Thread: New optical sensor

Regular Vistor

New optical sensor

Hello fellow reefers👍 I just got my new sensor for the fmm mod. I want to put it in my overflow jug for skimmers waste. I’ve had this over fill and make a mess. So I want this sensor to let me know when it’s full and shut my skimmer down. How can I program this sensor do do this task?? Please be detailed on how to do this as I’m new and dumb to this program stuff😫. Thanks

You skimmer code should be in this form. Replace names to match yours.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output Return = OFF Then OFF
    If SkimFull CLOSED Then OFF
    If Power Apex OFF 001 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

And to have the Apex notify you that the jug is full, add the line 'If [sensorname] CLOSED Then ON' to your base email alarm code.

Frequent Visitor
    see how the optical sensor works - it may be prone to getting dirty and giving incorrect readings in a skimmate jug. Rinsing it off each time you empty the jug would be a good practice. I used a float switch mounted in the top of my skimmate jug for this reason. Another advantage of a float switch is that you can configure it so the switch is normally closed and opens when the jug is full. That way if the sensor gets disconnected for any reason your programming will read the jug as 'full' and turn off the skimmer. (yes, I figured this out the hard way when I forgot to plug in the float switch after emptying the skimmer!)

Since you have an FMM, a nice backup safety measure is to put a leak detector on the floor of your sump near the skimmate jug. That way if the jug overflows (or the sump) you can shut off the simmer and get notified.