Thread: Temp Probe: Apex Jr - Submersible or not?

New User

Temp Probe: Apex Jr - Submersible or not?

Hello!
    The quick start guide states to NOT fully submerge the probe, but the full documentation states you CAN. Which is it? I have just got my first Apex (a Jr.) due to my old temp control module being on the fritz and would like to hook this guy up asap

The heat shrink on the cable side of the probe doesnt look fully sealed, just crimped so I am thinking it should not be fully submerged but the conflicting docs has me confused.

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor
    I’ve had it both ways. I think the general consensus is not submerged but I risk it because I like it in the overflow instead of in the sump by the heaters. Mine at least 5 years old and (knock on wood) I haven’t had any issues

Mine has been fully submerged for years without issue.

Temp probes can be continuously submerged with no drawbacks. Conductivity probes can be continuously submerged with a slight chance of the cord getting brittle and going bad early (this takes many years). pH and ORP probes should not be submerged but won't be harmed if it's inadvertent and isn't longer than a day or two, Any longer and the saltwater creeping into the reference solution through the fill hole will kill them real quick.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thank you everyone, they should clarify this in their quick start guide as they make it pretty clear they dont want you submerge them, but must be talking about PH/ORP probe like zombie mentions.

Edit: they should also put a sticker on the temp probe with a DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE CAP on it, I went right for trying to see if it slipped off... lol

Thanks!