a slow setting. The apex base unit would be getting power via the aquabus cable that is connected to the eb8etc that is plugged into the UPS.
    Chad